• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling July 10th to 15th 2017

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They all might have self bailing deck but not all discharge directly overboard. My 2016 Cobalt is self bailing (2 locations) but to the bilge, I would have preferred it to discharge overboard but they didn't ask me during their design process. So far in any boat I have owned, knock on wood, I have never need the feature for safety reason, only during cleaning.
I wonder how hard it would be to add self bailing to your boat? It doesn't seem it would be all that difficult other then cutting into the hull. Scuppers, drains, clamps and some tubing should be all that is needed.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wonder how hard it would be to add self bailing to your boat? It doesn't seem it would be all that difficult other then cutting into the hull. Scuppers, drains, clamps and some tubing should be all that is needed.
It wouldn't be hard just have looked into it and not sure it is something I want/need. Since I already have 2 deck drains I would only need to add 2 scuppers and a little tubing.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It wouldn't be hard just have looked into it and not sure it is something I want/need. Since I already have 2 deck drains I would only need to add 2 scuppers and a little tubing.
Yes and no. Most runabouts will have the deck floor at, or below, water line.

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Deck has to above the water line a couple of inches the higher the better. Thats why a lot of bow rider/run about don't have these. Or better said this is at least the way i understand it

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes and no. Most runabouts will have the deck floor at, or below, water line.
@Andy S boats floor sits pretty high with some of the highest side freeboard I have seen on a bow rider I 90% sure his floor sits above the waterline. The Yamaha's I know are a lot closer to water. I had though about doing this on my boat but with the current scupper sitting on the water line basically I figured it probably wasn't possible.

TexasPilot71

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My experience is that it is very comforting to have someone to follow the first time you get into rough water. If nothing else you have the nice feeling of seeing that the boat ahead of you is still floating after that wave.

Please register when you get a chance so we will know what dates work for you https://jetboaters.net/forms/bimini-2017-registration.6/respond

Do you know what the freeboard is on your boat and the others considering going? Our Yamahas have a higher freeboard than most similar sized boats which is very helpful in keeping the water out. Are your boats self bailing with scuppers? How are you fixed for bilge pump(s).
Our boat is a 27' Signature (cruiser). Freeboard is plenty high...about 5-6 feet plus obviously a closed bow. Self-bailing overboard with a loaded weight over 8,000 lbs. Bilge pumps in forward and aft bilges.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski I just noticed you have not registered yet are you not taking that new big beautiful boat over this year?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Our boat is a 27' Signature (cruiser). Freeboard is plenty high...about 5-6 feet plus obviously a closed bow. Self-bailing overboard with a loaded weight over 8,000 lbs. Bilge pumps in forward and aft bilges.
Excellent. How large are your fuel tank(s) and what kind of MPG do you get on a lake?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski I just noticed you have not registered yet are you not taking that new big beautiful boat over this year?
Yes, I'm 90% positive I'll be able to do it, if @Bruce will have me that is, LOL. Stupid work is getting in the way of my boating!
My girls are itching to go, wife may need to stay or fly over, will see.

--

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Duane652000, looking at your profile today I see that your boat is a 2135 with a closed bow. That increases your freeboard up to the height of your windshield.

Duane652000

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
@Duane652000, looking at your profile today I see that your boat is a 2135 with a closed bow. That increases your freeboard up to the height of your windshield.
Wow a lot was said since I was last here. Your right, the boats heavy, very heavy for here size and rides smoothly. As you mentioned the 2135 cuddly version of the 2230 has much more freeboard than its sister ship. The deck is taller than the 2130's to make room below deck. I actually have more than my buddies 244 Limited, especially over the bow. Mine sits pretty high.

I'm looking forward to this. Currently I have a 500 gph pump, but will have a second 1000+ as a backup by the time this trip comes up, along with a fixed VHF to complement my hand held. My range is 150 miles with 55 gallon tank. I followed your posts all year for the last crossing.

Last edited:

Hector

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hector has registered to captain Lito with a crew of 4 adults and 2 children. They hail from the home port of Richmond, Va.

The crew is described as: Wife and I, sons Adam 24, Hector Jr 19, daughters Vivian and Dara 17

You can register for the event using the form at https://jetboaters.net/forms/bimini-2017-registration.6/respond

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Dear god is it time to go yet9e11cfa3578168fcb0cea5fc7bf5f5ec.jpg

TexasPilot71

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Excellent. How large are your fuel tank(s) and what kind of MPG do you get on a lake?
One 76 gallon tank and I get 1.9MPG at 4,000 RPM netting 27MPH. Plenty of range :)

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One 76 gallon tank and I get 1.9MPG at 4,000 RPM netting 27MPH. Plenty of range :)
My boat has a 166 mile range at 28 MPH getting 3.7 MPG on a 52 gallon tank. But that is calm lake numbers. I have seen as low as 1 MPG in water that I would never consider crossing in. For the Bimini crossings I have burned 30 to 40 gallons on the way there and 25 on the way back.

Your boat burns 1.95 times as much fuel. You could burn 69 to 78 gallons on the way there.

TexasPilot71

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My boat has a 166 mile range at 28 MPH getting 3.7 MPG on a 52 gallon tank. But that is calm lake numbers. I have seen as low as 1 MPG in water that I would never consider crossing in. For the Bimini crossings I have burned 30 to 40 gallons on the way there and 25 on the way back.

Your boat burns 1.95 times as much fuel. You could burn 69 to 78 gallons on the way there.
Hmm...maybe I should bring a couple gas cans too.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hmm...maybe I should bring a couple gas cans too.
I plan on bringing a 5 or 10 gallon can as well for my SX240. I might need it but better to have it and not ue it. Plus someone else might need it on the way over. i only got 4 people on my boat so i should have more than eoungh room for it.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Is there any way to see the dates posted so far? I have a hectic school schedule but may crash a few days of the trip depending on the dates. I do not feel able to register and vote as I don't have any dates long enough beside a Friday through Wednesday set up or so. I'm just curious what the votes have been so far? I have all my fingers and toes crossed to join along for part of the trip though!

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is there any way to see the dates posted so far? I have a hectic school schedule but may crash a few days of the trip depending on the dates. I do not feel able to register and vote as I don't have any dates long enough beside a Friday through Wednesday set up or so. I'm just curious what the votes have been so far? I have all my fingers and toes crossed to join along for part of the trip though!
I am with ya. The only days me and my crew and my friends and his can make it is 10-14 July. And that was like pulling teeth to get 8 people from 3 different states to sync up.