• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Inspire me to upgrade

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
My 2013 212 has been a stellar craft doing pretty much all I have asked of it. Only 260 hours and today I was wondering if I just stay with it or upgrade to a newer 212. What am I missing out on??

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
You would be cooler with a new boat 👍

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Maybe missing out on excess dealer fees (Covid pricing) of a new boat?

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I say keep yours. You’d be missing out on new boats that are plagued with problems and so many parts are on backorder. I feel so lucky our 2018 242X is working correctly (knock on wood) based on all the horror stories I hear of new boats coming out. If it’s working good hang on to it until they start pumping out high quality products again without problems straight from the factory. Just my thoughts. Best of luck either way!

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Our 2010 AR240 is still awesome. People frequently still ask of it is new. We have about 400 hours on it. And basically use it every other weekend 5 months out of the year in the Chicago area.
Our family sees no need to upgrade.
Only reason I could see to upgrade would be to go to a larger boat.

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I would at least wait till August when the new Yamaha's come out, there is a rumor of a new 22 ft. Going from a 21ft to a new 21ft would be nice but to a 22ft would be even nicer.
I have a 2020 212S just hit 200hrs not one issue, fingers crossed.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Yeah I would wait for the re-design of the 21. You then will upgrading 2 generations.

Zizzou 192

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Don’t mess with success.

EJG5150

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Our 2010 AR240 is still awesome. People frequently still ask of it is new. We have about 400 hours on it. And basically use it every other weekend 5 months out of the year in the Chicago area.
Our family sees no need to upgrade.
Only reason I could see to upgrade would be to go to a larger boat.
That’s exactly what we just did this winter , went bigger . Also from a Tige to a jet boat, couldn’t be happier . I’m also in the Chicago south suburbs.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I have avoided the 24s as they dont really offer any more cabin/ass in seat space. Most of the additional area is in the bow and the swim platform. I do worry about screens and things like that failing as my somewhat analogue boat has limits to failure. Now a 22 with more cabin space would have my attention.
Sup adrianp[flag]

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I will say the 25s ride significantly better in chop than the 21s…. More food for thought

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I just dont need a boat that big for my little river. Some times theres just 2 of us and Im on the trailer launching on some less than desirable ramps and very poor docks. Towing and launching a 21 is much easier.
Talk about parallel lives. The 192 is just enough for the wife and I which had been that way almost 100% of the time we use the boat. It’s amazing how with just one more passenger you feel a bit crowded. I think the 24’s-25’s are spacious for 2 but allow for other passengers without getting too crowded too quickly.
quality wise, I think we got boats at or near Yamaha’s peak just not technology which I believe Yamahas has an equal footing in the boating industry today.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
When I went in to buy I was there for a 190. Coming from an 18 4winns it had better use of space. I brought my wife, son and his friend and when we got in the 190 I saw we were going to run out of space as sons other friends came, so it was onto the 212. Got in that and was like Wow now this is a boat lol. In my 212, 6 adults with gear can start to get tight. Thats why I was looking at the 24s for a bit but when I was in it I saw no difference in knee to knee space. That and just the amount of sheer size of the boat like freeboard make it a beast compared to the 212.

Zuppy51

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I went from a 23 to a 25, honestly I wish I still had my 23, or would have had a 22 option. I don’t need the extra space, and It’s a big boat to trailer, launch, and move around.

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just started my 08 AR230 last weekend (sadly). The wife and I have a newborn so we’ve yet to get on the boat. Beyond that point, I’m a creature of habit when it comes to something reliable… The 230 has been in a slumber since late September 21.. And it started right up no issues. It’s hard moving on to a different boat when it’s been reliable,. Eventually I do want the 21 or newer 250 series just for the hull design.. But I’d say if it’s going to be too big for the places you go to you might as well keep ole reliable.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You can probably add a lot of whatever you are missing for less money than a new boat, while keeping the known entity vs the risky shake down of a new boat. Being a 212SS it is unique and special enough already for its size in the lineup. I can only see changing to get something bigger (at least 25’) or different (center console?).

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
252 all day long, i launch it solo and retrieve it solo, big boat nah, just perfect fornme and what we do. I only carry 8 life jackets, so thats my limit on friend. Most time just me the wife and my dog or another couple i had 230 242 and the 252, would never go smaller. Most people wont upgrade for different reason wife wint let em, can afford or just plain and simple dont need it, most wife wont let em,lol. Do what works for you not others, and enjoy it.

dji_export_1653236980871.jpg