• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Impeler Shaft Play / Intermediate Bering Condition Verification

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looked up a new impeller here for 2006 AR230 here:

Impeller numbers matches up with what is stamped on my impellers and show 16.3 and 17.3 pitch.

This would suggest I have the right impellers....So is the service manual wrong or what am I missing??
Very confusing??

View attachment 117418
again, I'm sorry for adding confusion not knowing exactly your boat/engine situation,

if you look at the Yamahasportsportsplaza page you have two different AR230 models to choose from,
an HO engine model and a "not" HO engine,

I pulled the HO engine for my post above I guess thinking all AR's in 2006 were HO engines,

If you choose the Non-HO engine model schematic your current impellers are the correct parts,

What engines are in your boat ?

Konnie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
again, I'm sorry for adding confusion not knowing exactly your boat/engine situation,

if you look at the Yamahasportsportsplaza page you have two different AR230 models to choose from,
an HO engine model and a "not" HO engine,

I pulled the HO engine for my post above I guess thinking all AR's in 2006 were HO engines,

If you choose the Non-HO engine model schematic your current impellers are the correct parts,

What engines are in your boat ?
I got the non-HO engine. So I should have the correct impellers per Yamahasportsportsplaza .But port and start board sides were swapped during install.
However, my service manual is for non-HO but reference the HO impellers.
Anyhow. I appreciate your help and I’ll keep the impellers I have but re-install them on the correct side.
Best!!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Konnie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just a progress update:
Received the new jet pump housings.
Installed them.
Used gasket maker per instructions.
Could not find Locktite 567 so used Permatex light instead. Little surprised of the low viscosity when I applied it.
Torqued the mounting bolts to ~30 Ft/Ibs.
Some trouble transferring the dowel pins from old to new housings. Ended up heating up the old housings with blow torch around the area of the pins, and that helped.

Also received the bearings, seals and impeller shaft holder tool for the pumps.
Realized I ordered the wrong shaft holder tool. Ordered WRO14H when I need WR07H.
Correct tool ordered and on its way.

E8BCA4AB-0AD7-41D6-A2E4-9BAFA6A56B40.jpeg

Konnie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So ran both engines mostly because I was intrested in hearing the sound of the engines with out pumps.
Surprised how quite they were...
Water was pouring out from the water intake holes in the housing units as expected.
When I plugged each water intake hole with my thumb a small jet stream of water appeared between the housing unit and the plate that is mounted to the transom.
Exactly or close to exactly the same place on both sides, about 9 o’clock.
Re-torqued to the bolts to ~32 ft#, no difference.
Removed both housing units. Suspected that the holes for the dowel pins were too shallow in the new housing units leading to small gap between housing units and transom plates.
Re-installed housing units without dowels pins and good amount of gasket maker. Torqued per spec.
Still small jet stream on both sides and same locations. Can’t find obvious visual grove for the jets to appear.
The jets only appear when plug the water intake holes with my thumb.
Any thoughts on this?
72672D81-DA0E-456D-9325-AF943A48898F.jpeg

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have never seen nor heard of that. I suspect you have an issue. Please post a video and we will try to provide more help.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
hmmmm ??

I think your the first member we've had to ever put their finger over the cooling water inlet while flushing on the hose ????

very strange it's on both sides,

first thought was don't worry about it, it's all at the water line, then got to thinking,
it's actually opposite while running and I wonder if your loosing cooling water being shot out that hole since it's under pressure,

maybe stick your phone up in there to get a picture (while the water is off to see if it's just missing sealant or something obvious)

Konnie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have never seen nor heard of that. I suspect you have an issue. Please post a video and we will try to provide more help.
hmmmm ??

