• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling July 10th to 15th 2017

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Bimini has always been a loosely organized event with group crossings to and from and one or more group activities while in Bimini. This Gathering was pioneered by @upperdeck, @Andy S and, I believe, three other boats six trips ago. We owe those pioneers a debt of gratitude for paving the way for us.

Many requests have been made for a date for 2017's Bimini Fling. To set those dates we need to determine how long we want to go, when lodging is available and what date ranges are good for the participants. In 2014 we arrived just after the Boston Whaler group had emptied the island of supplies including fuel and were invaded by a much larger Guy Harvey group at the end of our stay. In 2015 and 2016 we were able to time our trip to avoid these inconveniences.

The Confirmed Registrants so far are;

1. BELLA VITA captained by @tim h with 6 previous Bimini Trips from Land O Lakes with 2 adults and 2 children in unit 4K
  2. Jet Ski Dream Rider captained by @JROD with 4 previous Bimini trips from Oak Island, NC with 2 adults and 0 children in Unit 3F + Skis
  3. Propless captained by @Bruce with 3 previous Bimini trips from The Sandbar, Royal, AR with 2 adults and 2 children in Unit 4M
  4. Miss Scarlett captained by @chris24 with 2 previous Bimini trips from Spring Hill Florida with 4 or 5 adults and 0 children in Unit 16D + 1 ski
  5. No Shoes No Shirt No Proplems captained by @MrMoose with 2 previous Bimini trips from Calgary, AB with 1 adults and 2 children in Unit 11F
  6. Vxr captained by @Valerie with 2 previous Bimini trips from Daytona Florida with 1 adults and 0 children in Unit 20E
  7. Radiant Hope captained by @Glen with 1 previous Bimini trips from Fredericksburg, VA with 3 adults and 2 children in Unit 5H
  8. Jewels captained by @Kevin Sargent with 1 previous Bimini trips from Atlanta, GA with 4 adults and 4 children in Unit 2E
  9. Cheese captained by @Majorsmackdown with 1 previous Bimini Trips from Portland, OR with 2 Adults and 2 Children in unit 3C
  10. Champion Explorer 542 SC captained by Omarf4@THT with 1 previous Bimini Trips from Texas with 2 adults and 0 children in unit 17?
  11. Scott's Yacht captained by @Skroggy66 with 1 previous Bimini trip from Flagler Beach with 2 adults and 0 children in Unit 1B
  12. ? captained by @swatski with 1 previous Bimini Trips from Springfield, MO with 1 adults and 3 children in unit 16?
  13. YamaDog captained by @ThatJeepGuy with 1 previous Bimini trips from Brooksville fl with 3 adults and 1 children in Unit 17P
  14. Faith captained by @Alex&Elena with 0 previous Bimini trips from Oldsmar, FL with 3 adults and 5 children in Unit 12C
  15. Gorgeous Anu captained by @Amar Nanduri with 0 previous Bimini trips from Chantilly VA with 4 adults and 2 children in Unit 3A
  16. Blue Yonder captained by @Betik with 0 previous Bimini trips from Lake Texoma, TX with 2 adults and 0 children in Unit 20E
  17. Bamaha captained by @Bill D with 0 previous Bimini trips from Lake Tuscaloosa, Tuscaloosa, AL with 2 adults and 0 children in Unit 16J
  18. Bama Breeze captained by @blacksapphirez with 0 previous Bimini trips from Birmingham, AL with 2 adults and 0 children in Unit 16J
  19. LooSEA GooSEA captained by @Bryan Martini with 0 previous Bimini trips from Cromwell CT with 3 adults and 0 children in Unit 17L
  20. Down Time captained by @DiverB with 0 previous Bimini trips from Lake St. Clair, Michigan with 1 adults and 1 children in Unit 13H
  21. Drift Away captained by @Drift Away with 0 previous Bimini trips from Tarpon Springs FL with 3 adults and 0 children in a house on the canals
  22. The Back Office captained by @Edgar Almonte with 0 previous Bimini trips from Nyack, NY with 5 adults and 1 children in Unit 19E
  23. Carioca captained by @fromrio with 0 previous Bimini trips from Fairfax, VA with 4 adults and 2 children in Unit 7Q
  24. SKOOL DAZE captained by @GMAN2015 with 0 previous Bimini trips from Belews Lake,Greensboro,NC with 2 adults and 4 children in Unit 7D
  25. Island Girl captained by @Hamp with 0 previous Bimini trips from Birmingham, Alabama with 3 adults and 0 children in Unit 7F
  26. MONOS DEL MAR captained by @hobineros with 0 previous Bimini trips from Cutler Bay, Fl with 4 Adults and 0 Children in Unit 21I.
  27. Into The Blue captained by @jaburt with 0 previous Bimini trips from Black Warrior River, Demopolis, AL with 2 adults and 2 children in Unit 1E
  28. Family Jet captained by @Jadams0527 with 0 previous Bimini trips from Apopka, FL with 2 adults and 2 children in Unit 18K
  29. My Lovely Girls captained by @jayasaki138 with 0 previous Bimini trips from Fairfax Station, VA with 2 adults and 0 children in Unit 10B
  30. Hydrotherapy 3 captained by @Julian with 0 previous Bimini trips from Raleigh NC with 2 adults and 0 children in Unit 21M
  31. bare foot island captained by @Lakeboy with 0 previous Bimini trips from Lake Potaka Washington IN with 4 adults and 2 children in Units 19f and 20F.
  32. LOZbums captained by @LOZBum with 0 previous Bimini trips from Lake of the Ozarks, Camdenton, Mo with 4 adults and 2 children in Unit 12A
  33. Mogi captained by @MarkEnMiami with 0 previous Bimini trips from Black Point, FL with 2 adults and 0 children in Unit 3B?
  34. Avenger captained by @NorgaR01 with 0 previous Bimini trips from Bristow, VA with 2 adults and 2 children in Unit 21?
  35. Amulet captained by @Rick215HO with 0 previous Bimini trips from Kingwood, TX with 2 adults and 0 children in Unit 15L
  36. Motor Boatin captained by @Rob9550 with 0 previous Bimini trips from Lake Murray, SC with 2 adults and 2 children in Unit 8F
  37. Cool Jet captained by @rsrlegends with 0 previous Bimini trips from Apex, NC with 3 adults and 0 children in Unit 14K
  38. Jet Ski 1 & 2 captained by @S Elgin with 0 previous Bimini trips from Florence, SC with 3 adults and 3 children in Unit 21N
  39. no name yet captained by @shaun lawson with 0 previous Bimini trips from Houston, TX with 4 adults and 3 children in Units 7I and 21A
  40. Good for us captained by @steven rivera with 0 previous Bimini trips from Red Bank, NJ with 4 adults and 3 children in Unit 8E
  41. Boaty McBoatface captained by @wallacerb with 0 previous Bimini trips from Tarpon Springs Fl with 4 adults and 0 children in a house on the canals
  42. Chooch's Halo captained by @Water Girl with 0 previous Bimini trips from Philadelphia, PA with 2 to 4 adults and 0 children in Unit 2B
  43. Code Blue captained by @Yadel with 0 previous Bimini trips from Miami, FL with 1 adult and 0 children in Unit 17K

