• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I want bigger displacement engines ! C'mon Yamaha the 1.8s are dinosaurs at this point !

Maybe I am reading this wrong but it seems you are making fun of me. Sorry, I don't even know what Venmo is.

Not at all. What I was saying, was you were asking for what you already have. HP is a number, speed is a number. And they only mean something when you can compare it to something with more or less than what you have.

So your comment on wanting more torque, makes sense, as it is something you can feel if you can get the pump to hook up with a load on it. That is a very reasonable request from an entry level boat is more out of the hole power with a load.

But asking for 250hp, when your engine should be giving you that already is opening yourself up to guys selling performance add ons that do literally nothing. As you already have 250. It makes it seem like you could ask for 300 and if someone said they gave you 300 a person might believe it, as it may not make any difference.

So no, don't take it the wrong way. Just don't dream of 250hp, as you already have it.

PS: Venmo is a just a personal payment application like Paypal etc. I was going to sell you 250hp, since I could assure you that you already had it. (ie snake oil)

Power is all relative as well.

I've only EVER owned a 4cyl boat. My '98 Rinker had a 3.0L Mercruier setup. It was wildly underpowered compared to my Yamaha. The 1.8L I have now makes ~30hp more than that Mercruiser, and absolutely JUMPS on plane in comparison. I really need to get a ride in a 192/195 to see how they compare to my 190. I bet they're even better out of the hole, and I know they're faster on the top end. So much so that I've debated on moving to a 195 so I can get some more speed/power, and keep the ability to fit in my garage.

I only notice I'm down on power in two instances. I have a full load of people and gear. Had 4 adults and 4 kids on the boat 2-3 times this year, and if there are more than 2 adults in the bow it takes longer than I want to come on plane. I also notice a lack of power when I'm in a drag race with another boat. I top out around 43mph in perfect conditions. Any amount of turning or weight, and I drop into the high 30's. Buddies 24ft tri-toon with a 150 runs 35mph all day long, like it's a tractor or something. If we race to the other end of the lake, I usually lose. I can hit 42, but I can't spend all day up there since we have to turn and adjust and I drop into the 30's. If I'm not drag racing, or trying to heavily load the boat, power is no issue. We ran from a rainstorm with 2 adults and 2 kids yesterday. 43mph all the way across the water headed back to the ramp. Glass smooth, light load, bimini stowed, it was a great high speed run. Likewise with mom and hte 10yr old on the tube, and me and the 3yr old in the cockpit, it handled that duty with aplomb.

Point being, power is all relative. I'm satisfied enough with my little 180hp 19ft boat for 90% of my time on the water. I bought brand new and had the choice of a 190 vs a 195 and chose the lower power level. I'm not disappointed with that decision even a little bit. It performs great, and serves us well. I suspect the majority of Yamaha buyers are in this market. To have "enough" power, but not "too much" power, and I'm sure Yamaha market knowledge and research confirm that base don what they offer.

FYI- If you remember when Chevy pickups were either a 305 or a 350, then you might be in my age bracket. lol

When I was in college (1982?) my Dad bought an old '72 Chevy C10. As the truck only got 10 miles per gallon, he decided to give it a tune up. Afterwards, he had so much fun with the truck he got 8 miles per gallon! :D

Jim

When I was in college (1982?) my Dad bought an old '72 Chevy C10. As the truck only got 10 miles per gallon, he decided to give it a tune up. Afterwards, he had so much fun with the truck he got 8 miles per gallon! :D

Jim
I love watching guys get tunes on vehicles expecting better mileage. In particular the 2.0T and 3.0T engines from Audi are really bad about having really large gains and owners can't keep their foot out of the gas pedal long enough to realize the better fuel economy.

Hoping to do just that with my 3.0T this winter!

Clearly I did not read all four pages top to bottom :)

Twin 250hp engines feels like enough for me. I'm already using a heck of a lot of gas. Admittedly we have a 275SE, so a big boat, but I can't imagine paying for MORE gas.

Oh wait, we have twin 454s in our Carver 42.

With a 400 gallon gas tank.

Yeah, twin 250s is just fine.

How about these engines? Good enaough for coaat guards.