I think your the first member we've had to ever put their finger over the cooling water inlet while flushing on the hose ????

very strange it's on both sides,

first thought was don't worry about it, it's all at the water line, then got to thinking,
it's actually opposite while running and I wonder if your loosing cooling water being shot out that hole since it's under pressure,

maybe stick your phone up in there to get a picture (while the water is off to see if it's just missing sealant or something obvious)

Not the first time I’m the first to do something goofy...
Agree that during normal operation there will be negative pressure on one side and positive pressure on the other side, so share your concern that the amount of cooling may be reduced.
Taken multiple pictures And videos with phone but can’t find anything suspicious. Will look closer again.
Will upload video when I have figured out how to upload to this site.

pcriley

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So ran both engines mostly because I was intrested in hearing the sound of the engines with out pumps.
Surprised how quite they were...
Water was pouring out from the water intake holes in the housing units as expected.
When I plugged each water intake hole with my thumb a small jet stream of water appeared between the housing unit and the plate that is mounted to the transom.
Exactly or close to exactly the same place on both sides, about 9 o’clock.
Re-torqued to the bolts to ~32 ft#, no difference.
Removed both housing units. Suspected that the holes for the dowel pins were too shallow in the new housing units leading to small gap between housing units and transom plates.
Re-installed housing units without dowels pins and good amount of gasket maker. Torqued per spec.
Still small jet stream on both sides and same locations. Can’t find obvious visual grove for the jets to appear.
The jets only appear when plug the water intake holes with my thumb.
Any thoughts on this?
View attachment 118089
Maybe i'm missing something but the hose line ties into the cooling supply without a check valve. When you run on the hose I think i would expect for there to be some backflow from the cooling intake on the jet pump.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe i'm missing something but the hose line ties into the cooling supply without a check valve. When you run on the hose I think i would expect for there to be some backflow from the cooling intake on the jet pump.
We've not heard of an exit port being in the jet pump area before, he has his finger over the cooling water inlet (that would normally come from the intake screen but has been removed), we normally think the water shouldn't have an "exit" point until it travels through the engine.

If you run the engine on the hose without the inlet being covered, either the screen in normal circumstance or with it removed the hole his finger is covering we would expect to see water back flowing through them.

I might have to pull an impeller this evening and try this at the house (but I have an '07)

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, but it being the same spot on both jets almost sounds like it was designed that way. Being on the intake side, that would mean the cooling is sucking from the screen and from a little gap in the jet farther in. Odd, strange... Yeah. But I don't think it would affect the operation or decrease cooling.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow... I still have no clue.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Scratching my head too.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Can you pull the tunnel off and get us pictures of where the water is coming from?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So since its mother's day my wife is taking a nap, since it only takes 10 minutes to pull the impeller, really in 20 minutes i went from uncovering to videoing,

My 2007 does not have that stream, try to get a picture but i would guess you've got a bad seal

This is the joint where yours is leaking from

20200510_131427.jpg

Konnie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So since its mother's day my wife is taking a nap, since it only takes 10 minutes to pull the impeller, really in 20 minutes i went from uncovering to videoing,

My 2007 does not have that stream, try to get a picture but i would guess you've got a bad seal

This is the joint where yours is leaking from

View attachment 118440

Really appreciate you taking the time to test this on your boat and sharing.
I will look into closer tomorrow at my boat.
And yes, the picture you shared is the area where the seals leak. Regards,

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Really strange both jets are acting like that. I wonder if it was an intentional modification?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Really strange both jets are acting like that. I wonder if it was an intentional modification?
LOL the "add one more gallon of water per minute to the jet pump" mod? That's really weird...

Konnie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So last time I ran the engines and had leaks as described above I had no dowel pins installed as I suspected that the holes in the new housings were too shallow for the dowel pins.
Removed the new housings today and compared the depth of the holes for the dowel pins in the new housings to the holes for the dowels in the old housings. The holes for the dowels in the new housings are about 3 mm shallower. Ground down the dowel pins 3 mm or more.
Reinstalled the housings. Ran the engines and no leaks!!
I can see how too long dowel pins can cause a leak but not how no dowel pins will cause the leak.
Possibly the hose preasure was higher than usual and or compared to the pressure created by the impellers as there were leaks at the same location on both side and one common attribute for both sides is the pressure in the hose.
Thoughts on this?

Also, the correct spline tool arrived.
Removed the impellers per @Scottintexas setup.
All worked well!!
Will take the units to a shop and have the bearings and seals pressed out this week.
1CA922F9-CD82-4FDE-9B63-C1A7210F84A9.jpeg