Confirmed but not crossing with us
  1. Big Blue captained by @1948Isaac with 4 previous Bimini trips from Cape Coral, Fl with 2 adults and 2 children in Unit 7H
  2. Grey Goose captained by @Ramblin Wreck with 2 previous Bimini Trips from Lake Oconee, GA with 2 adults and 0 children in unit 7H
Registered but have not confirmed condo reservation
  1. Lito captained by @Hector with 1 previous Bimini trips from Richmond, Va with 4 adults and 2 children in Unit
  2. La Yankee captained by @Jr15g with 0 previous Bimini trips from Williamsburg, VA with 5 adults and 0 children in Unit
  3. 2nd Life captained by @Justin Edwards with 0 previous Bimini trips from Lake Mary, Florida with 6 adults and 0 children in Unit
  4. Ridin' Twins captained by @scubarick314 with 0 previous Bimini trips from Seminole, Florida with 2 adults and 3 children in Unit
  5. Her Diamond captained by @TexasPilot71 with 0 previous Bimini trips from Allen, TX with 3 adults and 1 children in Unit
  6. No Name captained by @Gary212ss with 0 previous Bimini trips from Adams, TN with 2 adults and 0 children in Unit
These are our crossing groups

@Bruce - Channel 68
@chris24
@chris24 (Mrs.)
@Betik
@hobineros
@Valerie
@Julian
@Water Girl

@Glen - Channel 69
@Majorsmackdown
@Amar Nanduri
@steven rivera
@NorgaR01
@S Elgin
@S Elgin (Mrs.)
@Skroggy66

@Kevin Sargent - Channel 71
@MarkEnMiami
@Drift Away
@wallacerb
@blacksapphirez
@jaburt
@rsrlegends
@Jason Winn

@MrMoose - Channel 72
@JROD
@ThatJeepGuy
@GMAN2015
@Bryan Martini
@Rob9550
@Lakeboy

@swatski - Channel 78A
@Bill D
@Jadams0527
@Rick215HO
@Edgar Almonte
@DiverB
@LOZBum

@tim h - Channel 68
@Alex&Elena
@Hamp
@jayasaki138
@Omarf4
@shaun lawson
@fromrio

You can register using the form at https://jetboaters.net/forms/bimini-2017-registration.6/respond. The registration process includes an opportunity to vote for the length of trip. So far the traditional Monday to Saturday trip is leading in the polls.

Completing the form will also create a new post with a little info about your boat and crew.

Reservation instructions are found in this post - https://jetboaters.net/threads/jetboaters-net-bimini-fling-july-10th-to-15th-2017.11966/page-17#post-211310

I have been in frequent contact with Bimini Sands who are currently in the process of transitioning from operation by the developer to by the POA. The POA's rental agency is supposed to begin operations in January. Currently most services at Bimini Sands are shut down. It is expected that the fuel dock, ship store and minimal food services will be available before summer 2017. I have been and will continue to closely monitor these developments.

If Bimini Sands is not ready in time we will move on to other resorts which will likely be mean that we will spread throughout the islands. Discussing this with several veteran Bimini Flingers we have all agreed that it is best to give Bimini Sands time to transition. The POA is introducing new higher standards for rental condos that will include WiFi access in all rentals. As long as fuel, ice and the infinity pool are operating we will have a great time.

In 2015 and 2016 we received a discount on the published rental rates. The exact amount of discount will depend on how many participants that we have but I will push for the same 15% that we had last year if not more.

Last year we found that several weeks in June were fully booked in Bimini but were able to determine by January 4th that the fourth week of June was a good week for our group. If we choose June dates for this year I suspect it may take a little longer to determine when would be a good week due to the transition occurring at Bimini Sands. The Registration Form allows you to indicate which weeks of a seven week period would work for your crew. If we are able to find a week in July that is good for the majority of participants we can safely avoid the large groups in June. It is very possible that we will have multiple groups going at different times. I would like to ensure that all of these groups are recognized as JetBoaters.net groups and qualify for the discount.

Saying that we need to get some things out of the way up front....

The Bimini Crossing is more than 50 miles in length, crosses The Gulf Stream and is in The Bermuda Triangle. The weather for the crossing is unpredictable and can change rapidly. We have no idea what the weather will hold when we pick dates six months in advance. There is a real possibility of damaging or losing your boat on the crossing. Two Jet Boaters were swamped and disabled during the 2015 crossing. It is possible that lives could be lost. Two experienced young men lost their lives last July. If your boat is disabled during the trip the cost to tow, salvage or repair your boat could be more than you planned to spend on the entire trip

There is added safety in numbers when we cross as a group. But as the Captain you are responsible for your boat and crew. Any boat or crew member that is not prepared to pound waves for six hours to spend a week in paradise should not attempt the trip. You need to have quality flotation, signaling, navigation and communications equipment on your boat. Boats should not be overloaded. For me that means that I would not want to transport anyone beyond my family of four to Bimini. All boats need to carry sufficient fuel to reach Bimini with a reasonable reserve. For most of our boats that is simply a full tank but for 192s that is perhaps an extra 25 gallons. All boats should maintain sufficient speed to keep up with the group. At minimum that speed will be planing speed. In decent water our speed will be around 30 MPH at which our boats are most efficient. All cargo in your boat needs to be secured. Any heavy cargo in the bow area needs to be secured in such a way that it can be quickly moved backward. All crew should be seated in the cockpit area with the windscreen passage closed.

Moving on to the fun stuff......

Bimini is an amazing place. My families trips there have been the most relaxing and enjoyable vacations that we have ever had. It is something that you will talk about all year long and be counting the days until you can go back again. The experience is similar to camping in a condo with the most amazing scenery and wildlife that you could imagine. You will want to bring everything that you need for the entire trip but also pack light. It is an adventure and will test your boating, navigational, communication, planning, camping, cooking and survival skills. It is a great learning opportunity for my children. You can find lots of info about the location and trip in the Preparing For Bimini Thread https://jetboaters.net/threads/preparing-for-bimini.3800/ .

And now the organizational......

2015 was the biggest JetBoaters group to ever go to Bimini. We experienced much larger water than was forecast. Due to the water conditions we experienced two unexpected issues during the crossing to Bimini. Initially we had two boats that were swamped and had to be towed back into Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale). After refueling we set off again and were able to avoid the swamping problem by avoiding stopping but by that point we were nervous about water conditions and the entire group slowed to speeds that were not compatible with arriving in Bimini with the fuel onboard.

When we leave Port Everglades many Captains and Crew in our group will be entering the ocean for the first time. I have been there and understand that experience. Our boats are capable of way more than our bodies and minds are. For example;

31901-d5fda9b061149f07ea6a7e58f74f49ec.jpg

Knowing that my boat and family had been in rougher water in the Gulf helped enormously with our 2015 crossing.

