• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling July 10th to 15th 2017

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Ramblin Wreck, I hope you are right about the crossing conditions.

I agree that I have never met anyone who was unhappy arriving in Bimini regardless of the crossing conditions.

@Andy S, I really appreciate your input and hope that you will continue to monitor the conditions and provide your insight on the safety of this crossing.

While I know that experienced crews should be able to handle the forecast waters my concern lies with the crews that have never been in the ocean before or who have issues that may reduce their ability to take a beating.

Don't get me wrong, if someone has never crossed or really boated for a distance in a small vessel across the ocean, unless the seas are just about perfect they'll probably going to think it's really bad seas. I know I sure did my first time or two. With longer trips recently to the Exumas and Abacos, I still dislike the gulf stream the most. However, I think this forecast is very manageable and knowing that it's all over in say 2:30 hours is a good feeling.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Ramblin Wreck, I hope you are right about the crossing conditions.

I agree that I have never met anyone who was unhappy arriving in Bimini regardless of the crossing conditions.

@Andy S, I really appreciate your input and hope that you will continue to monitor the conditions and provide your insight on the safety of this crossing.

While I know that experienced crews should be able to handle the forecast waters my concern lies with the crews that have never been in the ocean before or who have issues that may reduce their ability to take a beating.
For those that have experience the open water before here is a little advise and some of this might have been mentioned before.

- Don't let the first few miles of leaving Florida scare you, the waves are typically worse close to Florida and settle down some at about the 10 mile mark.
- Try to find a speed where the boat isn't constantly slamming down on the water and leave the throttles there, the boat can handle a lot more than you are willing to tolerate. As conditions get consistently better or worse then make small adjustments to your speed, don't neceesarily adjust speed based on the rogue waves which will happen about every 10 waves or so.
- My estimate is based on the forecast the novice boaters will start out in the 20-25 mph range and slowly work up to 30-35mph by the time you get to Bimini.

Majorsmackdown

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If there's any, any chance you have someone on board who might get seasick-have them take appropriate measures.

It's always the folks that 'don't get seasick' (but don't spend time offshore) that find out the hardest.

I've been on three trips made miserable by a seasickness victim. They all expected to be fine. Getting away from shore usually brings it out.

Dramamine.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well like an idiot I was thinking I could just walk in a passport office and get a passport within a day lol. I was thinking of tagging along with Bill D and Blacksapphirez tomorrow but I didn't realize it takes weeks for this kind of paperwork lol. Oh well I'm bummed but I hope everyone has a safe travel on the roads to Ft Lauderdale and a safe crossing. I will be following thru everyone's trackers and can't wait to hear the stories and see the return posts. Safe travels y'all!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well like an idiot I was thinking I could just walk in a passport office and get a passport within a day lol. I was thinking of tagging along with Bill D and Blacksapphirez tomorrow but I didn't realize it takes weeks for this kind of paperwork lol. Oh well I'm bummed but I hope everyone has a safe travel on the roads to Ft Lauderdale and a safe crossing. I will be following thru everyone's trackers and can't wait to hear the stories and see the return posts. Safe travels y'all!
If you want to go, try harder. You can get a passport same day. There are agencies that will walk them through for you or you can show up at an issuing office and get it yourself.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This right there.
It can be very unpleasant for some, easily reaching the point of feeling it is not worth it. As a captain you need to do what's right.

--

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I was on the .gov site and it doesn't show a passport agency that can do expedited passports in my state. Closest place they show is Atlanta. I don't know much about the whole passport thing but I'll just do my best to make the trip next year.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey @swatski,

What route are you taking to FL ? I'm leaving tonight around midnight? How does the Q7 TDI tow the boat? I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 3.0 diesel engine and it does very well. Actually I towed the boat to Lake of the Ozarks last year with the Jeep. I'm towing with our truck for this trip, but I have no doubt the oil burner Jeep would do the job
We don't see a way to avoid Atlanta... (the alternatives are not optimal)
The Q7 TDI is simply amazing. Don't want to distract from the thread's scope here.

--

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Passport=Government=Takes a while

jayasaki138

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautic Star
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Final step of my preparation. Just added Bahamas Extension to my BoatUS policy.

Majorsmackdown

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
From out west, we don't see this too often. Im not talking about the carpet color. About a 2"'erIMG_1989.JPG

hobineros

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NO skinny dipping in the ocean past dusk? IM done, no vacation for me. PFT!
I am bringing a two sided map printed on waterproof paper for every vessel.
Mines bigger - 36x42" lol

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That time when u take your not out fishing on the lake and see your boat mechanic out testing a ski and he rides up to u and says... u going to bikini? Nah.. not this year.. he said... u wanna go? If u go next year I'll go on a ski!!... so going to bikini with your personal professional mechanic in tow!! Uhhhh... 366 days (ish) to prepair.. ie.. convince the wife! Everyone have a safe and fun trip... make lots of videos that I can show the wife..

hobineros

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

ACrews

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We don't see a way to avoid Atlanta... (the alternatives are not optimal)
The Q7 TDI is simply amazing. Don't want to distract from the thread's scope here.

--
Is that a trim tab controller I see on right side of dash?...you cheater! Haha

ACrews

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
For those new to the trip this year, giving the current forecast of a bumpy ride...

Once your group starts to head out of the inlet, try setting your throttles around the 5,000-5,500 rpm. Then use cruise control to adjust speed. Hitting some waves as hard as you may, it'll help keep better control of your engines & speed.

To this day my crew & I still talk about the memories made last year!

I wish everyone safe travels on the road & at sea this year. Hope you all have great time & get ready to take the trip of lifetime.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@jayasaki138 what did you have to tell BoatUS to get a rider on your policy? They told me they didn't offer one a few months ago.