• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Is this gap on my front trailer wheel normal?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm sorry but I don't have any pics of when I did it other than what I posted. If yours is like mine you'll see it's pretty self explanatory once you unbolt winch assembly to gain access to the nuts for the wheel jack. Just don't let that winch assembly fall on you as that thing is top heavy with the winch and such installed!
Thank you, makes sense.

I'm considering this jack
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YWLBHLE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATUK980DIED5S&psc=1
Very expensive. However, my OEM is so flimsy I'm concerned with the coupler at some point swinging into the back of the truck when uncoupling.

--

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Honestly I would not even consider spending that kind of money on a trailer jack... if it was not @gmtech16450yz recommendation. And the fact I almost rammed that coupler into the back of my truck a couple of times already...
Thanks, @gmtech16450yz. I guess. LOL

--

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Here's a pic I just took. Doesn't really show you much other than you can begin the see the recessed area where the nuts would be on the backside of the wheel jack. Just have to ulbolt the heavy winch assembly and remove it so you can get access to the nuts. If you look close in the last pic you can actually see some of the nuts. Those threads will fight you like Boat Bockles hardware so be prepared to curse them :D. Go slow to prevent galling.
IMG_9665.JPG IMG_9668.JPG

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
the fact I almost rammed that coupler into the back of my truck a couple of times already...
@swatski we should have basically the same trailer set up (Swingline trailer with a swing-away neck) and your comment confused me. How is your coupler getting close to your truck?
I always swing my wheel towards the rear and maybe sure the handle stays at as well.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski we should have basically the same trailer set up (Swingline trailer with a swing-away neck) and your comment confused me. How is your coupler getting close to your truck?
I always swing my wheel towards the rear and maybe sure the handle stays at as well.
Sorry! WHat I meant to say is - when uncoupling the trailer for example in my driveway which is at a slope I'm usually backing it at an angle, and stop angled AND on a slight slope (all because I'm such a good husband and Kate doesn't like me driving across the lawn, lol)
Even though I have a system of chocks/wedges in place my tongue/coupler can still swing a couple of inches when uncoupling/popping up, and I have not been able to figure out a way to prevent it as the jack is just so flimsy - it wobbles.
Not a huge safety concern but enough to come dangerously close to the rear gate (even with the jack wheel firmly planted in its spot). It is frustrating and makes me feel a bit uneasy around that trailer...
In my past I had seen a trailer jack collapse unexpectedly, it can be ugly.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@haknslash thanks for this post, I was clueless about this jack, now I understand it, the part with it being built-into the winch assembly and just these two short bolts holding the entire jack/tongue assembly up. Not necessarily bad design but I don't like not being able to easily inspect the short bolts' nuts - as those are inside the "cup".
Looks like it is an expensive assembly, too. The hardware alone is like $80
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHORELANDR-7-Galvanized-Winch-Stand-Kit-w-Hardware-TA099300/253322045334?hash=item3afb2ba796:g:G9sAAOSwETJaOnbJ&vxp=mtr

EDIT: My short bolts are tight, or so they appear, so that is not the reason for my jack's flimsiness/wobble.
--

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My short bolts are tight, or so they appear, so that is not the reason for my jack's flimsiness/wobble.
Mine is the same way (had to walk outside to make sure), but my "wobble" (great word - love it!) comes from the wheel itself. That seems like a very cheap wheel and plastic/cheap hub for the weight that is placed upon it.