• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Intermediate bearing housing

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is this a leak? I didn’t notice any problems last season and never had water in the engine compartment. Changing oil today and looked around and found this on both engines.

Attachments

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like it might have been over greased? Did you add grease via the grease nipple?

The bearings are hermetically sealed and require no additional grease... ever. The grease in the housing only helps provides a water barrier inside the seals. If you are not seeing any water in the engine compartment, I would just wipe up the excess with a rag and then just run it.

-Greg

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, looks like over greasing of the bearing housing surround. I usually give mine one or two pumps per year and that's it. No excess when I've done it.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is this a leak? I didn’t notice any problems last season and never had water in the engine compartment. Changing oil today and looked around and found this on both engines.
This has happened in many boats, without any ill effects. In theory, could indicate a blown seal in the bearing housing (not the bearing seal itself) but the only role for that grease there is to keep water away - so if there are no leaks there is nothing to worry about.

--

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I actually had a small amount drip out from factory even before I did my 10 hour, wiped it up and never saw anymore. Yours looks quite a bit worse, most likely from over fill but as others are saying, as long as there isn't any water, wipe it up and drive on.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
May! LOL. Considering this was about leakage I suppose we were a little late to the game. :)

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It is best to leave those alone completely, if you over grease that you risk separating the rubber from the aluminum housing and then you will have a real issue, I have over 650 hours on mine and since I do not grease them I have yet to have an issue with them. You can remove the grease fitting and insert a piece of line trimmer string to take a sample of the grease and see if it is ok or has water, if it looks ok put the fitting back and don't mess with it.

Sebatussie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
While on the sandbar, I realized there is s very small leak coming in by that same bearing. Do you guys know if that is hard fix? 2012 SX 240 , the leak is very little, (1 drop at a time).

Thank you !

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Once it leaks you need to replace it a s a p ,water is entering in your bearing , do both bearings at the same time . If one goes the other is going.

Sebatussie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Once it leaks you need to replace it a s a p ,water is entering in your bearing , do both bearings at the same time . If one goes the other is going.
Thank you for your response. Is this something easy to replace ? Or maybe tyhe question should be if this is something anyone can do or I bneed to take it to the dealer?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Dealer or a mechanic that knows what he is doing .

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
That sounds like a very good idea. I have done several and it's a lot of work.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
How much gear oil do you mix with the grease?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
In the pumps I ad about 3 or 4 in the bearing housing only 1 or 2 if it fits usually it does.