• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Impeller and drive shaft. front seals between impeller & duct. REPLACEMENT EXPLAINED

ehostin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is a great post.

I just went through rebuilding a new impeller/ driveshaft assembly after replacing the impeller housing. Everything seemed fine and dandy until I tried re-inserting the driveshaft spindle end back into the coupler (I think that's what it's called.)

It won't go back in. Any tricks here? Is this a blind insertion? Seems like it would go in as easily as it came out (once the duct was loosened from the housing). I've tried spinning the impeller a bit to get things lined up but nothing...

I would appreciate any assistance.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This is a great post.

I just went through rebuilding a new impeller/ driveshaft assembly after replacing the impeller housing. Everything seemed fine and dandy until I tried re-inserting the driveshaft spindle end back into the coupler (I think that's what it's called.)

It won't go back in. Any tricks here? Is this a blind insertion? Seems like it would go in as easily as it came out (once the duct was loosened from the housing). I've tried spinning the impeller a bit to get things lined up but nothing...

Stumbled on this thread looking for something else. Great info on the seals - that is accurate. The flat metal portions on BOTH seals face aft. I think what you're actually seeing in that diagram in the manual is if you were looking at the seals from the side, but could see halfway through them :)

The driveshaft should just slide right back into the coupler. Sometimes you have to rotate the impeller slightly to get the splines lined up but it shouldn't take any sort of force to get back in.

Paulie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is a great post.

I encountered the exact same problem the last time that I had my pumps out. The one side slid in like butter and the other side took what seemed like forever to get back in. Just keep working it. Make sure there are no visible dings on the splines and not too much grease, just a light film. Rotate the shaft a little and keep trying. Most importantly, DON’T FORCE IT!