• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling July 9th to 14th 2018

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Lots of people have taken your hull across here some video of someone in your hull crossing.

Just for reference for an ocean rookie such as myself...what conditions and wave size in this video would this be considered? Is this rough, easy, average? Just trying to know what to anticipate.

tim h

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Video NEVER shows or at least gives you the real feel for wave conditions...

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@AndyD have you heard that expression that "ignorance is a blessing "!!!!

During the crossing last July I assumed that "all" crossings are supposed to be like that. Scary as shit, but I had nothing to compare it too. I used the naive puppy approach...
  • God created us all "equal"
  • My boat as seaworthy as the leaders boat
  • The leader has his/her kids on the boat
  • The leader is not trying to cash his/her kids life insurance
  • The leader goes; I go east
the only thing I am planing on doing differently next time is to follow the leader a bit further back. Being glued to the leader's wake has some disadvantages :banghead:

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just for reference for an ocean rookie such as myself...what conditions and wave size in this video would this be considered? Is this rough, easy, average? Just trying to know what to anticipate.
This is 2-3ft probably 5 second period. I would say this is close to average. With waves coming over the front of the boat we know it’s atleast as high or higher then the front freeboard. Bigest take from this video is notice when they take a wave over the bow they accelerate to get the nose back up and this helps get the water to run out the rear scupper and drain quickly. @tim h us correct video never does it justice it’s probably a lot more intense then the video really perceives.

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This is 2-3ft probably 5 second period. I would say this is close to average. With waves coming over the front of the boat we know it’s atleast as high or higher then the front freeboard. Bigest take from this video is notice when they take a wave over the bow they accelerate to get the nose back up and this helps get the water to run out the rear scupper and drain quickly. @tim h us correct video never does it justice it’s probably a lot more intense then the video really perceives.
It’s always hard to tell in videos. It looks more like 1 - 2 to me; even though there’s occasional water coming over the bow, the boat remains fairly stable and flat, indicating low wave height.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I actually think if the waves were spaced just a touch different that wouldn't be so bad.
I know what the forecast says is not always how it is percieved and vice versa.
4 foot rollers is far nicer than 2 foot chop!
Hard to know what the forecast really is saying until out there experiencing it.

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I like to use the
[interval / height > 2 and height < 3.5] formula.
2’ waves at 5 seconds = 2.5 = good
3’ waves at 10 seconds = 3.3 = good
2’ waves at 3 seconds = 1.5 = rough crossing
Waves over 3.5’ = no-go

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Fuel is going up anyways. Figured it would be over $3 by the time i left and sure enough here it comes!
Bimini is usually like $2 more or so?
Currently fuel at Bimini Sands is $5.35. Blue Water's pricing is typically within a few cents.

The increase in VAT and crude prices will cause change before our July trip. It might be $5 a gallon when we are there or it could be $6. During the five days I expect to buy perhaps 120 gallons during the five day trip.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Currently fuel at Bimini Sands is $5.35. Blue Water's pricing is typically within a few cents.

The increase in VAT and crude prices will cause change before our July trip. It might be $5 a gallon when we are there or it could be $6. During the five days I expect to buy perhaps 120 gallons during the five day trip.
I also think I recall it posted to bring cash for fuel ... right?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I also think I recall it posted to bring cash for fuel ... right?
I prefer cash to running in to pay with a card and possibly dealing with banks cutting off cards for foreign transactions.

Fuel docks are one of the few places that take cards in Bimini. I plan for all spending in Bimini to be cash.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It’s always hard to tell in videos. It looks more like 1 - 2 to me; even though there’s occasional water coming over the bow, the boat remains fairly stable and flat, indicating low wave height.
See this is a good example of how little can be told from video on wave heights. The last video I posted a week or so ago I said looked 4ft but @Berrie said that one appeared to be 6ft it is real tough to tell from video. Here is another perspective of the same video I posted earlier today.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking at the second video the period leaving Ft Lauderdale was probably tighter then 5 seconds and the seas were about 2 ft with the occasional 3ft and further into the trip the seas were closer to 2-3 ft with a little longer period.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I like to use the
[interval / height > 2 and height < 3.5] formula.
2’ waves at 5 seconds = 2.5 = good
3’ waves at 10 seconds = 3.3 = good
2’ waves at 3 seconds = 1.5 = rough crossing
Waves over 3.5’ = no-go
That's a cool little formula.
I wish lake michigan forecasts gave interval but they just do height and wind direction

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you enjoy cigars my friend Gaylord has a selection for $10 each. Gaylord is the Assistant Property Manager at Bimini Sands. He is a great guy and can help with almost anything, especially if you tip him with moonshine or whiskey.

EE6F928F-E6C2-4C4A-9D13-3BC226E50B53.jpeg F9D48322-E96C-4302-89E3-FAE3B94D162C.jpeg

Omar8thgen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I updated the registration info and compared it to condo bookings this morning.

I found a few discrepancies that hopefully you can help me correct.

@blacksapphirez, @Pantelis, @JerseyYami, @Lowstar I did not find condo reservations for your units.

There are condos reserved under the names of;
  1. MATTHEW APPLEBAUM
  2. MARCUS THOMPSON
  3. XIOMARA MAYSONET
  4. MICHAEL HENSCHEL
  5. PATRICIA MERSHON
  6. JOHN WADDELL
that I do not have sufficient information to associate with registrations.

If you know these people please let me know which registration they are associated with.

If you have not registered please do so at https://jetboaters.net/forms/bimini-2018-registration-july-9th-to-14th.6/respond

@Xiomara Maysonet, I suspect some of these are your friends.

I also updated the first post to reflect all registrations. Currently we are up to 25 vessels for the crossing.
I updated the registration info and compared it to condo bookings this morning.

I found a few discrepancies that hopefully you can help me correct.

@blacksapphirez, @Pantelis, @JerseyYami, @Lowstar I did not find condo reservations for your units.

There are condos reserved under the names of;
  1. MATTHEW APPLEBAUM
  2. MARCUS THOMPSON
  3. XIOMARA MAYSONET
  4. MICHAEL HENSCHEL
  5. PATRICIA MERSHON
  6. JOHN WADDELL
that I do not have sufficient information to associate with registrations.

If you know these people please let me know which registration they are associated with.

If you have not registered please do so at https://jetboaters.net/forms/bimini-2018-registration-july-9th-to-14th.6/respond

@Xiomara Maysonet, I suspect some of these are your friends.

I also updated the first post to reflect all registrations. Currently we are up to 25 vessels for the crossing.
@Bruce Xiomara Maysonet come with me in my boat.I am the captain of Daddy's Dollar.She make the reservation for the Bimini Sand.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
FC3A0F11-9DF3-492A-87A6-3B8D54D340E7.jpeg

Gentlemen, I have a problem. This has never happened before. We may need to accelerate the July departure!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
17 of us with no previous trips. This is gonna be fun!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
17 of us with no previous trips. This is gonna be fun!
Actually we have more experienced boats than many previous years.

We will be fine......

As long as I find more rum before the crossing......

And @Betik makes the correct sacrifice......