• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Issues with hi roaster tail

jasgerb

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
we just bought a 242x 2018, so far love it but recently noticed that there is a higher than usual roast tail. Unless I am going speeds around 30s it doesn’t really flatten. When pulling a tube a lot of spray is shooting up and distracting the rider. Any suggestions what it could be and any fixes?

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you have fins on it? I had a problem with one of my fins and it caused spray issues.

jasgerb

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
No I don’t think so. Everything I have is standard from manufacturer

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
It is do to the surf point on the 242x e it aims the nozzles in at about a 12* angle. With the 2 jets hitting each other you get this spray.

jasgerb

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That makes sense. It just seems like more than what we experience from previous boat outings this summer. Being a new owner, particularly to jet drive boat, it worried me.

jasgerb

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Is there any way to reduce the jet spray?

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
My last boat a Yamaha Exciter was flatter. Now with that being said the exciter is a completely different boat but I had it for 14yrs and can tell the difference in the jet alignment / wash from them.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is there any way to reduce the jet spray?
If it's really from surf point then you could re angle the nozzles but more likely if its a tubing issue I would say a longer tow line is the better solution.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Yes change the alignment/ get rid of surf point. I was also thinking of leaving the nozzle alignment alone & adding a 2 deg. pump wedge but installing it upside down to angle the nozzle downward. This could have a negative effect on top speed but the boat would plain out sooner.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
We tow with a 60' rope that includes the buster ball in the middle but that was too close so we added 30' and it is better but...

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wow that is a really cool, simple and inexpensive solution but if I wasn’t using the boat for wake surfing or boarding I would just re angle each jet steering nozzle outward from center. On the other hand I realize that if I bought the e series it was probably for the wake it produces so that flap would be perfect for those times I want to pull a tube around instead of a boarder.

Having just pulled a bunch of teens and 20 something’s around all weekend I must admit some of the best times I had were pulling a full tube at speeds of up to 30 mph while it was rifht behind the boat. It’s funny to see how different people react to being peppered on the face by high speed drops of rain. Especially when it’s the boys that are screaming not the girls. It’s also a great way to check on who actually listened to me when I went over the hand signals. If they signaled for me to turn I did unless the signal was the middle finger then I’d speed up. I know it sounds mean because it is but I wasn’t the only one laughing, pretty much everyone in the boat with me (mostly parents) was. Try it if you can it’s a guilty pleasure so don’t like it too much but ....

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
you could make one of these I'm going to give it try LOL..
He just needs to put a big Yosemite Sam “Back Off” on that thing!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Or a symbol of the buyer’s choice (aquaman, Batman, Superman or of course Wonder Woman, still has man in it, ha!). My wife thinks God is a woman, I think BS .

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think the jet boats simply spray further back than you are used to. I just got a longer rope for the tubes which was where most of the issues were. The water was just going in their face. That solved the problem for us.

Fozzy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have the regular 242 LSE and it still sprays water up in the kids face up to 70'. With this long of line it makes it hard to really whip the tube around. We have been messing around with surfing and have been able to get up with the rope with only human ballast. I am going to try the surf flap for both applications. Even if it doesn't make the perfect surf wave I hope it will knock some of the spray down for tubing and knee boarding for the little kids.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I'm working on my flap now and will post soon

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just showed the flap video to my wife and son, they said, “don’t get it, it wouldn’t be tubing without the spray.”

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I just showed the flap video to my wife and son, they said, “don’t get it, it wouldn’t be tubing without the spray.”
I was just joking about it knocking the spray down. The spray is too far back. I'm making mine for surfing.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How does it help with a surf wave? I’m not into wake surfing so I’m not sure what to look for. Thought you’d want a big wave close to the boat.