• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Intermediate Bearing greasing

Hellacool

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How long are your guys arms? That zerk is down there. my 212 has a hose mounted to the top of the eng attached to the zerk. I add a few pumps every oil change, only two so far but the 100hr service is 20 hrs away. I had a Ar190 before did the same but now y'all got me nervous.
I am starting to think this is way overblown. I have not touched mine in 6 years with no issue. I have to think if this was so detrimental Yamaha would suggest a dealer do it. I suspect people are using the old rule of pump until you see grease and see killing seals. I plan to put a few pumps in and calling a day.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
Here's my motto. Pump a few squeezes in everytime you change your oil and go on about your life.
I do the same with the wheel bearings. Every few trips I add couple of pumps of Marine lube.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think the most important thing on this, knowing that too much grease can pop the seals... is to allow over-pressure to be released. After you pump, press the grease fitting "check ball" and allow any excess grease to exit, if it was over pressurized.

Stubok

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I think the most important thing on this, knowing that too much grease can pop the seals... is to allow over-pressure to be released. After you pump, press the grease fitting "check ball" and allow any excess grease to exit, if it was over pressurized.
my gun looks like it deploys about 1cc per pump, so I put 35 pumps of grease in each bearing housing. Which should get me somewhere between the 33cc and 35cc my service manual says for the first grease. I pushed the check ball on the nipple afterwards and nothing came back so hopefully all good.

how could you even tell if you have over filled it? I couldn’t see any grease squeezing out of the outer seals on either side of the bearing housing.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
just ad gear lube instead bearings will last forever with no issues I did several posts about it so do a search

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The hose also can take some pressure before the seal pops. You can feel the hose swealling.

Best to under fill for sure

Stubok

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The hose also can take some pressure before the seal pops. You can feel the hose swealling.

Best to under fill for sure
Which hose? My nipple doesn’t have any nose.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Which hose? My nipple doesn’t have any nose.
There are different styles. Some have a hose, some don’t. You would be able to tell if you overfilled because it would be coming out the sides. Looks like you’re good to go. I would recommend checking out what @Cobra Jet Steering LLC is saying about gear lube. That approach eliminates any concerns about breaking the seals.

Stubok

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
There are different styles. Some have a hose, some don’t. You would be able to tell if you overfilled because it would be coming out the sides. Looks like you’re good to go. I would recommend checking out what @Cobra Jet Steering LLC is saying about gear lube. That approach eliminates any concerns about breaking the seals.
Thanks! I started reading some threads on the gear lube approach.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Well it has definitely been my choice I do it day one before the new stuff ever hits the water