• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Initial thoughts from a new Tango 2x4 owner

pmorita

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
Just took my third family outing on our new Tango and wanted to give my initial impressions and share some learnings. Please reply with feedback so I can keep improving. This is my first boat and I'm looking to get comfortable with this project.
1 - This forum is fantastic. I'm glad so many people have posted before me and provided so much info. Special thanks on the links to check the jet drive and change the oil.
2 - Everything is easy to get to on this boat. It needed some love but I didn't have to contort myself or cut new inspection ports to get to anything.
3 - The interior needs love. I have yet to see a Sugar Sand that didn't need a new interior. I opted to buy a Sailrite sewing machine and create a new interior, but it would have been nice if there was a source for replacement seat covers like I see for the Sea Doos. Had to create a new front cushion also, which looks great in green/brown houndstooth.
4 - My fear of not finding parts for the motor have been unfounded. Looks like boats.net has it all.
5 - Things I changed/added to make life easier.
- Wakeboard tower. With the speakers where they are, easy to get to the parts of the hull I needed to bolt this thing in.
- New radio. Again, easy to get to everything, but it made the factory speakers sound pretty weak.
- Safety equipment. So much room in the engine compartment that I could mount everything with no worries.
- Engine cooling hose moved from the engine to the transom. My hose leaked on our first outing, shooting water all over the engine and causing some cylinders not to fire so we were stranded. Didn't realize it was happening until I opened the engine hatch with the engine running. I moved the hose off of the top of the engine to so that if it happens again, the water will go in the bilge and not leave us stranded again.
6 - Having such a light boat on a single axle trailer is great. Easy to put in and out of the water. Easy to tow. Less maintenance.
7 - Though this was going to be loud, but no worse than other 4 strokes I have heard.
8 - Family loves it. Thought I would have to sell the concept of a jet boat a bit harder, but they saw the benefits of no prop and going that fast on the first outing.

Thanks all for a great forum.

Chuck Buck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Hi Pierre. Great post and feedback! I wish more readers did this.

1 – “I'm glad so many people have posted before me and provided so much info” - you get it. A simple search of this forum can yield a ton of info without clogging up the board with a lot of repeat questions.

2 – “I didn’t have to contort myself” HAHAHA! A Tango must be nothing like a Mirage…

3 – I think you could make a fortune sewing new cushion covers for Sugar Sand owners. Sadly, the vinyl is pretty delicate compared to my previous boats.

4 – As Samantha Stevens would coyly say in ascending pitch (Elizabeth Montgomery in Bewitched), “wellllll….” There’s a lot of parts listed, but many of the “hard parts” are unavailable, and for some of those listed as available, I have serious doubts about their actual availability.

5 – Good info, but I’m curious about “mounting everything [safety equipment] in the engine compartment.” Some things are better left outside the engine compartment, one being handheld fire extinguishers. I have two (one extra that’s not legally required for reasons) and they mount beside the front seats. I wouldn’t want to reach into an engine compartment to get them in the event of a “thermal event.” Ditto flares, PFD’s, etc. AFA the engine cooling hose, other owners might benefit from pix of your mod.

6 – Totally agree. A dream to tow and launch/recover. And a shallow draft means I can take it to smaller inland lakes.

7 – No louder than 4-stroke jet boats or boats in general? I have much more noise/vibration than either of my I/O’s, but it’s not prohibitive.

8 – Yup! Had the grandkids swimming a few weeks ago in the shallows near Strawberry Island. Didn’t have to worry about them banging a toe on the prop or outdrive, nor worry about the drive hitting the bottom. Also, I took a young couple out last weekend and was cruising comfortably at 25, then we got into some flat water and I put the hammer down. Both their eyes got big at the sudden acceleration :jawdrop:

You’re welcome and keep it coming!

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We love to see photos!! :)

Stomp10

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Handsome boat!
The houndstooth looks great, understated and elegant!
I'll admit I lol'ed about your contortions comment.
I just a few minutes ago finished a reply to a post where I mentioned this very thing...
I can't wait to run mine.....