View attachment 177186View attachment 177187View attachment 177188
Destin from Smarter Every Day just did a deep dive on this boat. Super cool video to watch. If it's exactly the same boat, those are twin 850hp (each) Detroit diesels, that are run through a two direction gearbox to industrial class pumps.

Destin does a great job of explaining how to slide a jetboat sideways as well if you have twin engines. Such a cool video.

well this was an interesting thread... I guess i just don't see why I have to wait for Mother Yamaha to build the boat I want... So I'm sneaking up on it in in stages... Got a cheap 2004 AR210... simple no frills... nice delta wedge shallow V hull... ran it for 5 years... Best effort GPS measured top speed 56MPH... in reality 52-54 without strippin all the cruft that accumulates in the boat out... I mentioned in another thread that yamaha transitioned from the two stroke hotrod sport boats to family cruisers and the hull designs were a large part of this as was features glass windshields and overall weight has grown dramatically...

Next was engineering a keel armor and center trim tab, fixed most all the issues with not having thrust line trim and at speed hull dynamics...

then I ripped out the smokey stinky LOUD and thirsty short lived 135 two stroke engines and fuel systems and modified the engine bay and fuel systems to house the longer MR-1 HO 160 horse engines, dropped net 200 lbs in Lead Acid batteries for new Lithiums (LiFePO4)... I should be dropping it in the water this weekend or next to break in the engines... should get some top speed runs in after memorial day... If I've done my homework properly I should get into the low 60's and maybe 65 mph with impeller tuning... as Im just gonna spin the 2 stroke impellers a bit faster... based on output shaft RPMS of the different engines, however I do have other larger shafts, impellers and pumps that should be better matched to the 160's...

Last phase will be starting to search for a pair 250 horse SVHO's and Pumps... and do one more engine/driveline swap... 320 to 500 HP should get me into low to mid 70's

:winkingthumbsup"

Last phase will be starting to search for a pair 250 horse SVHO's and Pumps... and do one more engine/driveline swap... 320 to 500 HP should get me into low to mid 70's
That's awesome...but I gotta say, make sure you're wearing good life jackets and have a rescue boat following - the thin hull isn't made for 70mph and the water is like concrete at those speeds. That's why the coast guard asks manufacturers to include 70mph limiters on jetskis so people don't die at 90+mph. Those 100+mph performance boats weigh 8-10k lbs for a reason but even those boats are pounding the waves at those speeds - people usually stand up so their legs can help ease the impact. Or if it's a cockpit, quality seating to save their spine.

I'm pretty sure my boat would hit 70 with a pair of SVHO engines. But I wouldn't trust my hull to take the beating.
:)

That's awesome...but I gotta say, make sure you're wearing good life jackets and have a rescue boat following - the thin hull isn't made for 70mph and the water is like concrete at those speeds. That's why the coast guard asks manufacturers to include 70mph limiters on jetskis so people don't die at 90+mph. Those 100+mph performance boats weigh 8-10k lbs for a reason but even those boats are pounding the waves at those speeds - people usually stand up so their legs can help ease the impact. Or if it's a cockpit, quality seating to save their spine.

I'm pretty sure my boat would hit 70 with a pair of SVHO engines. But I wouldn't trust my hull to take the beating.
:)
great advice... its not an off shore boat... and I don't use it like that... 95% of the time i'm running in way less than 4' of water inside the reef usually 18-24" of water on plane the hull likes cruising 30-45 MPH... I have reinforced the back half of the hull from the CG back (i already broke the stern in two between the jet drives with the 135's and had to rebuild it.. it was rookie engineering flaw by Yamaha...) I see why they did it however there was a much simpler and more elegant solution... im no stranger to crashing into concrete and asphalt at speeds over 130MPH (raced motorcycles flat track, 1969-1975 AMA district 4 and road raced 83-2011 AMA, FUSA, WERA, GP-PRO, Mostly FZR1000 and YZF750's but from 2000-2011 it was a hand built 500cc Yamaha V4 4cyl 2 stroke) my left elbow still doesn't work... long list of broken bones and 11 concussions.... I got all the crazy out...

Back