For 2016 I want to make changes that I believe will address past issues;

1. Focusing on the responsibility of individual Captains for their boat, equipment, crew, cargo, fuel and crossing.

a. Boat - our boats need to be in optimal condition. Everything on the boat needs to be tested. I would recommend having a free US Coast Guard Vessel Safety Check and will do so myself.

b. Equipment - at a very minimum you need to add a handheld VHF and flares. Even though you are crossing in a group you may venture out on your own once in Bimini. Please consider what safety equipment you will have. In 2014 we added Type 1 Life Vests, a fixed VHF radio (up to 20 mile range), two handheld VHF radios (up to 5 mile range), a chart plotter for navigation with a tablet for backup and a second bilge pump. In 2015 planning for a single boar return crossing we added a Delorme inReach satellite tracker and messaging device.

c. Crew - if any of your crew has back or medical issues it would be a good idea to fly them over. On the relatively smooth return portion of the 2015 Fling an experienced Captain hit a rogue wave and suffered a back injury. There is plenty of fun to be had once we get to Bimini. If they are not suited for a long rough crossing of pounding waves please fly them over. I have been in the drivers seat with a screaming passenger where I had to make the decision to ignore that passenger rather than take on water. I would prefer not to experience that again.

d. Cargo - In 2014 we had much better water than 2015 but we had a number of stops to secure cargo. We pack our boat so that the only cargo that is not inside of storage areas is limited to ice chest(s) and an inflatable SUP in the bow. Everything else is inside a door or under a seat. The ice chests are secured so that they can be easily moved into the cockpit without needing to stop the boat. If you have other cargo outside of the storage areas your boat is likely too heavy. If you have to stop to secure cargo in good water you impeding the progress of the group, in rough water you are creating risk for your boat and any others that stop with you.

e. Fuel - Any four stroke Yamaha except for a 190/192 should be able to cross with the fuel in the tank. Many members have done this for years. Even though his crew were the saints at the back of the pack taking care of the slower boats during the 2015 crossing @andy07sx230ho's SX230 made it to Bimini without refueling. In comparison I accelerated to planing speeds around the 20 mile mark and burned 38 gallons with my family, two weeks of food and ham for the group in our SX230. My perspective is that carrying fuel cans increases your boats weight and fuel consumption. It is your decision if you want to carry extra fuel. If you do please do not place the fuel cans where they make clean out ports difficult to use. It is recommended that a 190 carry 10 gallons of extra fuel and a 192 carry 25 gallons of extra fuel at a minimum.

f. Crossing - It is your decision if you want to take your boat out of Port Everglades and attempt the crossing. I am sure that we will all be monitoring the weather and wave forecasts but we learned in 2015 that the forecast may be wrong. If you do venture out of Port Everglades it is your responsibility to get your crew safely to Bimini or return them to Port Everglades. If you experience difficulties other boats will attempt to help but in conditions such as those experienced in 2015 there is very little that another boat of our size and type can do. If you do take on water please keep your crew on your boat. Last year a crew member was injured exiting the stern of a swamped boat. Once in the water your crew will be moving at an average of 4 mph in the Gulf Stream. It is much safer to stay in the boat and wait for rescue. You need to monitor your fuel consumption. If fuel consumption becomes an issue you need to travel at a more efficient speed.

2. Splitting into smaller groups departing at ten minute intervals. The most experienced boaters making the crossing will each lead a small group of four to six boats. I believe this addresses several potential issues;

a. Inaccurate Forecasts - the first group will be several miles out of Port Everglades before the second group exits the port. This lead group will report back about the water conditions. This will avoid the other groups being surprised.

b. Leadership - Each member of the small group will have a leader running immediately ahead. They will be able to see how the leader is taking the waves. This should allow members of the group to emulate the leader and have confidence that they also can handle the upcoming waves.

c. Stopping - each group will handle any issues that occur within that group. If a boat needs to stop the others in the group will either circle or stop depending on the conditions.

d. Communications - it is difficult to hear radio calls with all of the water, wind and engine noise. Each group will use a specific VHF frequency for the group. That way any call on that frequency will be relevant.

e. Observation - After we exit Port Everglades the group members should fan out into a line running beside each other at safe, perhaps 100', intervals at a safe distance behind the leader. This will allow a spotter from the lead boat to observe all of the boats in that group.

3. We will not have a tail. In past years a specific boat has volunteered to be the last and watch for any boats to fall behind. It is unreasonable to ask any boat to take this position. In 2015 the tail spent hours of extra time suffering through rough and dangerous waves. We will not need a tail with small groups that stay together. Our leaders will not travel at unsafe speeds or above the speed that the slowest boat in his group is capable of. Unless the water is very smooth this will be a top speed of 25 to 30 mph. It is the responsibility of the individual Captains to keep up with their leader.

Rough water tips ......

1. Keep your boat above the water and the water below your boat. Our boats have open bows, a bilge pump and limited self bailing capability. Some boat designs allow water to run out almost as fast as it gets in. Ours do not. So staying on plane and avoiding stuffing the bow into waves is important.

2. Move your crew as far back as possible while staying in the cockpit. Your boat is basically hinging on the stern when it goes over a wave. The farther back they are the less impact that they feel.

3. Some small crew members in a lightly loaded boat may wish to lay on one of the side seat cushions while holding on to the nearest handle. The seat cushion will reduce the impact for them.

4. I find it easiest to stand with my legs bent slightly while crossing rough water. That way my leg muscles can take the force of impact. I have the seat bolster up and in place to catch me if I find the waves to be too rough.

5. Make sure that you have the kill switch lanyard on.

6. When the water is rough but not tall enough to come over the bow adding weight to the bow will help to prevent the bow rising which will reduce the impact. Adjustable trim tabs accomplish the same task without the need to shift weight and make it much more convenient to raise or lower the bow.

7. Regardless of speed you will use more fuel in rough water. On a smooth lake our SX230 should get around 3.4 MPG. On the way to Bimini in 2015 we achieved 1.4 MPG. I believe we saw around 1 MPG when we were caught in a 30 MPH cross wind in the Gulf of Mexico. Even on the lightly loaded and relatively calm return trips from Bimini we have experienced around 2.4 MPG. Our boats are most efficient in undisturbed water so you want to avoid running in the water that has been churned up by the boat in front of you for long periods of time.

8. Have everything in your boat secured before you enter rough water. It is much more difficult to secure items when you are bouncing around.

9. If you need to stop decelerate slowly. Coming off plane quickly causes the bow to dip and may result in taking on water. Using reverse will definitely cause your bow to dip.

10. If you get something in your jet(s) continue on until you find an area of smoother water before stopping to clean out your jets. Having seaweed or something else clogging your jet(s) is unfortunate but not nearly as bad as taking on water while your boat is disabled to clean out the jet(s). We experienced a lot of seaweed around Port Everglades in 2015. It was mixed into the waves and often was impossible to avoid. Once we had a jet clogged we gave it a little time to see if it would free itself then we would move to the leeward side of the groups wake and stop when it looked like the big waves had settled for a while. We decelerated slowly and cleaned out the jet(s) as quickly as possible. @Rana and I would each clean out a jet so that we could complete the task in half of the time. After cleaning our jets we would accelerate to a speed that was sufficient to allow us to catch up with the group and move into our previous position. It is important not to have fuel cans or anything else on top of your clean out plug hatch. It would be good to practice this skill before you venture into rough water.

11. When you cross large waves you will hear your jets spinning in the air. This is normal. Many of us have heard it hundreds or thousands of times.

12. If you do get water in your boat stay calm and stay on plane or at minimum keep the bow up. The water will run out through the scupper valve at the stern. Stopping is the worst thing that you can do.

13. Your boat has built in flotation. It is very unlikely to sink. Even when filled with water our boats maintain significant freeboard. If your boat were to become disabled stay in the boat. Your boat is easier for rescuers to locate than individuals who will likely be separated once they are in the water.

