• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Important Summary of Anchor Locker Drain Issue - Attention FSH and 21 Foot owners!

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@micj, you should give your dealership's service department a shout-out on the forum, because it seems like they repaired it properly, in my opinion. Others who want Yamaha to repair their problem properly can use your dealership as the precedent. Thanks for sharing.

micj

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I will gladly give a shout out to my dealer. M2O Marine outfitters in San Diego. They are a true marine dealer and not a motorcycle/watercraft dealer that happens to sell boats. Ian Morton was the salesman who let me test drive a boat and delivered my boat to me a local reservoir and cruised the water for two hours making sure I was comfortable before leaving and Brett Stadler is the service manager who took care of the issue I had.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@micj, if you have a Yamaha claim number available to share for reference, it would probably really help out those who are seeking to have their drain repaired properly by Yamaha. It should make things easier for Yamaha, the dealerships, and the owners.
Thanks

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I just checked my boat and there was a small gap around the hull penetrator. I used 5200 and filled the gaps. ( See pics)Anchor 3.JPG Anchor 2.JPG

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
[deleted for clarity - see @MrMoose's schematic below]

--

Attachments

Last edited:

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On a more positive note, @swatski, great idea to use a pic to demonstrate your perspective. I just thought that the three actual pics at the top of this thread were pretty self explanatory. I guess that I'm a crappy engineer and teacher. :confused:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, you've missed the point. Seriously. Look at the pics. It's not the spacing between the outer hull and inner shell that is changing significantly, one has hard filler between the two surfaces, the other has none!!!!!!!!!! ^#$%^#$@%^%ck!!!!!!!! The factory fucked up and omitted the solid/structural fill on some boats, and in my opinion, that's a problem that Yamaha should fix.
So far one dealership has appropriately diagnosed and corrected the problem. Use that as precedent if you see that you have a problem once you pop out your drain fitting to inspect that space.
@micj's dealer recognizes that you need something solid in the space between the outer hull and inner shell, so they filled it with fiberglass before reinstalling the drain fitting.
OMFG, you guys are killing me!
[EDITED for clarity]
The Yamaha hull is not really double. The pre-2015 hull has a single shell/fiberglass sheath forming the bow with an anchor stored in a "bucket", the 2015+ has a liner/inner shell forming the anchor locker. In the pre-2015 240 the anchor locker had only partial lining, so an anchor getting loose could punch a hole in the hull (in the bow), which has actually happened. The 2015+ boats have a full-er lining, but it is still a lining. At some points that lining (or inner shell) touches the outer shell/hull, and at some other points it does not.

In other words, Yamaha improved on the pre-2015 design that made the hull shell in the bow vulnerable to be damaged by a loose anchor. As @MrMoose first indicated, they should have made the drain waterproof from both sides - outside the hull and inside the anchor locker.

In @MrMoose's picture of the singular material in the opening is the hull and the lining pressed together, as in the schematic below. It appears that in (most) new 210s the drain penetrates the bow where the outer shell (hull) and inner liner (inner shell) are apart.

--

Last edited:

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just looked at the void pic again. I thought that the white rim on the far side of the pic was the outer hull, and to me it looks really thin...........BBBBBBBBBBBBBBUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTT, it's actually the inside edge of the drain fitting!!!!!!!!
Wow! @swatski and @Julian I think that you guys are right.
Hanging head in shame.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm going to edit my original post to reflect that the fitting is not removed in the "void" pic, as I originally thought.

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So let me see if I get this right the void is not really the void in the first picture it's really the plug and not the void and in the in the second picture the void is really not the void and it's really the plug is that right:):):):(:jimlad::yuck::winkingthumbsup"

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last edited:

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@MrMoose this is beautiful. I edited my posts above to better fit with your schematic - great resource!
Maybe you would be wiling to also move your tube insert trick here, or link to it.
Thank you. Very useful schematic.

--
I cleaned up the old fitting and used a piece of tubing to help keep the 3M5200 from plugging up the drain hole. I'll yank the tubing out tomorrow morning once the 5200 has firmed up.

Here's a pic just before applying the 5200:

Here's a pic from the inside after I gooped a bunch of 5200 around the fitting:

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I just called www.cyclespringsonline.com a great dealer in Clearwater and spoke to a tech and he said there have been some issues with the smaller boats but none with the 242's. He said putting 5200 on it to stop water intrusion is adequate for the 242's.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length