• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hurricane Florence Prep

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For those wiring up a generator.

-SHUT OFF THE MAIN to your house
- Go BIG on the cord
- Wear leather gloves, eye protection, and rubber soles when pluging it in or flipping breakers.
- Shut down while fueling
- Do not run it in a garage or under living space even with the door open.

Common sense stuff but in a pinch some take chances .... its not worth it.

My custom cord (door knob for size reference)
4D0BCDD2-1807-4913-B6FB-9C6C25A421C3.jpeg

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thought we were gonna get slammed in Va beach, but it’s turned down south twice. Glad it’s not headed our way anymore but saying a prayer for those in it’s path. Good luck everyone and stay safe
Lots of time for changes to the forcast.....looks like Raleigh will not take the brunt of it now....but they keep changing, so I'm not holding my breath!

For those wiring up a generator.

-SHUT OFF THE MAIN to your house
- Go BIG on the cord
- Wear leather gloves, eye protection, and rubber soles when pluging it in or flipping breakers.
- Shut down while fueling
- Do not run it in a garage or under living space even with the door open.

Common sense stuff but in a pinch some take chances .... its not worth it.

My custom cord (door knob for size reference)
View attachment 83128
Someday I'm going to wire in a transfer switch for my generator....or go solar with batteries.....or both!

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@justason ... Wilmington resident, left for Raleigh to stay with my daughter. Put the boat and truck (connected) in storage yard 3 miles inland. Returning after the storm.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I assumed they would be dumping water from Falls Lake in prep for this storm, but its actually going up!
upload_2018-9-12_16-43-3.png

I wonder if they aren't dumping water because it will go downstream to those at the coast who will have plenty of water already? Still surprised they weren't dropping it early this week....

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Some pics from hurricane sandy spoke to some guys that stayed on Fire island they said they would never do it again, "it was terrifying ". listening to the ocean pushing one house into another and waves shaking the entire house that they were staying in. They called in for help the rescue truck didn't even make it close before it was swamped. Best of luck and leave if you are in the path everything gets re built with new and better items

20121117_095947.jpg 20121117_095839.jpg 20121115_145045.jpg 20121115_144416.jpg 20121115_144622.jpg 20121114_154909.jpg 20121114_154546.jpg

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I assumed they would be dumping water from Falls Lake in prep for this storm, but its actually going up!
View attachment 83136

I wonder if they aren't dumping water because it will go downstream to those at the coast who will have plenty of water already? Still surprised they weren't dropping it early this week....
Just the opposite here on Lake Murray. Plan was to start drawing down the lake October through November for a total
Of a 7.5 - 8 foot drop down to 350ft elevation. Looks like the impending storm and memories of flooding from a couple years ago sped up their plans.

The dry weather was dropping the lake gradually but now down almost a foot in less than two days. The little bump up Monday night was a severe thunderstorm. If you are on any lake in the possible affected area it is worth checking particularly if your boat is still in the water. My boat is on the trailer and my floating lift is submerged.

0B04DB4E-83E0-4428-BEF2-FAD30D558FD4.png

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm retiring early next year and have been trying to convince the wife that we should move down to the New Bern area. This is not helping my argument! lol
All kidding aside...we're praying for everyone in harms way. Keep your heads down and stay safe!

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
776AAB3C-E1F2-49D3-BE47-9C93CC2B66A0.jpeg I decided to be safe and pull the boat from my slip at the marina. She’s tucked away in the garage so I don’t have to worry. Plus I don’t have insurance so better safe then sorry.

Edit: I have room for another smaller boat if anyone in the area needs inside storage just pm me.

Last edited:

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I figured besides 4 wheel chocks per side i pushed the brakes on and put the lockout key on the opposite side. That way the brakes are locked on. Makes the trailer more stable
20180912_175548.jpg

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wait...what!?!? :eek:
Lol I haven’t needed it the last 37 years no sense in starting now. I go out during the week so it’s like having the lake to yourself and I’m not going to hit anything.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just checked our generator and some moron (me) didnt empty the gas out of it last time....not sure carb cleaner is going to cut it.....$#@!#%#&&$*$^#^@%!$%# IDIOT......

Spark plug is dry.....no fuel draining from carb bowl....fuel makes it to the hose entering carb....

Added stabil....
Julian 1 Generator 0 HA!!!! Julian's small engine repair shop is open for business! LOL

Got it running (cleaned carb, cleaned carb solenoid), let it run for a few minutes, then shut it off to see how hard it would be to re-start, and on the first pull the cord broke!!! GRRR.....so off to Homedepot to get a new cord. Install new cord, and the flanges that are supposed to go in and out to catch the shaft are not moving......GRRRR! Seems when I was recoiling cord, or when the cord snapped the internal spring also broke.....GRRRR. No one stocks this. While I was at work my wife looks up a place in Angieslist and take the recoil mechanism over to him and he repairs it! Need to find this guys name and give him credit!!!! Install new recoil starter, spray some starter fluid in....and she fires right up! Shut it down, and she starts right up again!

Now hopefully the power stays on and I don't need to mess with it again!!!!!! Worst case I have a small 2k generator that I can use in a pinch while I get the 6k one working.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yep been through a bunch of these over the 25 years I have lived here. I have been telling people all week we did not have much to worry about as the track it was on they almost always turn north of us. We will probably see 50 mph winds here and 6-8 inches of rain so nothing terrible I agree. Biggest problems we run into is the over preparation of people don't get me wrong I shouldn't call that an issue but things like most stores are out of water already and most gas stations here are out of gas already as well make it difficult to stay. Don't get me wrong all 4 of our cars have full tanks and there are two cases of water in the garage as well.
You are jinxing yourself with the always turn north statement.....this one is coming to get you....turning south! (well today it is....tomorrow it will head back to Bermuda!)

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I store everything full with stabil. If close to a year goes by, i drain it use in in my vehicle or tractor/mower then refill with fresh gas stabil and run it for a bit.
Never have issues and everything always starts right up

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just turn off the gas and let the carb run dry.. the gas thats in my gen is prob 3 years old or more... i added about 2 gallon of fresh... turned on the gas and boom.. running..

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
On my way home from work today I saw a large convey of about 15-20 tree cutting service crew headed towards the east coast to prepare and help. Y’all be careful!

8B6E0ECA-C71E-40B7-85B0-844E777669FE.jpeg 6CA1F5CE-9219-4203-9F29-5B02F1475BB8.jpeg

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have property in Wilmington...Brick ranch outside the flood zone...but we'll see what happens. my tenants evacuated today. I have my boat and vehicles all under roof....lets hope the roofs hold. A lot of trees are coming down in this one !!!

We are heading to "the bunker" about an hour north of Raleigh Wednesday night. I can sit it out till about March there if needed. @bronze_10 remember, case of beer and 2 boxes of ammo gets you in (don't tell @AndyD )

in all seriousness, Be safe friends and locals ! this is going to be a doozie, lives will be sadly lost no doubt. I'd expect weeks of recovery

@Gym, a parking deck is a great idea. We have one on NC state campus where I work....I had considered putting a car in there, but the boat is a solid solution.
But I could bring beer and ammo too....:(

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
On my way home from work today I saw a large convey of about 15-20 tree cutting service crew headed towards the east coast to prepare and help. Y’all be careful!

View attachment 83155 View attachment 83156
They are staging electical service trucks by my office at North Hills in Raleigh. There were 15-20 this afternoon.

I typically empty my generator and run it dry....I forgot to last time I ran it (moron). The carb was a mess....thanks to youtube on how the solenoid works and is cleaned...pretty sure that was my problem...pin wasn't retracting.