• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hurricane Florence Prep

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Question....using a freestanding generator and plugging extension cords into it (IE not connecting to the house wiring), is it still recommended to ground the generator? If so to what?
Contractors, tailgators, etc frequently do not ground their generator and hot swap plugs. Vast majority of the time they end up just fine but in rare circumstances this can cause injury or death. The simplest way to ground a generator is from the power head or ground nut to a rod in the ground or a vehicle frame using jumper cables. Simply make a path to ground or heavy metal object easier than running through your body.

Last edited:

RedBarron55

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Jetcraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Safest and code requires that the frame is grounded and there is a ground terminal on all generators for this purpose.
If everything is OK then OK, but....
If you were using the generator to supply power to the house a good idea would be to attach to the ground where the power company feed entrance is.
By the way this is THE ground for the house and the entrance is grounded here.
If you were out somewhere a ground rod would be nice, but I don't know anyone who does ground them regularly.
Using one on wet, storm soaked ground with, perhaps, the generator in the rain as well you cannot be too safe.
One death due to generator in the hurricane already.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Woohoo got my power and cable back on in New Bern, NC.
Only a day and a half on the jenny

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
During our hurricane experiences, we ground either to a) the house ground (there is usually a piece of rebar into the ground near the main breaker box--just hook on there) or b) drop a green wire with a piece of rebar or a really big bolt where the rebar or bolt is pounded into the ground.

RedBarron55

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Jetcraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The idea is that if you touch the equipment and are standing on the ground you and the equipment will be at the same potential and no current will flow through YOU.
Also if something shorts the voltage to the equipment case the short will trip the breaker, clearing the circuit and protecting the people.

LKNHokie

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Mainah I missed @Neutron already responded, sorry.
@LKNHokie I should edit my response, too, came out a bit rude which it was not meant to!
@Neutron is my guru bout anything trailer, ever since I did his "bow stop mod"! So... I get a little... solicitous.

--
No worries! Stressful situation, I get it.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm in Jacksonville .... It's bad here. We are doing fine. We had a roof leak and have had the ceiling in our laundry room collapse,but is a somewhat contained ordeal. We got power back mid afternoon yesterday so we are comfortable. I've lived here my entire 43 years and I've never seen anything like this. There is no way in or out of our county as of this morning. Houses underwater, businesses underwater, cars floating, coast guard helicopters rescuing. Cajun Navy and locals with flat bottoms continuously doing rescues.....and the relentless rain still coming. The downtown areas of Swansboro where we usually boat, look devastated. Looks like New Bern, Jacksonville, Carteret, Swansboro, areas took the brunt of this thing. I have heard as much from the more southern areas like Surf City, Topsail, Hampstead and Wilmington ... but I'm sure they are pretty rough as well.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm in Jacksonville .... It's bad here. We are doing fine. We had a roof leak and have had the ceiling in our laundry room collapse,but is a somewhat contained ordeal. We got power back mid afternoon yesterday so we are comfortable. I've lived here my entire 43 years and I've never seen anything like this. There is no way in or out of our county as of this morning. Houses underwater, businesses underwater, cars floating, coast guard helicopters rescuing. Cajun Navy and locals with flat bottoms continuously doing rescues.....and the relentless rain still coming. The downtown areas of Swansboro where we usually boat, look devastated. Looks like New Bern, Jacksonville, Carteret, Swansboro, areas took the brunt of this thing. I have heard as much from the more southern areas like Surf City, Topsail, Hampstead and Wilmington ... but I'm sure they are pretty rough as well.
I believe you have the highest rain fall totals there. Stay safe. Over 30”

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
My cousin in Bath, NC did well and the streets are drivable etc. Still horrid flooding but they may be higher at their house

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
just got some pics of our Wilmington place. I thought the big pines in the back would drop for sure. I didn't expect to see the standing water in the yard either based on our elevation. depending on max height it could have made its way into a couple doors with low thresholds. Shingles lost : probably early in the game so it saw a lot of rain exposed , overall we dodged this bullet...

rte 95 and 40 are closed for 100 miles each! It'll be weeks before I can get down there.

florence-2.JPG florence-4.JPG

upload_2018-9-17_10-43-28.png

ENC boater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Checking in from New Bern. We are currently in Trent woods. Well used to be woods maybe a few trees are left. We just got power last night about 9. Had a .2% of flooding and it got everything in garage and came about 1" in house. All flooring gone but at least it's a rental while we build. Finding a new place now bc it will be hard to live getting repairs done and no hvac system. Positive note boats fine and new house is going 16" higher now and whole house gen is a must. 51/2 days w/out power sucks ass. #f~€[florence

Paulie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
4F8563D3-1115-4B0C-86DA-7DCE2420FF0C.jpeg Also checking in from Ne Bern. We made it through the hurricane with very little damage and no flooding since we are on very high ground for the area. My brother lives next door and he thought that he had escaped the wrath of Florence as well until yesterday morning we all woke up to this.
The outer perimeter pilings became compromised and were getting looser by the minute so we decided to to this in an effort to save the rest of the dock.

Then today we woke up to this:

Paulie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
IMG_2355.JPG And then this afternoon it developed int this! Really bummed for my brother. But also thankful that I had not installed a dock and boat lift yet! Ugh!

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
View attachment 83479 And then this afternoon it developed int this! Really bummed for my brother. But also thankful that I had not installed a dock and boat lift yet! Ugh!
What a heartbreaker! Brutal current to be working over and around.

Edit: did that dock survive Mathew?

Last edited:

Paulie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Very brutal current and yes, a heartbreaker for sure. Both he and his neighbor next to him lost both docks and a boathouse roof. All were less than two years old. And they were both concrete dock panels. Strongest dock available.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very brutal current and yes, a heartbreaker for sure. Both he and his neighbor next to him lost both docks and a boathouse roof. All were less than two years old. And they were both concrete dock panels. Strongest dock available.
Man, that second video clip is just unreal!

--

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow @Paulie
I didn't realize it got that bad after i left your house yesterday. Man that really sucks.

What most dont realize is the Trent doest normally flow all it. It usually is wind driven back and forth. So in front of where those docks were, is 0 current

Last edited:

Paulie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What a heartbreaker! Brutal current to be working over and around.

Edit: did that dock survive Mathew?
I think so, but the flooding and river levels are more severe with this storm I believe.

Paulie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow @Paulie
I didn't realize it got that bad after i left your house yesterday. Man that really sucks
I know, right. Things seemed to be under control and calming down. But that river! Can't underestimate it!