• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling July 9th to 14th 2018

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@ThatJeepGuy, there are many I would worry about but @Speedling will have his boat ready for the crossing.

Much of his income is from running a fireworks business that is very busy this time of year.

Beyond that it is just starting to warm up in his part of the country.

ThatJeepGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
lol!
Stop rubbing it in that I haven't had it out yet, I'm already pissed about it!
Oh I'm not trying to rub it in or sound like a dickhead. The last 5 Sunday's have been crap and my whole house is cranky because all we can do is look at the boat.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
While it's probably none of my business since I'm not going with this group, you have a responsibility to the rest of the group to make sure your boat is 100%.
With 5 weeks to go your vessel should be tested and complete. If not then you're a liability to everyone else. Thousands of dollars of other people's money are relying on you're boat being seaworthy.

Just my opinion....

Edit...
After reading this to my GF she says that I'M A DICK.....
I was of a similar opinion until asking more questions and actually going on a group trip where the leader had issues early off and told us to proceed and he would catch up at a certain point. I was thrust into the lead and we waited at that point as long as we could. After no contact via VHF and cell with repeated attempts including a high power squelch 3 times if you hear this broadcast (we were a good distance away at this point) we had no choice but to proceed. I DID have Garmin data telling me this person had tried to contiue but turned back and strong reason to believe this person was moving on one outboard engine out of two at a bit less than 20 mph. I also knew that this person is very experienced/capable and on a well traveled center channel of a lake. We had to make the call to continue (group consensus was had with the available data). It was not the call we wanted to make but shortly there after I got confirmation that we had made the right choice from that person who was obviously and rightly more worried with taking care of his situation than updating us.

The reality is that there is not a whole bunch we can do to help out another boat except perhaps give them something to sit in should the fit really hit the shan or bring fuel. Going with the group will be nice for the social aspect and having folks looking out for you. That said they have their own boats and crews to worry about in a nosiy and sometimes difficult environment.

After learning a bit more the things I am expecting from going with this group are..
-Socializing
-Gaining knowledge that I can in turn pass along
-My wife and kids having a sense of security going with a group
-Someone in my locale keeping a loose tab on me
-Good times
-Good memories
-New friends

All that said knowing your boat well and having tested anything new/changed sooner than later is something I also highly recommend. We are all human and capable of error.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Edit...
After reading this to my GF she says that I'M A DICK.....
Did she use all capital to indicate that you are a big dick OR she wanted to make stand out that you are a dick?

@ThatJeepGirl I must confess; i enjoyed quite a bit riding with dick on July 15 of 2017.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Speedling in my experience it takes a lot to rip those towers off of a fiberglass hull.
Mine failed last year - the failure was specific to the locking mechanism point - w/a bolt pulling out.
There was not a hint of failure of the mounts albeit those too get lose, also in other boats, apparently (not necessarily related to Bimini trip).

Yamaha (on top of crappy QC) has a AR tower locking mechanism that is flawed. Period. But even that can be made completely safe, as we have found.

If your tower survived Lake Michigan waters on even moderately rough day there you really should not have anything to worry about.

--

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
@Speedling in my experience it takes a lot to rip those towers off of a fiberglass hull.
Mine failed last year - the failure was specific to the locking mechanism point - w/a bolt pulling out.
There was not a hint of failure of the mounts albeit those too get lose, also in other boats, apparently (not necessarily related to Bimini trip).

Yamaha (on top of crappy QC) has a AR tower locking mechanism that is flawed. Period. But even that can be made completely safe, as we have found.

If your tower survived Lake Michigan waters on even moderately rough day there you really should not have anything to worry about.

--
Believe me, i read all that was posted on your tower. I was kinda bummed everyone started fixing cuz i was hoping for a cheap ar!
This tower has survived 4' waves so farfor 25 minute driving duration. I had to tighten a bolt once once stopped and that was it. Have since then gone through all bolts with threadlocker again and i replaced the manufacturers marine ply mount with something better.
I realize also that stuff happens beyond our control and throwing the tower to the ocean is a possibility.

