• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Infinite Baffle Subs Question

Backwash

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There's a hole with a grille in it for a 12 inch sub under rear drivers side seat. I'm guessing the original blew. Now it's just a grille open underneath the seat. Would an infinite baffle speaker be required as a replacement since that wouldn't be considered a closed or ported box?

JWPrendergast

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Im thinking it needs to be an infinite baffle, unless you add a box behind it.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Yes, without a compact enclosure, and using the expansive space in the bench seat console as the enclosure, you will need an infinite baffle (IB) subwoofer. It still needs to have an enclosure in terms of a rigid baffle and complete front to rear acoustic isolation but an IB woofer requires a VERY large to infinite enclosure.
Double check the size to be absolutely certain it's a 12".
There are very few true 12" infinite baffle subwoofers, that have a high Qts and are essentially self-damped. JL Audio is coming with one much later this year. Rockford Fosgate claims to have one but it's really a low 'Q' jack of all trades and a master of none. But it's not going to be a major issue with a sub as large as a 12" until you reach or exceed it's max power rating.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Unless you buy the same driver that was in there, you will have to use a bezel, or repair the hole mount the new driver. Or...you can add a enclosed sub and just leave the opening as a vent for it. Lots of ways to go about it.

Backwash

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's what I have now. A box with a sub facing the hole. I'm wanting to move that box to other side so I can have my ballast in that hole. Besides, the bass isn't clear enough. Maybe the rarity of the 12 inch sub is why former owner did not replace.....

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
That's what I have now. A box with a sub facing the hole. I'm wanting to move that box to other side so I can have my ballast in that hole. Besides, the bass isn't clear enough. Maybe the rarity of the 12 inch sub is why former owner did not replace.....
Just so I have the correct image, let me ask....
Is the subwoofer opening in an interior/concealed wall under the bench seat or in an exterior/exposed wall under the bench seat?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Willing to bet money why the sub isn't there now...he blew it out trying to hear it outside the boat! The sub in the boat doesn't support outside music!