Approximate Agenda

Day Before Departure (July 9th) before 4:00 PM. This is the time to stock up on supplies and food for the trip, pack everything in your boat and launch.

My family will spend the night of the 8th in Fort Pierce, FL which is a little under 2 hours from Fort Lauderdale. Being close will give us more time for final preparations on the 9th.

Last minute supplies - There is a very large Bass Pro Shop with a nice aquarium and restaurant that is likely on your way to launch. A Divers Direct is also located in the same parking lot.

Groceries - We shop at the Publix Grocery Store near the Harbor Towne Marina and load the groceries directly into the boat. There is a Winn Dixie a few blocks to the West.

Launch - I recommend launching your boat and leaving your tow vehicle and trailer at Harbour Towne Marina on the Dania Cutoff Canal. They have 24 hour security and charge $15 per day cash for parking. Harbor Towne is 5 miles by water from the Bahia Mar Yachting Center. You will be boating through slow speed areas. I was pulled over for 7 MPH last year so it will take approximately an hour to boat from Harbor Towne to Bahia Mar. You can view the route at http://tinyurl.com/zpzh8yu or download it from http://tinyurl.com/hu8r32u .

Day Before Departure (July 9th) 5:30 PM. Please have your boat docked in a slip at Bahia Mar with a full tank of fuel. We will not stop for fuel on the way to Bimini on the 20th. The fuel dock that is open at that time has asked us to fuel up during the day on Sunday as they had difficulty handling our group in 2014. So please fuel up on the 9th. I will do so at Bahia Mar's fuel dock which closes at 5:30 PM. Lauderdale Marina which is NW of the 17th Street Draw Bridge is another option which offers bait and tackle as well as fuel.

Day Before Departure (July 9th) 6:00 PM Captains meeting(s) at Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel. I would like to break captains meetings up into groups that will be making the crossing together. So we will have three or four smaller captains meetings at locations to be determined. The group leaders and I will work out the split of confirmed participants into groups in April.

Day of Departure (July 10th) 5:40 AM Departure from the Bahia Mar Yachting Center for Bimini Bahamas. I will update the times for departure as we get closer. Current intentions are to have groups leaving at 5:40, 5:45, 5:50, 5:55 and 6:00. Please have your boat loaded with all cargo secured before your departure time. Your group will conduct a combination radio check and roll call ten minutes before departure. You can view the route at http://tinyurl.com/zlatnzuor download it from http://tinyurl.com/jo45osd .

Second Day of Trip ~ Noon Pot Luck / Party at the sandbar on the East Side of North Bimini followed by an evening dolphin cruise. My family has enjoyed this long deserted beach since 2014 and we had some amazing group trips there in 2016. @JROD has explored the mangroves and @waterboy has found some amazing starfish at the southern end. This is an area of shallow water and shifting sand so we will need to be careful but should be a great time. If anyone is really adventurous the wreck of the Hesperus is perhaps 10 miles further west and is covered up in sharks and barracuda. There are many reef areas West of North Bimini that you will pass on the 12.6 mile route to this location. I recommend visiting the Three Sisters rocks where you will find mooring buoys to tie off to, amazing scenery for snorkeling and smaller but hungry reef fish are an easy catch. You can view the route at http://tinyurl.com/zy75fsb or download it from http://tinyurl.com/h5ufatb .

Best Water Day a tour of Cat Cay and the beautiful reefs in this area. We will start with fishing at Tuna Alley then move on to drift diving / snorkeling at the colorful Rainbow Reefs. There are three mooring buoys at Tuna Alley where some of us can tie up while others can raft to the side of those on the buoys. In 2015 my family caught 16+ meals of trigger and snapper in less than an hour. When we deployed chum we were surrounded by a boat size school of fish. Rainbow Reef has a single mooring buoy. Whoever snags the buoy can allow other boats to tie off to them forming a chain. When my family visited Rainbow Reef we found that the strong currents necessitated drift snorkeling. After @Emma and I drifted away from the boat we decided to extend a 100' rope out of the boat and allow snorkelers to drift downstream with he boat. Then they would hold onto the rope to be towed upstream to drift again. These reefs are only a few miles apart. I imagine that those who are not interested in fishing will proceed to Rainbow Reef then perhaps come back to Tuna Alley after we have caught our fill. This is easy fishing that requires nothing more than a hook, line and squid or other bait. We will also go past the Capone, the light house on Gun Cay and the marina at Cat Cay. If time allows we will stop at Honeymoon Harbor to feed the rays on the way back.

Another Worthy Outing Honeymoon Harbor, Gun Cay Bahamas. This beautiful location is 9.1 miles south of Bimini Sands. There are many locations to explore along the way including an airplane wreck, the Sapona, Turtle Rocks and a lighthouse a little further south. The rays are friendly so be sure to bring squid or other suitable food to feed them. You can view the route at http://tinyurl.com/hb556av or download it from http://tinyurl.com/jaaggpl . If water conditions or fuel availability make this destination undesirable we will change the location to the beaches on the North East or North West sides of North Bimini Island.

Day of Return (July 15th) ~ 6:00 AM Departure for Fort Lauderdale. You can view the route at http://tinyurl.com/j8gu5ng or download it from http://tinyurl.com/zwuw56q .

CUSTOMS
Please remember to fill out the customs form that is attached to this post or it can be completed online at http://pdf.ac/6pQ8gY. We also hope to have the immigration forms available at the captain's meeting. The custom's form needs to be completed by the master of the vessel. This form should be downloaded and filled out prior to departure. Each person/family needs to fill out the immigration form but cannot be downloaded. I also have attached a mostly completed copy of my form from 2016 in case anyone wants a cheat sheet. More info on customs/immigration can be found at Bahamas.com/boating or http://www.bahamas.com/boating-enter-exit

@Bill D tested out the "fillable" version of the form located at http://pdf.ac/6pQ8gY and has the following advice for us.

"When you create a text box, all you have to do is click about where you want it and start typing. After you fill the box, you can click and hold on the little arrow right above to drag it into position. Also, after the first text box is placed, there are alignment lines that show up.

A few hints for newbies like me (Thanks Bruce).... Our port of departure is Port Everglades, USA. Our port of arrival is Bimini. Our next port / country is Port Everglades & USA."

Thank you @Bill D!

Here is a map of interesting places to visit in Bimini

#bimini
#bimini2016

Attachments

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ladies and Gentelmen,

It is that fun time of the year to open our wallets to reserve our piece of paradise. First I will start with some caveats and an explanation of changes from previous years.

@Glen, @Kevin, @MrMoose, @swatski and I have been working with Bimini Sands to negotiate our stay and determine the viability of the property for this years trip. We believe that despite issues Bimini Sands is our best option.

My family has experienced six crossings to or from Bimini. One of those was an extremely smooth. Three were variations of the roughest days on a lake. The other two were far beyond anything you would ever experience on a lake. Even on the smoothest of the rough crossings boaters without salt water experience were in shock when we arrived in Bimini. Four crossings have gone to plan. One resulted in an aborted attempt after two boats were swamped followed by a successful crossing. Another had to be moved forward 24 hours to catch the only crossable water for several days. On each trip the new salt water boaters who had been shocked by the crossing to Bimini were adjusted to the conditions and were well prepared for the return crossing.

