• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Jet Boat Steering Assist

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just took my boat out for the first time and I really had a hard time steering, especially at low speed, as described here.

I see there are a couple different steering assist options, like the thrust vector and so on.

Can someone explain the difference between the available options? I see there are a couple different brands, like the one on special for members here and the cobra jet models. I am new and I’d like to know which works best. I know the special price expires in 2 days so I’m trying to figure out just in case that’s the best option.

For reference, I have a 2012 SX210.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just took my boat out for the first time and I really had a hard time steering, especially at low speed, as described here.

I see there are a couple different steering assist options, like the thrust vector and so on.

Can someone explain the difference between the available options? I see there are a couple different brands, like the one on special for members here and the cobra jet models. I am new and I’d like to know which works best. I know the special price expires in 2 days so I’m trying to figure out just in case that’s the best option.

For reference, I have a 2012 SX210.
I had cobras

Basically thrust vectors will rise at speed. Cobras will as well but you set them to be down all the time and have streering aid at speed. I will let others share their opinions.

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks, great video. Part of my confusion was that I know there's 2 brands but there seems to be more than 1 product, so I wasn't sure what the different products do and which I could use for my boat.

Basically, my biggest pain for my first time on the water was low speed turning. The wind picked up a little and getting my boat back on the trailer was a task.

n1111z

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I've had both TV and CJ on different Yamaha jet boats. Both provide excellent handling at slow speed. CJ does the same on plane. Short answer, go with CJ, you won't be sorry. As for the different iterations Jeff is modifying them all the time, call Jeff:
jeff-w@cobrajetsteering.com or (727) 546-8460.

His customer service is second to none.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do the Cobra Jet, I have had great success with them.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There are lots of threads here as to the perceived benefits and downsides of both. I have the TV's (I liked the idea of them coming up at speed and not affecting the way the boat handled then, at the time). Search through the board and you will find endless fights and discussions on the topic (as well as discussion of each of the differences of the different topics). I would also recommend you reach out to each of the proprietors directly (probably with a PM) with any educated questions you have for them. Both are members of this board and both very responsive and helpful.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I would recommend the super ultimate twin engine system for your model Yamaha jet boat, the buy direct discount price is only $399.99 with free shipping in the
U S A.
That set will provide you with both slow speed assistance and high speed assistance it is adjustable so you decide on the influence level you feel is right for you The system is made from tempered aluminum and is spring loaded and it is also compatible with the mega fang plus upgrade for extra reverse control additional usable reverse thrust, better stopping power and easier steering at speed, the buy direct discount price is only $169.99 for that upgrade and it can be added anytime.
You can go here https://jetboaters.net/threads/basic-information-about-the-various-options-from-cobra-jet-steering-llc.16857/ for pictures and information about most of my steering systems as well as view page 3 for a list of posts from members describing the systems.

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you all for the feedback. It is very helpful and the video references were as well. If my next boat outing goes similarly next time, I will likely look at buying a steering system to help me get better control at very slow speed.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
In my opinion, I think all boats need some kind of rudder to assist with forward low speed handling as the design relies on jet thrust to steer. Outboards and stern drives have the lower unit in the water for a rudder, wake boats and sailboats have rudders too. So I think Jetboats need something. It wasn't really a factor when looking at new boats for us as I knew I could add a rudder if needed to the BRP drives. And after buying the Yamaha with the articulating keel (just a rudder), I find I have no need for additional fins in the water - she handles the same as a stern drive. The only mod I did was get a second control tie-rod from CJS to balance out the steering loads with the two engines. I found it made a difference to steering feedback and it turns slightly smoother and easier during low speed maneuvering around docks and ramps.