• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

IS ANYONE NOT HAVING WATER/LEAK ISSUES?

DiverScott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Believe it or not.... I set time aside today to address the anchor drain issue and the MASSIVE livewell leak(s). First off the anchor......to my surprise the grommet was actually placed correctly and long enough to pass all the way through. Tested it and no issues.

Siliconed the hell out of the live-well and gonna see how it does tomorrow
Shelby,

Where did you find the leak at in the livewell? Mine had a silicone o-ring laying in the bottom of it, when I got it and the service guys said it was just some trash that got left in there... Would be nice to know if that's what is leaking.

3thrty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I am beyond frustrated with the leaks. I started with the anchor locker. But I found the biggest source of leaks is the run off drains from the inside of the boat. If you pull the jump seats while in the water you will find the two way valve operates correctly. HOWEVER - the two way valve assembly is not sealed at all. Water comes in every time a wave hits the boat and overtakes the outside drainage. Since sealing this, the locker and the two drain plugs in the changing area I have been dry as a bone, even in rough water.

Shelby Lowery

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Shelby,

Where did you find the leak at in the livewell? Mine had a silicone o-ring laying in the bottom of it, when I got it and the service guys said it was just some trash that got left in there... Would be nice to know if that's what is leaking.
Pull your 5gal storage on the rear deck and you will easy access to all of the livewells intake, and drain hoses. It was where they connected I found massive leaks.

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I just sold a small 18 bay boat and had the same issue. Water seemed to find its way through all the deck latches, cup holders and so on. Finally gave up. However the Yamaha looks like I can solve most of the problems. Not the end of the world for me. Love the layout and use of storage space.

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Well I certainly have the same water leaking issues. Will need to sit down and track them down one by one. I did find it odd that the storage area in front of the batteries does not appear to have a drain anywhere? Unless its someplace in the battery compartment. Seems there should be some type of drain to allow water to drain down to the bilge area??

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
One of the many holes you are going to have to drill.
I drilled port and starboard sides as neither of them drained down to the bilge. I just went sideways into the engine bay but I guess you could carefully go straight down or maybe out the back.

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I would prefer straight down but I guess I need to see where the low spots are and where the water would drain best.

DiverScott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Another weak spot for water is over the lips of the forward deck compartments. This seems to be where one of my water leaks is, as my life jackets get wet after a downpour or boat wash. It seems like the seals on the lower part of the compartment lid are not actually sealing out the water. If the sill fills up with water, due to the way the boat sits on the trailer, it will overflow into the compartment. It also gets pushed in by the pressure of my wash hose. I am thinking about installing tubular foam or foam/silicone weather seals in the area, instead of the ribbed factory seals. Closing the compartments would most likely require compression of the seal, but should lock out pooled water.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Once you close the hatch, and turn the handle to close it, theoretically, the seal should keep out the water. That is, unless you open it while there is still standing water there and it sloshes into the compartment. What I have found is that the tolerances are pretty lame coming out of the factory so if you push down on the lid after you close it, you'll hear and see the lid doesn't really close to its highest tolerance, locking out the water.
Before you try another type of sealant, have someone spray down the deck while you sit in the changing room. There's a little opening just above and on the port side of the boat where the trolling batteries would normally go. Water that goes into the storage compartment is meant to drain down that route and into the changing room where the drain at the bottom can take it to the bilge. If you see water coming down, then it's obviously not closed well. Then you can go ahead and adjust the latches from inside, get a tight closure, and try spraying it down again. It's a weird design. They should have had the water bypass the changing room completely and go aft to the drains by the console. IMG_2198.jpg

DiverScott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Once you close the hatch, and turn the handle to close it, theoretically, the seal should keep out the water. That is, unless you open it while there is still standing water there and it sloshes into the compartment. What I have found is that the tolerances are pretty lame coming out of the factory so if you push down on the lid after you close it, you'll hear and see the lid doesn't really close to its highest tolerance, locking out the water.
Before you try another type of sealant, have someone spray down the deck while you sit in the changing room. There's a little opening just above and on the port side of the boat where the trolling batteries would normally go. Water that goes into the storage compartment is meant to drain down that route and into the changing room where the drain at the bottom can take it to the bilge. If you see water coming down, then it's obviously not closed well. Then you can go ahead and adjust the latches from inside, get a tight closure, and try spraying it down again. It's a weird design. They should have had the water bypass the changing room completely and go aft to the drains by the console. View attachment 67553
Thanks. I'll see if I can adjust the latches, first. I had thought to do that, earlier, but had forgotten about it, until I read your post. If that doesn"t work, I will resort to the new seals.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Thanks. I'll see if I can adjust the latches, first. I had thought to do that, earlier, but had forgotten about it, until I read your post. If that doesn"t work, I will resort to the new seals.
I hope it works. I'm always finding things on this boat I didn't know were there. Like the drain from the storage area into the changing room. At first it was the anchor drain, then the drain plugs, and now the scupper that drains into the room. Three different ways (that I know of) to get water in there. Enough for you :hungover:? Certainly for me! After fixing all three I finally have a dry room.

DiverScott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I hope it works. I'm always finding things on this boat I didn't know were there. Like the drain from the storage area into the changing room. At first it was the anchor drain, then the drain plugs, and now the scupper that drains into the room. Three different ways (that I know of) to get water in there. Enough for you :hungover:? Certainly for me! After fixing all three I finally have a dry room.
The forward cooler drain fitting can also leak.. Mine did, before I sealed around it, a few months back.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
The forward cooler drain fitting can also leak.. Mine did, before I sealed around it, a few months back.
Ha! Good memory. You're right. I forgot that one. I must have put four ounces of silicone in there too. It was seated at about a 20 degree angle. Flush fitting? Not in the factory vocabulary.

DiverScott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
My new solution for dry storage in the “head” is going to be:

Plastic tote with latching lid on the floor... Closet hanger rod across the top of the compartment with velcro loops to hang life vests and wet suits from.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
My new solution for dry storage in the “head” is going to be:

Plastic tote with latching lid on the floor... Closet hanger rod across the top of the compartment with velcro loops to hang life vests and wet suits from.
:winkingthumbsup" Or just keep it out of the water!

DiverScott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
And one last - often forgotten pooint of entry for water: The rod end holes for the horizontal fishing rod storage racks in the forward bulkhead

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
‘Out on the Reef’ has a great solution to add a teak platform to the floor, as well:

I had considered that when I saw his post. But since taking care of those four issues I've had a dry room. I was impressed by the work though. Keeping my fingers crossed water doesn't find a new way in I don't know about. Since I don't really go out in the rain, I think I'll be okay... For now ;)