• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I want to go to Bimini 2017

ACrews

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No swimming in there i would guess
You may could get away with swimming in there in the middle of day, but I wouldn't advise it. All the sinks located around the marina that are for cleaning fish draw them in & they pretty well know most of the fishermen get back early evening to start cleaning & throwing scraps in the water.

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Where are you in Fairfax? We are interested in the Bimini Fling 2017 too. Live in Fairfax Station closed to Chapel Rd & 123.
I reside in Centreville near Stringfellow Rd and US50. Nice to know there are other jetboaters nearby :thumbsup:

jayasaki138

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautic Star
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I reside in Centreville near Stringfellow Rd and US50. Nice to know there are other jetboaters nearby :thumbsup:
Same here! I did couple test runs from Occoquan River to Nation Harbor and back which is about 60 miles. Boat with the new engine runs good and only used half tank gas of 50 gallons. Hopefully It won't burn too much more gas in the big ocean.[flag]

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Same here! I did couple test runs from Occoquan River to Nation Harbor and back which is about 60 miles. Boat with the new engine runs good and only used half tank gas of 50 gallons. Hopefully It won't burn too much more gas in the big ocean.[flag]
Depending on the seas, the difference in fuel burn could be dramatic.

--

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The FSH is 50 gallons? or what boat do you have?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Based on his signature picture it looks like his FSH might have turned into a large Glastron.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Dang I don't usually see a pic since I'm usually on the phone. Oops lol.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Dang I don't usually see a pic since I'm usually on the phone. Oops lol.
If you turn your phone from portrait to landscape you can see the signature, at least it works on my android phone.

jayasaki138

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautic Star
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I bought the FSH last year for the weekend house in Lake of Woods that has size maximum of 22 foot. GS 249 had been sitting in back yard for about 3 years that needs a new engine. I could not trade it or sale for reasonable price so I decided to replace it with a new block and take it to Bimini.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Fuel consumption on the ocean is greater than that on a lake. Boat test found the maximum range of my SX230 to be 168 miles based on consuming 90% of the published fuel capacity. Based on you experiment I would guess that range for your boat to be 108 miles. Both ratings are based on a 50 gallon tank (mine is actually 52 but the extra two gallons were not used in the calculations).

This suggestsyour GS 249 burns 1.55 times as much fuel per mile as my SX230. I believe that is reasonable based on the size and weight difference.

My typical fuel consumption on the way to Bimini is 30 gallons my maximum was 39. So I would expect your consumption to be between 47 gallons on a good day and 61 on a rough day. I would want to carry a couple of 12 gallon tanks or a single 24 with spare fuel.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you turn your phone from portrait to landscape you can see the signature, at least it works on my android phone.
It does but I don't normally use my phone that way. That's why I didn't notice the signature photo.

Glad you got the boat up and running @jayasaki138

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
@Bruce what would a typical fuel consumption be for a AR240 for the bimini trip ? Mine can comfortably hit 30-35 mph without straining the engines on Lake Anna

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@jayasaki138 first of all welcome to the forum. I would think that your big Glastron should be a comfortable ride for the trips across the Gulf stream. Does it have an a\c and\or a generator?

jayasaki138

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautic Star
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@PEARCE No built-in AC and generator but I do have portable Honda generator and LG heat pump. Should I bring them? I am planning to stay in the boat in Bimini if wife and the girls stay in Miami. They do not like to ride across the Gulf stream and they are thinking about fly over there. I made them watch the Youtube videos but no success.

@Bruce Thanks for fuel info. I will try to install auxiliary gas tank in the boat.

robert cabrerea

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would love to go. Thank you Bruce for the words of wisdom. A bad Thunder storm in the atlantic is not fun. You can plan a pretty picnic but you cant predict the weather.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@jayasaki138 I would certainly bring both if you're planning to sleep on the boat. I've heard that there are bitting bugs at night called "no see ems". You'll probably want to keep the boat closed up at night instead of relying on the sea breeze to be comfortable. If we lived on the coast and our Sea Ray cruiser had diesels we wouldn't hesitate going and staying on the boat. It has a built-in generator and 3 a\c units. It stays quite comfortable in the cabin when everything is running.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you are planning to stay in a slip I would use shore power for the AC rather than bother with a generator, the noise it makes and the fuel.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree with you @Bruce , but I don't know what kind of reliable power is available on the dock and what @jayasaki138 's power requirements are. If you're unsure about what's there then don't plug in. You learn that rule real quick with Rv's and boats.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree with you @Bruce , but I don't know what kind of reliable power is available on the dock and what @jayasaki138 's power requirements are. If you're unsure about what's there then don't plug in. You learn that rule real quick with Rv's and boats.
Most marinas and certainly Bimini Sands have a 30 amp 120 circuit and and 50 amp 240 circuit available.

I only remember seeing 50 amp circuits at Bahia Mar.

These do not use RV connectors. I have details on the 30 amp connector in the Preparing for Bimini thread. I have never researched the 50 amp circuit.