• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Issues with bilge pump.

Be O Be

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Went out with boat this weekend and noticed when I took boat out of water at the end of the day and took drain plug out I had water coming out for about 5 min. So went out the next day and manually was using my bilge and no water was coming out of boat. Boat is a 22 255xd. When I push the button for the bilge it lights up but then immediately the light go back off. Is there a fuse,relay or any easy way to test this issue?

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Could be something stuck in the pump wheel.........most twist to removable and clean out the strainer..........sometimes the motor corrodes and freezes up you can spin the pump wheel, sometimes this will get the pump going.

Be O Be

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
That’s true. Silly question but I only have one pump on my boat right? And the only one is located down by the clean out ports?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure exactly its location on your boat, but should be one and down by the engine, I believe. Look for the hose that goes to the thru hull fitting & follow it back...

Mine has a breaker next to the switch, but pretty sure they changed that for your year. But if it is coming on and going off again, the problem is not a fuse or breaker...

Be O Be

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
True. I will try that and see if the pump is clogged.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Went out with boat this weekend and noticed when I took boat out of water at the end of the day and took drain plug out I had water coming out for about 5 min.
Normal, until you track down and address where or what is the issue allowing water in your boat. Look for the leak thread here, and start working down the list.

Take pics of the cleanout tray and post them here, the anchor locker drain, etc etc etc.

Cleanout tray is a likely culprit, the cleanout tray inspection hatch on TOP of the cleanout tray will be another contributing factor if the tray itself leaks, and the anchor locker are the 3 consistent issues. The cleanout plugs allowing blow-by could contribute, but shouldn't be the main factor, as that feeds the cleanout tray... 1+1=2

So went out the next day and manually was using my bilge and no water was coming out of boat
The boat is level at that point. The bilge pump is operating correctly as well. Nothing will be pumped out until you plane out, and get the bow to rise, thereby moving the most water rearward where the bilge will automatically remove it until it's below the level of the pump.

Manually operating it isn't likely to do much more, if anything, than it will do on its own when the conditions for tripping the pump are sufficient

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The easiest test is also not what you want to do if you don't have to. The pump works when there's enough water to remove. Fill your bilge with a hose until it kicks on.

Be O Be

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
So is there a way I can tell if the pump is turning on? Will it make any sufficient amount of noise?

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You should also be able to see the pump, somewhere between the two motors, near the rear of the engine compartment. Likely white, with red/blue trim or markings. Point the hose near it while it's turned on. It should pump/gurgle. Watch your switch light to see if it is replicating what you observed before

Be O Be

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
So located pump in between the two motors. I filled up that location with water and still no water was pumping out. I manually hit switch also and nothing. When I do turn power on I hear a buzzing noise but not sure if that’s the pump however it makes no different sound when I hit pump switch. I guess next I can see if I am getting power to it however if I am and I need to swap it out what’s the process of removing it? I gave it a little tug but nothing. 1717365908981.jpeg

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Should be a tab on the side you press to unlock the pump from the strainer base, some round ones twist to unlock.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Amazon shows this, using the model number from your Pic. @tdonoughue has the direct link to the manual, and troubleshooting is within. It sounds like you may have a clogged intake, and other than being a PITA to reach it for servicing and testing, you should be able to clear it and hopefully solve your issue.

This may be a reason to add a second bilge pump, lower, and in the rear where you can get a better spot to remove the water in the bilge at a lower vantage point

1000022382.png

Be O Be

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Gotcha. Awesome. Gonna check in out in a few and keep you posted. Thanks!!!!

Be O Be

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
So ran a test light on power and everything checked out. I took pump out and ran it off a spare battery I have and nothing. Tried the test light also and nothing. So have to swap it out. Any recommendations on a better pump? Should I stay with a 500 or upgrade? Does it have to be a 1.8amp also?

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Most pumps are sized to the hose size for gal per min. Going to large on pump/more amps might not move to much more water due to hose limits.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Use the Same pump.

If you want more power and more redundancy you can add another pump and another hose and hole out the side. I have 3 pumps total.

"I wish I had fewer bilge pumps" said no one ever. What you really need is a bilge alarm. if anything goes wrong, and you notice water because you are in it, it's too late to try to fix it. Our boats have many holes under the water line, any hole is a potential water ingress point when stuff breaks. Bilge Alarm let's you figure it out sooner, and more bilge pumps will keep you afloat. Luck favors the prepared.

Be O Be

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I
Use the Same pump.

If you want more power and more redundancy you can add another pump and another hose and hole out the side. I have 3 pumps total.

"I wish I had fewer bilge pumps" said no one ever. What you really need is a bilge alarm. if anything goes wrong, and you notice water because you are in it, it's too late to try to fix it. Our boats have many holes under the water line, any hole is a potential water ingress point when stuff breaks. Bilge Alarm let's you figure it out sooner, and more bilge pumps will keep you afloat. Luck favors the prepared.
That’s a good way of looking at it. Where did you install your other 2 pumps? Was in a real pain in the ass to do? And also I never even heard of a bilge alarm but makes total sense!! 👍👍🤙🤙

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I put my 2nd also between the motors. Wish I had put it below in the lower bilge, but that would have been more of a pain. But if I get a third, that's where it is going.