• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling July 10th to 15th 2017

Alex&Elena

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok, decided to go with it!! I tried to call, but couldn't get a hold of Kenya. Will try right now again! Thank you so much!
Tried to text and call, they said it's a wrong phone number. Could you please check on it, would really appreciate it!!!

Alex&Elena

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
One way, sorry, catch ride back with ur group on following seas
Tried to text and call, they said it's a wrong phone number. Could you please check on it, would really appreciate it!!!

Alex&Elena

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wow - you must have a fixed mount VHF then, glad it worked that far out and you made it back. Could have turned out much worse.
Yes it's fixed with 7' antenna
Wat I did is said I'm out of gas on ch16 and lady at boatus answered then she hooked me up with sea tow and lady at seatow was extra helpful, the pictures of seatow that was posted earlier was us and the guy in tow boat. My Daugher caled him super hero my son told him thank you for saving us. We haven't been in situation like this before .
God watching over us
Glad most of you made it, enjoy

DiverB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@haknslash - What's going on with @Bill D, I see them faced northwest.
lol that must have been when stopped to either 1) retrieve one if my favorite hats
or......
2) get another beer from the cooler

Water Girl

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That crossing was ROUGH, I'm pretty sure my boat and body will need lots of therapy!!

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That crossing was ROUGH, I'm pretty sure my boat and body will need lots of therapy!!
I always tell my wife crossing is like labor pains. After you make it back stateside, give it a few weeks and you'll forget about the beating and start thinking about the next baby called Bimini 2018.

Last edited:

Majorsmackdown

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you speaking to me, I'm not being an armchair quarterback. Your statement about your fuel burn last year is exactly my point. All these boats can make it if the speed is consistently north of 20mph. I wasn't saying that everyone should have maintained that this year. I wasn't there this morning so who am I to say what to run. I was just making a fuel burn point regarding these boats. Just speaking from the last 3 years of experience and making an observation from what I've witnessed. No doubt weather can slow you down and that's completely understandable.
This was in reference to someone saying something about "what happened to the buddy system ??"

I took extra fuel for just in case, and didn't run out, but some guys going faster but with more heavily laden boats did run out.

I was basically saying the buddy system only goes so far when its that rough and fuel is running low.

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
From Jason Winn for those not on FB. He took the FSH across.

Bro, that crossing was crazy! It was supposed to take 3 hours but took us 7. One wave runner broke a drive shaft and was sank, one older guy is getting medi-vac'd back right now. One boat ran out of gas and they had to abandon it. Seas were forecast at 1-2 ft but were 4-6. We ran out of gas twice but had gas cans, made it back with no fuel. One guy had his tower break and hit him in the head and knock him unconscious. Another broke a windshield. One family transferred their 4 kids onto another boat in the middle. Then they couldn't make it and turned back to Florida, their 4 kids are here! All our drinks exploded from getting pounded so hard. One guy had his anchor pierce his hull from banging so hard. It was nothing like YouTube!

The damages were varied, all due to the crazy conditions. Old people had physical injuries. All the other issues were in my post. My boat died over 100 times during the crossing due to that damn kill switch for the clean out port. We used a full 30 gallon tank, all our 10 gallons of fuel we brought, and another 10 awesome people gave us. Literally saved our lives!

tim2808

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hell of some stories today!! Makes my WHOLE crew (who I updated throughout the day lol) appreciate how amazingly smooth our crossing in June of 2014 was. In an AR192! We would love to go back but I think July is jinxed. June is the way to go! Have a blast. You definitely earned it!!!

Last edited:

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We are at Bahia mar
Rough seas 6' or so
Wife gave up 15 min into the trip I disided to tough it out. Came trough 2 storms. Burned 75 gallons ranout of fuel, drifted 15 miles north, during that drift 6 footers ware pounding like no tomorrow kids crying and telling me that they never want to go to Bimini again, wife beyond sick. Thank God seatow was helpfool got towed in around 3pm. Now looking for alternative way to get to Bimini
I couldn't reach anyone over radio to let them know what happened sorry
HOPE ALL ARE SAFE
I have been busy at work since this morning so just caught up with the 15 pages of events that I missed. @Alex&Elena that must have been a truly horrific experience for your family I'm really sorry to hear it went this way for you and your family. Definitely a scary thought to not be able to raise anyone on the radio either. The airlines @veedubtek Tropic Air uses sea planes so the run way work will not effect their service if you are unable to get a hold of the other pilot. Below is a list of companies who offer charter service also I think Silver Airways and United offer scheduled flights. Not sure your family would be up for it again or if he would after the crossing today but @tim h is a licensed captain he might could be convinced for the right amount of cash to come back on his boat and get you early in the morning but not really sure on that at all.

https://flytropic.com/
http://www.islandaircharters.com/
http://flybahamasexpress.com/
http://www.watermakersair.com/

chris24

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
20170710_174933.jpg Mrs. Chris24, Beth, made it approximately 12 miles pounding waves on her jet ski averaging 12 to 15 mph. We had to circle back and found the jet ski under power, but with no propulsion..We found drive shaft sheared off.. seas to rough to tow, after a few tears, my wife released "Speedy" in the abyss of the Atlantic ocean..

Alex&Elena

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have been busy at work since this morning so just caught up with the 15 pages of events that I missed. @Alex&Elena that must have been a truly horrific experience for your family I'm really sorry to hear it went this way for you and your family. Definitely a scary thought to not be able to raise anyone on the radio either. The airlines @veedubtek Tropic Air uses sea planes so the run way work will not effect their service if you are unable to get a hold of the other pilot. Below is a list of companies who offer charter service also I think Silver Airways and United offer scheduled flights. Not sure your family would be up for it again or if he would after the crossing today but @tim h is a licensed captain he might could be convinced for the right amount of cash to come back on his boat and get you early in the morning but not really sure on that at all.

https://flytropic.com/
http://www.islandaircharters.com/
http://flybahamasexpress.com/
http://www.watermakersair.com/
Thank you very much

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
View attachment 59313 Mrs. Chris24, Beth, made it approximately 12 miles pounding waves on her jet ski averaging 12 to 15 mph. We had to circle back and found the jet ski under power, but with no propulsion..We found drive shaft sheared off.. seas to rough to tow, after a few tears, my wife released "Speedy" in the abyss of the Atlantic ocean..
First and foremost, glad everyone was safe.

Is that something Insurance will cover?

Majorsmackdown

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Unless it is a major rain storm, typically Florida/Bahamas small but powerful rain storms are very hard to predict were they are going to pop up.

Glad you made it safely and thankful nothing to serious happened. Now relax and have a great time. The waters around Bimini look nice.
Hi Andy !

We made it. It was a real adventure. That thunderstorm came on really quickly and poured super hard. Ironically I was enjoying it for a while. Tasted much better than eye burning salt splash. Then I realized I can't see squat and had to turn away from it for awhile - no doubt adding to fuel consumption.

It was a wild ride. I'm sore now and I know I'm not alone.