This year we have strong group of experienced boaters returning from past Bimini trips. This gives us experienced leaders for our crossing to Bimini and excellent tour guides while we are there. Last year we started what I hope will be a tradition of appointing new leaders for the return trip. This spreads experience and confidence wider into the group increasing the likelihood of having experienced leaders return for future trips. Many of our likely group leaders, including myself, have decided to stay longer than five nights. Based on my previous experience I am confident that there will be plenty of knowledge within the group to safely cross back to the US. We will be listening to our radios and monitoring your satellite trackers as you return. If there is an issue on your return crossing we will respond.

Bimini Sands is transitioning from being operated by the developer to by the property owners association. At the beginning of this year the POA formed Florida based Rentals at Bimini Sands, Inc. which is currently handling reservations for condos. In March the POA is due to take over the marina, slips, fuel dock, ship store, The Petite Conch Cafe and Infinity Pool Snack Bar. Many of these facilities are currently closed but are scheduled to reopen before May. The reservations staff is new. They have to check with the owner of each condo before booking us into it so the process will be slow. I expect mistakes to occur in the booking process. Unfortunately this is no different than what has occurred with the previous Bimini based management. In the past we have been asked to pay 50% of our rental as a deposit. This year we have agreed upon a single nights rent plus tax deposit which seems appropriate considering the transitional nature of the resort.

The reservation process consists of emailing or faxing the attached reservation form to Beth@TheBiminiSands.com, Fax: (954) 462-4100, Phone: (954) 463-4829 who should identify the closest available condo to what you have requested, charge you for one night plus tax then send a confirmation email. Please include "JetBoaters.net 2017 Bimini Fling Reservation Request - (Your Name)" in the subject of your email with the completed form. Some are uncomfortable sending the form with a credit card number. In that case I suggest sending the form without the number then calling in your payment. Once you have your confirmation email please post your condo number here so that we can know that you are booked and make sure there are no double bookings. The remainder of the payment will be due 14 days before our trip. Slip numbers will be assigned before we depart for Bimini. There is a possibility that if the marina is full some of us may need to share slip space by mooring two boats to the same 50' slip finger. Bimini Sands staff are due to meet us in Bimini to pass out keys to allow us to access to our condos. The check out process will simply be to leave our keys in our condos.

The condo rates have changed slightly this year. The main difference is a $40 to $50 per night reduction in the cost of two bedroom units. The one time cleaning fee has increased by $12.50 and varies by unit size. The slip fee has increased from $35 per night to $50. @Kevin and I have prepared the attached spreadsheet listing rates and identifying what we expect your cost at Bimini Sands to be.

@MrMoose will be working on our discount with Bahia Mar Yacht Club and will post reservation info for your slip for the night of the 9th when that process completes. We have plenty of time so no rush there.

You will want to make a reservation for the night of July 9th at the Double Tree Bahia Mar. Currently I see rates around $159. I have seen discounted rates as low as $99 in the past.

Unfortunately Bimini Sands has a limited number of each type of unit in the rental pool. That means that many of us will not get the exactly the unit they want. In fact I was the first to book and my family did not get exactly what we wanted. On the positive side once we arrive in paradise this will be remembered as a minor issue. The condos start with one bedroom units which have one bathroom with a shower, a small kitchen, an american sized refrigerator, microwave, range with oven, washer, dryer and living room with a television, a couch and likely a love seat, futon or other large seating item. My family of four with two small children has fit into a one bedroom with the children sleeping in the living room in the past and will do so again this year. The next step up is an inexpensive upgrade to a one bedroom with a loft. The loft is a semi private bedroom with an attached bathroom. We find the additional bathroom to be very nice to have. Some lofts have stair access while others have a tall PVC ladder running up the wall. I do not recommend the ladder lofts for small children. From there the units go up in size by bedroom count. Each additional bedroom includes an additional bathroom. I have attached floor plans for one bedroom and two bedroom units. Beyond unit size your choices expand to view. Ocean view units are a little more expensive but provide amazing sunset views which you may catch at the pool instead of your condo. Marina view condos allow for an reassuring glance at your boat. We have enjoyed both options. The infinity pool will be a gather spot in the evenings. It is roughly an 8/10th mile walk from building 21 which is on the opposite side of the resort. This may be an issue for some while others will be attracted to the four very nice one bed with loft ocean view units in building 21 with a private beach. My family chose to spend 2014 and 2015 in building 21. This year we chose to squeeze into a small unit to be close to the pool.

Here is a map of the Resort to allow you to see where your assigned condo is located.

If you have questions about a specific condo you may be able to see who had it last year at https://jetboaters.net/threads/jetboaters-net-bimini-fling-june-19-to-25-2016.8074/.

Good luck everyone. I hope you all get exactly the unit your want and look forward to meeting you all in Fort Lauderdale.

Bahia Mar Doubletree Hotel Reservations July 9th to 10th

Our group reservation link for the Bahia Mar DoubleTree is finally ready. You can book at http://doubletree.hilton.com/en/dt/groups/personalized/F/FLLBMDT-JET-20170706/index.jhtml

The group rate is $109 for a partial ocean view. Self parking is discounted to $15 although I doubt the parking discount will extend to boats and trailers. My total was $120.99 including taxes.

The form allows for and defaults to booking 3 days before and after the 9th to 10th stay that we need. You will save a little time if you change that on the first pass.

If you already have a reservation you can call 1-954-764-2233 using the group name JetBoaters and group code JET to convert your reservation to the group which I believe will save you around $50 over the published rates I have seen.

Initially they have blocked off 20 rooms for us and have promised to add rooms as needed. Please let me know if the form says the block is full.

Bahia Mar Yachting Center Slip Reservations July 9th to 10th

@MrMoose negotiated a discounted rate of $1.25 per foot for our group. Please print, fill out, circle arrival date and fax or email the attached "Bahia Mar Yachting Center" form to Stephanie at SFot@rcibahiamar.com or fax it to her at (954) 627-6356.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bruce has registered to captain Propless with a crew of 2 adults and 2 children. They hail from the home port of The Sandbar, Royal, AR.

The crew is described as: Rana (wife), Emma (9), Gavin (7) and I love spending time in Bimini. We first made the trip in 2014 then enjoyed an extended 12 night trip in 2015 and led the Fling in 2016. We look forward to brining ham for the potluck again this year.

You can register for the event using the form at https://jetboaters.net/forms/bimini-2016-registration.6/respond

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
As a founding member of the Bimini Fling and having made all previous trips or at least an appearance during the trip (2016), the 2017 trip will be the first trip Cindy and I will unfortunately miss. There are too many vacations which includes Shelbyville and not enough time or money.

For the 2017 Bimini trip, I'm hoping the seas are calm, the weather is ideal, and the fuel in Bimini is plentiful.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As a founding member of the Bimini Fling and having made all previous trips or at least an appearance during the trip (2016), the 2017 trip will be the first trip Cindy and I will unfortunately miss. There are too many vacations which includes Shelbyville and not enough time or money.

For the 2017 Bimini trip, I'm hoping the seas are calm, the weather is ideal, and the fuel in Bimini is plentiful.
I know you will have a great time at Shelbyville!

Thank you for everything you have done to make this possible.

JROD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Bimini has always been a loosely organized event with group crossings to and from and one or more group activities while in Bimini. This Gathering was pioneered by @upperdeck, @andy07sx230ho and, I believe, three other boats six trips ago. We owe those pioneers a debt of gratitude for paving the way for us.

