• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I sold my boat to finish this basement!

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
*** I just measured the short side of my “L” and it looks like I went with 6.5”. That depth is great for a walk up bar, but if you put a stool there you end up sitting sideways or an angle because it puts the wall too close to your knees.

I think what we really need to do is set up a Jetboaters.net Basement Bar Crawl, where we drive all over the country drinking at each others homes :)
I've got an 8" overhang in my actual bar, and a 12" overhang in the kitchen island. The larger overhang is vastly more comfortable. For reference, I'm 6"1 and slim.
Good point on visiting few bars for reference. We got a wood guy coming next Friday to work up pricing on wood bar top and some barn doors for gym. Our kitchen island has 16” overhang and it’s way more than enough. I’ll probably end up somewhere between 10-12”. Just want to be able to sit at the bar comfortably with enough leg room.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
7” is in my opinion is too short, but you might find 12” to be too much.

I went back and forth on this for a while and eventually settled on 9-3/4” (in some places 10”).

What I suggest is that you go to a few bars in the early afternoon when they’re no too crowded and bring a tape measure with you.
Sit at each of them and have a beer (for research purposes only) and see what depth/length feels the best.

You might find 12” to be too much and you might find it’s perfect, that’s up to you (definitely not the GC). You should probably bring your wife along too, as she may have a slightly different idea of the perfect depth.
He also wanted to install corbels to support the granite and I wanted the hidden supports. For some reason he was against the hidden supports. I guess it’s more labor intensive. Corbels didn’t sit well with me because it would be something to get in way of leg space.

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
He probably doesn’t want to go with hidden supports because they only cost around $20 a piece, and wooden corbels can go for craaaazy money... I’m assuming he’s getting a markup on the materials. The hidden supports are very easy to install btw.

You might want to remind him who’s basement this is.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
He probably doesn’t want to go with hidden supports because they only cost around $20 a piece, and wooden corbels can go for craaaazy money... I’m assuming he’s getting a markup on the materials. The hidden supports are very easy to install btw.

You might want to remind him who’s basement this is.
I agree. The hidden supports are cheap. I priced them. Also watched videos of installation so I’ll do it myself if I have to. Anyways like I said I scratched the whole granite bar top anyways. I’m sure wood will still need some type of support on a knee wall so will be using the hidden ones if so.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Granite installed today.

4CE26DB7-99EE-4EFD-A1C0-1717B0771D25.jpeg68F17F10-7675-4BFC-8815-528883ECDC9D.jpegED66D817-B45B-46A7-9869-39FECDFE8D30.jpeg84C5D57F-CC90-441B-8DBF-6D5775EA81E7.jpegB8E507E6-E653-48FE-80C8-75519F19AAF1.jpeg

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looking good!

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
yes! OK, so do you have a kegerator under that? what is your setup?

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
yes! OK, so do you have a kegerator under that? what is your setup?
No, the wall behind and to the left of the taps is the mechanical room which is unfinished. I’m building a keezer out of a deep chest freezer to hold two kegs. From that pvc pipe will run through the wall under the counter to the beer tap with beer line inside and a fan inside the freezer will blow cold air to the tap to keep the beer lines cold. Hopefully it works

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
so next yammie boaters reunion at your place?

Renod

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Love it, it really looks great.

We made the same decision, finishing the basement before any toy purchases. Have never regretted the decision. I love our boat, but our basement is available to us 24/7/365. Super Bowl? Watching movies? Kids getting together with friends? Video games? Billiards? All in the basement!

I used granite on my bar counters, not sure of the overhang measurement, but we used some under counter supports ("corbels") to make sure there were no issues. The red arrows in this pic show the location of the corbels:

Attachments

Last edited:

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

We made the same decision, finishing the basement before any toy purchases. Have never regretted the decision. I love our boat, but our basement is available to us 24/7/365. Super Bowl? Watching movies? Kids getting together with friends? Video games? Billiards? All in the basement!

I used granite on my bar counters, not sure of the overhang measurement, but we used some under counter supports ("corbels") to make sure there were no issues. The red arrows in this pic show the location of the corbels:
Nice! I agree, can’t wait to get it fully functional. I will be spending a lot of time down there.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Slowly making progress. Still trying to figure out bar top.

4FC2E25A-CB87-4AA8-979C-11A2EEF29795.jpeg2BB64798-DCEE-4015-95C4-D736B19223DB.jpeg

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I spy a Devils hat in there! :winkingthumbsup"

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks incredible. Nicely put together

Jebinok