• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Issues with Neutral

afdouble

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Mates--

I'm looking for some advice. At low speeds my boat (not engine) makes a slight knocking sound while in neutral or low speeds. It is almost like a rattle, but I don't feel anything or hear anything at the throttle. It appears to be coming from the back of the boat, likely the nozzles/buckets/etc...

Additionally, the boat has always remained steady (in one place) when it starts and is in neutral. Recently, the boat tends to move forward ever so slightly (enough to notice and have a rider ask why I had throttle in forward).

I am wondering if the sound and movement are related. Has anyone else experienced this? My first inclination was to check the reverse bucket. While I have never had any experience with this issue, I have read that the reverse bucket can causes rattling/knocking. When I looked, with the throttle engaged in the first forward position, the reverse bucket clears the water outlet. I don't think this is the issue.

What am I missing? Thanks in advance.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would definitely take a good look at the buckets to begin with. Make sure they are closing all the way and that they haven't been knocked loose.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sounds like your reverse gate needs adjusting. The knocking sound could be the gate hanging too low and bouncing off the jet stream. This could also explain your forward creep.

Here is an FAQ on adjusting it:

afdouble

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks, i will check the buckets again. But I wonder, isn't the chattering felt because the bucket is too low (and hitting the jet stream)? Conversely, isn't the forward creep because the bucket is too high (and letting more jet stream out)? It seems as if I have conflicting problems.

Last edited:

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My boat rattles a bit until it gets up to about 1400 rpm’s.