Many requests have been made for a date for 2017's Bimini Fling. To set those dates we need to determine how long we want to go, when lodging is available and what date ranges are good for the participants. In 2014 we arrived just after the Boston Whaler group had emptied the island of supplies including fuel and were invaded by a much larger Guy Harvey group at the end of our stay. In 2015 and 2016 we were able to time our trip to avoid these inconveniences.

The Registrants so far are;

Confirmed:

Propless captained by @Bruce from The Sandbar, Arkansas with 2 Adults and 2 Children

You can register using the form at https://jetboaters.net/forms/bimini-2017-registration.6/respond. The registration process includes an opportunity to vote for the length of trip. So far the traditional Monday to Saturday trip is leading in the polls.

Completing the form will also create a new post with a little info about your boat and crew.

I have been in frequent contact with Bimini Sands who are currently in the process of transitioning from operation by the developer to by the POA. The POA's rental agency is supposed to begin operations in January. Currently most services at Bimini Sands are shut down. It is expected that the fuel dock, ship store and minimal food services will be available before summer 2017. I have been and will continue to closely monitor these developments.

If Bimini Sands is not ready in time we will move on to other resorts which will likely be mean that we will spread throughout the islands. Discussing this with several veteran Bimini Flingers we have all agreed that it is best to give Bimini Sands time to transition. The POA is introducing new higher standards for rental condos that will include WiFi access in all rentals. As long as fuel, ice and the infinity pool are operating we will have a great time.

In 2015 and 2016 we received a discount on the published rental rates. The exact amount of discount will depend on how many participants that we have but I will push for the same 15% that we had last year if not more.

Last year we found that several weeks in June were fully booked in Bimini but were able to determine by January 4th that the fourth week of June was a good week for our group. If we choose June dates for this year I suspect it may take a little longer to determine when would be a good week due to the transition occurring at Bimini Sands. The Registration Form allows you to indicate which weeks of a seven week period would work for your crew. If we are able to find a week in July that is good for the majority of participants we can safely avoid the large groups in June. It is very possible that we will have multiple groups going at different times. I would like to ensure that all of these groups are recognized as JetBoaters.net groups and qualify for the discount.

Saying that we need to get some things out of the way up front....

The Bimini Crossing is more than 50 miles in length, crosses The Gulf Stream and is in The Bermuda Triangle. The weather for the crossing is unpredictable and can change rapidly. We have no idea what the weather will hold when we pick dates six months in advance. There is a real possibility of damaging or losing your boat on the crossing. Two Jet Boaters were swamped and disabled during the 2015 crossing. It is possible that lives could be lost. Two experienced young men lost their lives last July. If your boat is disabled during the trip the cost to tow, salvage or repair your boat could be more than you planned to spend on the entire trip

There is added safety in numbers when we cross as a group. But as the Captain you are responsible for your boat and crew. Any boat or crew member that is not prepared to pound waves for six hours to spend a week in paradise should not attempt the trip. You need to have quality flotation, signaling, navigation and communications equipment on your boat. Boats should not be overloaded. For me that means that I would not want to transport anyone beyond my family of four to Bimini. All boats need to carry sufficient fuel to reach Bimini with a reasonable reserve. For most of our boats that is simply a full tank but for 192s that is perhaps an extra 25 gallons. All boats should maintain sufficient speed to keep up with the group. At minimum that speed will be planing speed. In decent water our speed will be around 30 MPH at which our boats are most efficient. All cargo in your boat needs to be secured. Any heavy cargo in the bow area needs to be secured in such a way that it can be quickly moved backward. All crew should be seated in the cockpit area with the windscreen passage closed.

Moving on to the fun stuff......

Bimini is an amazing place. My families trips there have been the most relaxing and enjoyable vacations that we have ever had. It is something that you will talk about all year long and be counting the days until you can go back again. The experience is similar to camping in a condo with the most amazing scenery and wildlife that you could imagine. You will want to bring everything that you need for the entire trip but also pack light. It is an adventure and will test your boating, navigational, communication, planning, camping, cooking and survival skills. It is a great learning opportunity for my children. You can find lots of info about the location and trip in the Preparing For Bimini Thread https://jetboaters.net/threads/preparing-for-bimini.3800/ .

And now the organizational......

2015 was the biggest JetBoaters group to ever go to Bimini. We experienced much larger water than was forecast. Due to the water conditions we experienced two unexpected issues during the crossing to Bimini. Initially we had two boats that were swamped and had to be towed back into Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale). After refueling we set off again and were able to avoid the swamping problem by avoiding stopping but by that point we were nervous about water conditions and the entire group slowed to speeds that were not compatible with arriving in Bimini with the fuel onboard.

When we leave Port Everglades many Captains and Crew in our group will be entering the ocean for the first time. I have been there and understand that experience. Our boats are capable of way more than our bodies and minds are. For example;

View attachment 48920

Knowing that my boat and family had been in rougher water in the Gulf helped enormously with our 2015 crossing.

For 2016 I want to make changes that I believe will address past issues;

1. Focusing on the responsibility of individual Captains for their boat, equipment, crew, cargo, fuel and crossing.

a. Boat - our boats need to be in optimal condition. Everything on the boat needs to be tested. I would recommend having a free US Coast Guard Vessel Safety Check and will do so myself.

b. Equipment - at a very minimum you need to add a handheld VHF and flares. Even though you are crossing in a group you may venture out on your own once in Bimini. Please consider what safety equipment you will have. In 2014 we added Type 1 Life Vests, a fixed VHF radio (up to 20 mile range), two handheld VHF radios (up to 5 mile range), a chart plotter for navigation with a tablet for backup and a second bilge pump. In 2015 planning for a single boar return crossing we added a Delorme inReach satellite tracker and messaging device.

c. Crew - if any of your crew has back or medical issues it would be a good idea to fly them over. On the relatively smooth return portion of the 2015 Fling an experienced Captain hit a rogue wave and suffered a back injury. There is plenty of fun to be had once we get to Bimini. If they are not suited for a long rough crossing of pounding waves please fly them over. I have been in the drivers seat with a screaming passenger where I had to make the decision to ignore that passenger rather than take on water. I would prefer not to experience that again.

d. Cargo - In 2014 we had much better water than 2015 but we had a number of stops to secure cargo. We pack our boat so that the only cargo that is not inside of storage areas is limited to ice chest(s) and an inflatable SUP in the bow. Everything else is inside a door or under a seat. The ice chests are secured so that they can be easily moved into the cockpit without needing to stop the boat. If you have other cargo outside of the storage areas your boat is likely too heavy. If you have to stop to secure cargo in good water you impeding the progress of the group, in rough water you are creating risk for your boat and any others that stop with you.

e. Fuel - Any four stroke Yamaha except for a 190/192 should be able to cross with the fuel in the tank. Many members have done this for years. Even though his crew were the saints at the back of the pack taking care of the slower boats during the 2015 crossing @andy07sx230ho's SX230 made it to Bimini without refueling. In comparison I accelerated to planing speeds around the 20 mile mark and burned 38 gallons with my family, two weeks of food and ham for the group in our SX230. My perspective is that carrying fuel cans increases your boats weight and fuel consumption. It is your decision if you want to carry extra fuel. If you do please do not place the fuel cans where they make clean out ports difficult to use. It is recommended that a 190 carry 10 gallons of extra fuel and a 192 carry 25 gallons of extra fuel at a minimum.

f. Crossing - It is your decision if you want to take your boat out of Port Everglades and attempt the crossing. I am sure that we will all be monitoring the weather and wave forecasts but we learned in 2015 that the forecast may be wrong. If you do venture out of Port Everglades it is your responsibility to get your crew safely to Bimini or return them to Port Everglades. If you experience difficulties other boats will attempt to help but in conditions such as those experienced in 2015 there is very little that another boat of our size and type can do. If you do take on water please keep your crew on your boat. Last year a crew member was injured exiting the stern of a swamped boat. Once in the water your crew will be moving at an average of 4 mph in the Gulf Stream. It is much safer to stay in the boat and wait for rescue. You need to monitor your fuel consumption. If fuel consumption becomes an issue you need to travel at a more efficient speed.