Mgray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
Anyone interested in carrying 3 bags and a few gas cans on there boat in exchange for a couple of hundred bucks? If so let me know. It would be me and the 2 guys going over with me. Instead of carrying that mess on our skis over we would like to pay someone to carry our stuff on there boat for us. We will pay cash or maybe work something out to pay for your gas. Let me know if you want you can email me dkdinc@gmail.com thanks

Mgray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
@JamesParks, @Dallas, @Mgray are you with Raul?

@Mgray are you crossing with 3 on a ski?
Sorry for the response delay. We each have our own skis so it will be 3 jet skis with one rider on each. We are friends with Hector and would prefer to follow him if possible. However we are looking for someone who would like to make some money to carry our stuff over so we dont have to put on our skis. If you know anyone intereested please let me know. Thanks

Mgray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
@JamesParks, @Dallas, @Mgray @Mgray

do you guy have reservations at Bimini Sands, I am getting ready to cancel mine and I want to make sure that no one from our groups needs it.
We are making our reservations next week. We are actually staying at the Hilton. thanks anyways

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Anyone interested in carrying 3 bags and a few gas cans on there boat in exchange for a couple of hundred bucks? If so let me know. It would be me and the 2 guys going over with me. Instead of carrying that mess on our skis over we would like to pay someone to carry our stuff on there boat for us. We will pay cash or maybe work something out to pay for your gas. Let me know if you want you can email me dkdinc@gmail.com thanks
I can assist with the bags. (Not too keen on the gas cans though).

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Mgray best of luck with the stay.

For the record, I wanted to state that my wife gets employee discount with Hilton, yet we stay at Bimini Sands.

Hope it is smooth crossing this year

AbuAyd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
B0DA5E5A-0CB7-4C60-A211-D583B9F2F272.jpeg
I was of a similar opinion until asking more questions and actually going on a group trip where the leader had issues early off and told us to proceed and he would catch up at a certain point. I was thrust into the lead and we waited at that point as long as we could. After no contact via VHF and cell with repeated attempts including a high power squelch 3 times if you hear this broadcast (we were a good distance away at this point) we had no choice but to proceed. I DID have Garmin data telling me this person had tried to contiue but turned back and strong reason to believe this person was moving on one outboard engine out of two at a bit less than 20 mph. I also knew that this person is very experienced/capable and on a well traveled center channel of a lake. We had to make the call to continue (group consensus was had with the available data). It was not the call we wanted to make but shortly there after I got confirmation that we had made the right choice from that person who was obviously and rightly more worried with taking care of his situation than updating us.

The reality is that there is not a whole bunch we can do to help out another boat except perhaps give them something to sit in should the fit really hit the shan or bring fuel. Going with the group will be nice for the social aspect and having folks looking out for you. That said they have their own boats and crews to worry about in a nosiy and sometimes difficult environment.

After learning a bit more the things I am expecting from going with this group are..
-Socializing
-Gaining knowledge that I can in turn pass along
-My wife and kids having a sense of security going with a group
-Someone in my locale keeping a loose tab on me
-Good times
-Good memories
-New friends

All that said knowing your boat well and having tested anything new/changed sooner than later is something I also highly recommend. We are all human and capable of error.
I was told I should post this for bragging rights. As the newbie this year, I am certainly learning a lot. Hope all of you do this safety check with the coast guard. It took about 30 minute and I learned a ton. Hope I never use this knowledge this summer :)

Ryuc14911

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
View attachment 75573

I was told I should post this for bragging rights. As the newbie this year, I am certainly learning a lot. Hope all of you do this safety check with the coast guard. It took about 30 minute and I learned a ton. Hope I never use this knowledge this summer :)
Very good!
I know the chicago loop cruise they usually have someone there doing inspections.
Boating safe is more fun!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We are making our reservations next week. We are actually staying at the Hilton. thanks anyways
That will suck. But up to you.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
@ThatJeepGuy 1527817716397831507718.jpgfriends came over after thursday praise night at church and we got it up for you! Between thunderstorms even!
So thats all test and tune time until the 4th of july! Let's go boating!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Speedling do you have a bow cover ? or 6 inch scupper? Looks like your free-board is lower than mine and last year I had the Kaiten award