• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hurricane Florence Prep

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I havent seen it this high in the 3 years i have been here. And we have a ways to go

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Just don’t stick the strap or rope through any slots or holes in that shaft if you like your arm. Also don’t wrap too much length.
True! Been there done that!

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Took a tree down, just in case. I've been questioning it for awhile now, better safe than sorry they say...

IMG_20180913_192250_793.jpg

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Praying for you guys down there!!!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We are doing good. Just got internet on my phone back. Water came close to house last night. Shut down the jenny and put away till morning. Tough night with little sleep. Water receded by the morning. Back on the jenny all day.
Been relentless rain and wind all day.
20180914_144823.jpg
My bridge and lower lot took all the damage. House, truck and boat fine

20180914_092247.jpg

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
New Bern has mentioned a lot in the news. Glad you're safe with minimal property damage. What's normally back there? A creek?

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes a creek with on average 3inchs to a foot. And 8 feet lower than the base of the fence. It came up 5 more feet than that pic last night.
The bridge i built to go over some wetland area to get to the creek

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For those wiring up a generator.

-SHUT OFF THE MAIN to your house
- Go BIG on the cord
- Wear leather gloves, eye protection, and rubber soles when pluging it in or flipping breakers.
- Shut down while fueling
- Do not run it in a garage or under living space even with the door open.

Common sense stuff but in a pinch some take chances .... its not worth it.

My custom cord (door knob for size reference)
View attachment 83128
Just heard someone died from plugging in their generator. Early news so dont know specifics.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just heard someone died from plugging in their generator. Early news so dont know specifics.
There have been 4 deaths reported so far according to my Weather channel news feed. The guy plugging in his generator was one of them. Ya'll stay safe.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A woman and her infant child were killed when a tree crushed their house. Husband in critical

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That is awful. I don’t know the cause but obviously all connections to any household wiring should be done by a licensed electrician. Grounding is super important. Some setups require a seperate chassis ground on the generator. In my case I went with 14-50 nema connectors 6/2- 8/2 RV wire and confirmed that my box was properly earth grounded suppling the box earth ground to the earth ground prong and that my generator chassis was connected to the earth ground prong on the other end. Wearing a welding mask, welding gloves, and rubber soled hiking boots may sound excessive for plugging in a geneator but that is what I do even with my robust wiring and a ground prong that is longer than the others (ever notice that ground prongs are just a tad longer than the others on male 120/240 plugs? This is for a reason.

One major warning I may have missed is if plugging into panel or household wiring first plug it in there before plugging into the generator. Doing this the other way around means having live prongs.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I chop off the ground plug with wire cutters. I rarely even shutoff the power to swap outlets and switches. Maybe i should be more careful! To me the ground is just a redundant common. It's only there for that remote chance that the common wire is cut while you are exposed to a bare wire. Besides the wire color, they are interchangeable to the main panel (but not a subpanel)

RedBarron55

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Jetcraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The "redundant" ground is to help keep from killing you or others.
The neutral is the same AT the entrance.
Think of the ground as an equipment ground, grounding the metal equipment cover and if there were a short inside then the breaker would trip and perhaps not kill you when you touch it.
The equipment ground and actual ground should be at the same potential so there is no potential between you (standing on the ground) and the equipment, internal short or not.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I chop off the ground plug with wire cutters. I rarely even shutoff the power to swap outlets and switches. Maybe i should be more careful! To me the ground is just a redundant common. It's only there for that remote chance that the common wire is cut while you are exposed to a bare wire. Besides the wire color, they are interchangeable to the main panel (but not a subpanel)
I hope to heck you are kidding??

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Question....using a freestanding generator and plugging extension cords into it (IE not connecting to the house wiring), is it still recommended to ground the generator? If so to what?
We dont ground when we tailgate and hook it up to the trailer to power TV ect

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well finally got out of the neighborhood, cleared a few roads with a friend and his tractor. Still roads impassable and flooded.
We are pretty much stuck here in New Bern.
20180915_133750.jpg
20180915_133745.jpg