2. Splitting into smaller groups departing at ten minute intervals. The most experienced boaters making the crossing will each lead a small group of four to six boats. I believe this addresses several potential issues;

a. Inaccurate Forecasts - the first group will be several miles out of Port Everglades before the second group exits the port. This lead group will report back about the water conditions. This will avoid the other groups being surprised.

b. Leadership - Each member of the small group will have a leader running immediately ahead. They will be able to see how the leader is taking the waves. This should allow members of the group to emulate the leader and have confidence that they also can handle the upcoming waves.

c. Stopping - each group will handle any issues that occur within that group. If a boat needs to stop the others in the group will either circle or stop depending on the conditions.

d. Communications - it is difficult to hear radio calls with all of the water, wind and engine noise. Each group will use a specific VHF frequency for the group. That way any call on that frequency will be relevant.

e. Observation - After we exit Port Everglades the group members should fan out into a line running beside each other at safe, perhaps 100', intervals at a safe distance behind the leader. This will allow a spotter from the lead boat to observe all of the boats in that group.

3. We will not have a tail. In past years a specific boat has volunteered to be the last and watch for any boats to fall behind. It is unreasonable to ask any boat to take this position. In 2015 the tail spent hours of extra time suffering through rough and dangerous waves. We will not need a tail with small groups that stay together. Our leaders will not travel at unsafe speeds or above the speed that the slowest boat in his group is capable of. Unless the water is very smooth this will be a top speed of 25 to 30 mph. It is the responsibility of the individual Captains to keep up with their leader.

Rough water tips ......

1. Keep your boat above the water and the water below your boat. Our boats have open bows, a bilge pump and limited self bailing capability. Some boat designs allow water to run out almost as fast as it gets in. Ours do not. So staying on plane and avoiding stuffing the bow into waves is important.

2. Move your crew as far back as possible while staying in the cockpit. Your boat is basically hinging on the stern when it goes over a wave. The farther back they are the less impact that they feel.

3. Some small crew members in a lightly loaded boat may wish to lay on one of the side seat cushions while holding on to the nearest handle. The seat cushion will reduce the impact for them.

4. I find it easiest to stand with my legs bent slightly while crossing rough water. That way my leg muscles can take the force of impact. I have the seat bolster up and in place to catch me if I find the waves to be too rough.

5. Make sure that you have the kill switch lanyard on.

6. When the water is rough but not tall enough to come over the bow adding weight to the bow will help to prevent the bow rising which will reduce the impact. Adjustable trim tabs accomplish the same task without the need to shift weight and make it much more convenient to raise or lower the bow.

7. Regardless of speed you will use more fuel in rough water. On a smooth lake our SX230 should get around 3.4 MPG. On the way to Bimini in 2015 we achieved 1.4 MPG. I believe we saw around 1 MPG when we were caught in a 30 MPH cross wind in the Gulf of Mexico. Even on the lightly loaded and relatively calm return trips from Bimini we have experienced around 2.4 MPG. Our boats are most efficient in undisturbed water so you want to avoid running in the water that has been churned up by the boat in front of you for long periods of time.

8. Have everything in your boat secured before you enter rough water. It is much more difficult to secure items when you are bouncing around.

9. If you need to stop decelerate slowly. Coming off plane quickly causes the bow to dip and may result in taking on water. Using reverse will definitely cause your bow to dip.

10. If you get something in your jet(s) continue on until you find an area of smoother water before stopping to clean out your jets. Having seaweed or something else clogging your jet(s) is unfortunate but not nearly as bad as taking on water while your boat is disabled to clean out the jet(s). We experienced a lot of seaweed around Port Everglades in 2015. It was mixed into the waves and often was impossible to avoid. Once we had a jet clogged we gave it a little time to see if it would free itself then we would move to the leeward side of the groups wake and stop when it looked like the big waves had settled for a while. We decelerated slowly and cleaned out the jet(s) as quickly as possible. @Rana and I would each clean out a jet so that we could complete the task in half of the time. After cleaning our jets we would accelerate to a speed that was sufficient to allow us to catch up with the group and move into our previous position. It is important not to have fuel cans or anything else on top of your clean out plug hatch. It would be good to practice this skill before you venture into rough water.

11. When you cross large waves you will hear your jets spinning in the air. This is normal. Many of us have heard it hundreds or thousands of times.

12. If you do get water in your boat stay calm and stay on plane or at minimum keep the bow up. The water will run out through the scupper valve at the stern. Stopping is the worst thing that you can do.

13. Your boat has built in flotation. It is very unlikely to sink. Even when filled with water our boats maintain significant freeboard. If your boat were to become disabled stay in the boat. Your boat is easier for rescuers to locate than individuals who will likely be separated once they are in the water.

I will update this agenda when dates are chosen.....

Please hold off on booking reservations until I have the discounts agreed with Bimini Sands and Bahia Mar Yacht Club.

Day Before Departure 4:00 PM. This is the time to stock up on supplies and food for the trip, pack everything in your boat and launch.

My family will spend the night of the 18th in Fort Pierce, FL which is a little under 2 hours from Fort Lauderdale. Being close will give us more time for final preparations on the 19th.

Last minute supplies - There is a very large Bass Pro Shop with a nice aquarium and restaurant that is likely on your way to launch. A Divers Direct is also located in the same parking lot.

Groceries - We shop at the Publix Grocery Store near the Harbor Towne Marina and load the groceries directly into the boat. There is a Winn Dixie a few blocks to the West.

Launch - I recommend launching your boat and leaving your tow vehicle and trailer at Harbour Towne Marina on the Dania Cutoff Canal. They have 24 hour security and have charged $8 per day cash for parking in the past. Harbor Towne is 5 miles by water from the Bahia Mar Yachting Center. You will be boating through slow speed areas. I was pulled over for 7 MPH last year so it will take approximately an hour to boat from Harbor Towne to Bahia Mar. You can view the route at http://tinyurl.com/zpzh8yu or download it from http://tinyurl.com/hu8r32u .

Day Before Departure 5:30 PM. Please have your boat docked in a slip at Bahia Mar with a full tank of fuel. We will not stop for fuel on the way to Bimini on the 20th. The fuel dock that is open at that time has asked us to fuel up during the day on Sunday as they had difficulty handling our group in 2014. So please fuel up on the 19th. I will do so at Bahia Mar's fuel dock which closes at 5:30 PM. Lauderdale Marina which is NW of the 17th Street Draw Bridge is another option which offers bait and tackle as well as fuel.

