• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling July 10th to 15th 2017

TexasPilot71

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
TexasPilot71 has registered to captain Her Diamond with a crew of 3 adults and 1 children. They hail from the home port of Allen, TX.

The crew is described as: My wife, 20 y/o daughter, 7 y/o son, and myself

You can register for the event using the form at https://jetboaters.net/forms/bimini-2016-registration.6/respond

Jr15g

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Jr15g has registered to captain La Yankee with a crew of 5 adults and 0 children. They hail from the home port of Williamsburg, VA.

The crew is described as: Yari (wife), Carlos, Dalia, Veronica (friends) and I.

You can register for the event using the form at https://jetboaters.net/forms/bimini-2016-registration.6/respond

Augusto David Rodriguez

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Augusto David Rodriguez has registered to captain Per diem with a crew of 2 adults and 2 children. They hail from the home port of Saint Agustine.

The crew is described as: David Rodriguez, Wanda Rodriguez,Christian R(8years) and Valerie R(16)

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Julian has registered to captain Hydrotherapy 3 with a crew of 2 adults and 0 children. They hail from the home port of Raleigh NC.

The crew is described as: WIll probably just be my brother and I.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Speedling has registered to captain Rest Stop with a crew of 2 adults and 3 children. They hail from the home port of Cedar Lake, Indiana.

The crew is described as: One cool captain, one beautiful wife and 3 naughty children that are also super awesome.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Drift Away has registered to captain Drift Away with a crew of 3 adults and 0 children. They hail from the home port of Tarpon Springs FL.

The crew is described as: My wife who has been on boats with me for 5 years and 2 land locked friends from Ohio

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
WHOA! i would actually do the crossing if me and @bronze10 had one like that!
@Rana and I spent a lot of time talking to Bimini condo owners during our extended stay in 2015. Even those with 50 foot boats were clear that sometimes you just have to pound waves to cross the Gulf Stream.

In 2016 we crossed 25 hours earlier than planned to take advantage of safe water conditions. A 35' and 50' boat crossed a few hours after us and had quite a tale to tell about crossing in 5' to 8' seas.

We will use all the forecasting tools available to understand what the water conditions should be for the crossing and will not cross unless it is safe. My family including our 7 and 9 year olds will be he first out of Port Everglades. If it is not safe we will all head back in.

You have plenty of boat for the crossing as long as we are blessed with reasonable conditions for our boats.

NorgaR01

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NorgaR01 has registered to captain Avenger with a crew of 2 adults and 2 children. They hail from the home port of Bristow, VA.

The crew is described as: Two adults and two children 6 and 7 years old.

Duane652000

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Hey guys, I've been a member here for a while as are several of my Chap buddies. There are several of us from chaparral's site that are interested in either joining you guys this year or setting up a different set of dates and inviting your members that can't make the date you guys set to allow everyone multiple opportunities. While we aren't all spinning impellers we all love to carve into the water. This site has more experience making the crossing so we welcome your input, help and guidance. Myself and TexasPilot are planning to trailer our boats over 1300 miles each way. Many of my friends think I'm nuts, so they aren't invited!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Duane652000 i have always been told all are welcome on this trip we have had screw boats and skis going for a few years now. Heck in 2015 we had a random boat that was debating on doing the crossing them selves join us lol.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey guys, I've been a member here for a while as are several of my Chap buddies. There are several of us from chaparral's site that are interested in either joining you guys this year or setting up a different set of dates and inviting your members that can't make the date you guys set to allow everyone multiple opportunities. While we aren't all spinning impellers we all love to carve into the water. This site has more experience making the crossing so we welcome your input, help and guidance. Myself and TexasPilot are planning to trailer our boats over 1300 miles each way. Many of my friends think I'm nuts, so they aren't invited!
My experience is that it is very comforting to have someone to follow the first time you get into rough water. If nothing else you have the nice feeling of seeing that the boat ahead of you is still floating after that wave.

Please register when you get a chance so we will know what dates work for you https://jetboaters.net/forms/bimini-2017-registration.6/respond

Do you know what the freeboard is on your boat and the others considering going? Our Yamahas have a higher freeboard than most similar sized boats which is very helpful in keeping the water out. Are your boats self bailing with scuppers? How are you fixed for bilge pump(s).

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Bruce One thing I didn't read in any of the prep threads is to ensure you keep your deck drain clear of obstructions and accessible. All it would take is a small loose item to clog that drain and seriously compromise the self bailing deck, not to mention just having a cooler or other item in front of it would reduce the out flow.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Duane652000, is your boat a 2130SS?

If so I overlayed a poorly cut out image of your hull over that of a first generation Yamaha 212SS and a LX210. In the third and fifth images I added red coloring to the Yamaha hull in the background so that the difference in freeboard can be seen more clearly. Based on this I believe your freeboard is similar to a LX210 and significantly less than any of the four stroke Yamaha boats. I have taken a LX210 offshore along the Gulf Coast. My opinion was that it was suitable for 1.5' and smaller sears. @Tyler took one to Bimini in 2014. He had great water for the crossing to Bimini and may have set a record running full throttle around 50 MPH on the way there. But on his departure date the seas were building to 2'. It was a rough ride back and ended with a rescue by SeaTow.

My opinion is that anyone taking a 2130SS will have to be very flexible on dates to find a time when the seas are calm for crossing in both directions. I do not believe that a 2130SS could have made the 2015 or 2016 crossings.

Chap2130SSvs212SSvsLX210.png

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Duane652000, is your boat a 2130SS?

If so I overlayed a poorly cut out image of your hull over that of a first generation Yamaha 212SS and a LX210. In the third and fifth images I added red coloring to the Yamaha hull in the background so that the difference in freeboard can be seen more clearly. Based on this I believe your freeboard is similar to a LX210 and significantly less than any of the four stroke Yamaha boats. I have taken a LX210 offshore along the Gulf Coast. My opinion was that it was suitable for 1.5' and smaller sears. @Tyler took one to Bimini in 2014. He had great water for the crossing to Bimini and may have set a record running full throttle around 50 MPH on the way there. But on his departure date the seas were building to 2'. It was a rough ride back and ended with a rescue by SeaTow.

My opinion is that anyone taking a 2130SS will have to be very flexible on dates to find a time when the seas are calm for crossing in both directions. I do not believe that a 2130SS could have made the 2015 or 2016 crossings.

View attachment 49077
I would agree about free-board. That Chap weights something like 3,300lbs though.

--

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would agree about free-board. That Chap weights something like 3,300lbs though.
Did the big bad wolf say, the better to sink you with?

The weight will help to soften the ride compared to a LX210 but the lack of freeboard is going to make it hard to keep the water out of the boat. Actually having windshields is a bonus as well. But I believe that water over the bow is going to be an issue in anything but the smoothest Gulf Stream conditions.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did the big bad wolf say, the better to sink you with?

The weight will help to soften the ride compared to a LX210 but the lack of freeboard is going to make it hard to keep the water out of the boat. Actually having windshields is a bonus as well. But I believe that water over the bow is going to be an issue in anything but the smoothest Gulf Stream conditions.
How do I rate your posts "funny", "useful", and "agree" at once???
All excellent points, also what @Julian said about the scupper, not sure Chapps have it.

One simple (anti-swamping) mod to consider is a bow cover, a snap-on variety. Easy install, great help keeping the water out.

--

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
How do I rate your posts "funny", "useful", and "agree" at once???
All excellent points, also what @Julian said about the scupper, not sure Chapps have it.

One simple (anti-swamping) mod to consider is a bow cover, a snap-on variety. Easy install, great help keeping the water out.

--
I thought all boats built after a certain date (like '95) had to have self bailing decks....but perhaps I dreamed that?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I thought all boats built after a certain date (like '95) had to have self bailing decks....but perhaps I dreamed that?
They all might have self bailing deck but not all discharge directly overboard. My 2016 Cobalt is self bailing (2 locations) but to the bilge, I would have preferred it to discharge overboard but they didn't ask me during their design process. So far in any boat I have owned, knock on wood, I have never need the feature for safety reason, only during cleaning.