Day Before Departure 6:00 PM Captains meeting(s) at Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel. I would like to break captains meetings up into groups that will be making the crossing together. So we will have three or four smaller captains meetings at locations to be determined. The group leaders and I will work out the split of confirmed participants into groups in April.

Day of Departure 6:00 AM Departure from the Bahia Mar Yachting Center for Bimini Bahamas. I will update the times for departure as we get closer. Current intentions are to have groups leaving at 6:00, 6:10 and 6:20. Please have your boat loaded with all cargo secured before your departure time. Your group will conduct a combination radio check and roll call ten minutes before departure. You can view the route at http://tinyurl.com/zlatnzuor download it from http://tinyurl.com/jo45osd .

Second Day of Trip ~ Noon Pot Luck / Party at the sandbar on the East Side of North Bimini followed by an evening dolphin cruise. My family has enjoyed this long deserted beach since 2014 and we had some amazing group trips there in 2016. @JROD has explored the mangroves and @waterboy has found some amazing starfish at the southern end. This is an area of shallow water and shifting sand so we will need to be careful but should be a great time. If anyone is really adventurous the wreck of the Hesperus is perhaps 10 miles further west and is covered up in sharks and barracuda. There are many reef areas West of North Bimini that you will pass on the 12.6 mile route to this location. I recommend visiting the Three Sisters rocks where you will find mooring buoys to tie off to, amazing scenery for snorkeling and smaller but hungry reef fish are an easy catch. You can view the route at http://tinyurl.com/zy75fsb or download it from http://tinyurl.com/h5ufatb .

Best Water Day a tour of Cat Cay and the beautiful reefs in this area. We will start with fishing at Tuna Alley then move on to drift diving / snorkeling at the colorful Rainbow Reefs. There are three mooring buoys at Tuna Alley where some of us can tie up while others can raft to the side of those on the buoys. In 2015 my family caught 16+ meals of trigger and snapper in less than an hour. When we deployed chum we were surrounded by a boat size school of fish. Rainbow Reef has a single mooring buoy. Whoever snags the buoy can allow other boats to tie off to them forming a chain. When my family visited Rainbow Reef we found that the strong currents necessitated drift snorkeling. After @Emma and I drifted away from the boat we decided to extend a 100' rope out of the boat and allow snorkelers to drift downstream with he boat. Then they would hold onto the rope to be towed upstream to drift again. These reefs are only a few miles apart. I imagine that those who are not interested in fishing will proceed to Rainbow Reef then perhaps come back to Tuna Alley after we have caught our fill. This is easy fishing that requires nothing more than a hook, line and squid or other bait. We will also go past the Capone, the light house on Gun Cay and the marina at Cat Cay. If time allows we will stop at Honeymoon Harbor to feed the rays on the way back.

Another Worthy Outing Honeymoon Harbor, Gun Cay Bahamas. This beautiful location is 9.1 miles south of Bimini Sands. There are many locations to explore along the way including an airplane wreck, the Sapona, Turtle Rocks and a lighthouse a little further south. The rays are friendly so be sure to bring squid or other suitable food to feed them. You can view the route at http://tinyurl.com/hb556av or download it from http://tinyurl.com/jaaggpl . If water conditions or fuel availability make this destination undesirable we will change the location to the beaches on the North East or North West sides of North Bimini Island.

Day of Return ~ 6:00 AM Departure for Fort Lauderdale. You can view the route at http://tinyurl.com/j8gu5ng or download it from http://tinyurl.com/zwuw56q .

Booking Bimini Sands Condos

Tagging those that have expressed interest; @Chris-MS, @MrMoose, @Mike Coultas, @sstegh, @swatski, @swatski, @shane hric, @Greg M, @Glen, @Augusto David Rodriguez, @Jr15g, @blacksapphirez, @robert843, @2nazt, @Bimini

CUSTOMS
Please remember to fill out the customs form (I will upload these later). We also hope to have the immigration forms available at the captain's meeting. The custom's form needs to be completed by the master of the vessel. This form should be downloaded and filled out prior to departure. Each person/family needs to fill out the immigration form but cannot be downloaded. More info on customs/immigration can be found at Bahamas.com/boating or http://www.bahamas.com/boating-enter-exit

Here is a map of interesting places to visit in Bimini

#bimini
#bimini2016
1st things first! Our thanks and gratitude to the founding fathers of this great group!!
Bruce, sir, bloody awesome, detailed, accurate, and comprehensive write up! THANKS BIG!!!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hope you guys have fun this year as I probably will not be able to attend do to @Andy S similar problem. @Bruce you may want to change the old @andy07sx230ho to his new name lol.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Hope to attend. Will register when all my ducks are in a row. Starting with passports since they can be used for several trips and/or occasions.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hope to attend. Will register when all my ducks are in a row. Starting with passports since they can be used for several trips and/or occasions.
Get your registration in so we can know what dates work for you.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bruce Thank you again for this incredible write-up.
To all interested, especially the first timers - please STUDY Bruce's write up, it is spot on!

--

GMAN2015

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
GMAN2015 has registered to captain SKOOL DAZE with a crew of 2 adults and 4 children. They hail from the home port of Belews Lake,Greensboro,NC.

The crew is described as: Family of 6 w/4 teenagers ages 17,15,14,13.

You can register for the event using the form at https://jetboaters.net/forms/bimini-2016-registration.6/respond

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Glen has registered to captain Radiant Hope with a crew of 2 (not including me) adults and 2 children. They hail from the home port of Fredericksburg, VA.

The crew is described as: Wife and oldest (18) are both captain certified on large sail boats. Upcoming 11 and 9th graders who have spend their lives on the water and are excellent swimmers.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Glen has registered to captain Radiant Hope with a crew of 2 (not including me) adults and 2 children. They hail from the home port of Fredericksburg, VA.

The crew is described as: Wife and oldest (18) are both captain certified on large sail boats. Upcoming 11 and 9th graders who have spend their lives on the water and are excellent swimmers.

@Kevin Sargent waiting on you my Squid friend... (common Marine experience; never forget Guadalcanal ;-)

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
blacksapphirez has registered to captain Bama Breeze with a crew of 2 adults. They hail from the home port of Birmingham, AL.

The crew is described as: fairly new boater looking to enjoy the Bahamas!

Last edited:

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Amar Nanduri has registered to captain Gorgeous Anu with a crew of 4 adults and 2 children. They hail from the home port of Chantilly VA.

The crew is described as: Anu (wife), Arnav (11), Anya (9). First trip to Bimini for all of us.

Last edited:

tim h

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I like the idea of listing suggested day/half day outings !
Not everyone will be together each day and its a great way to mix it up with others.
Also some don't roll out at the same times of the morning...

scubarick314

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
scubarick314 has registered to captain Ridin' Twins with a crew of 2 adults and 3 children. They hail from the home port of Seminole, Florida.

The crew is described as: Myself, wife and three sons ( 17, 15, and 4)

LOZBum

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
LOZBum (Justin) has registered to captain LOZbums with a crew of 4 adults and 2 children. They hail from the home port of Lake of the Ozarks, Camdenton, Mo.

The crew is described as: Dana (my wife), our 2 daughters 18 & 9, our son 5, and Dana's mom Carrie.

Last edited: