• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling July 9th to 14th 2018

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

Water Girl

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
JerseyYami has registered to captain PropLess with a crew of 3 adults and 3 children. They hail from the home port of Atlantic City, New Jersey.

The crew is described as:

You can register for the event using the form at
https://jetboaters.net/forms/bimini-2018-registration-june-25th-to-30th.8/respond for June 25th to 30th
or
https://jetboaters.net/forms/bimini-2018-registration-july-9th-to-14th.6/respond for July 9th to 14th
Greetings! Towing out of Philly!

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I suck at fishing and am hoping that I can get a few pointers in Bimini this year. I would even love to try and catch Tuna as well as small stuff if that is possible. That said I have no idea what kind of rod/reel setup I will need for ocean fishing. Currently I have many open face lake bass setups but my guess is that those are insufficient for ocean fishing. Hoping someone can give me some info on what to get to outfit three people keeping in mind I don't want junk but also don't need top of the line. I know it is still early but I am that kind of guy that jumps on things when I see them and take the time to do the needed reading so I have half an idea of what I am doing.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I suck at fishing and am hoping that I can get a few pointers in Bimini this year. I would even love to try and catch Tuna as well as small stuff if that is possible. That said I have no idea what kind of rod/reel setup I will need for ocean fishing. Currently I have many open face lake bass setups but my guess is that those are insufficient for ocean fishing. Hoping someone can give me some info on what to get to outfit three people keeping in mind I don't want junk but also don't need top of the line. I know it is still early but I am that kind of guy that jumps on things when I see them and take the time to do the needed reading so I have half an idea of what I am doing.
During the summer, fishing for decent size fish in Bimini is kind hit or miss, that is why all the big fishing tournaments are in the fall and winter as the fish are migrate back south to warmer waters. However, reef fishing is always good. For reef fishing you can use medium weight spinning rod/reel with 20# line, just make sure you buy saltwater gears. Frozen squid, which you can get at the Bimini Sands store, is good bait once thawed out. Also, thawed squid is a favorite food for the stingrays at Honeymoon Harbor.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Mainah, Finding that tuna is going to take time and effort. Most of the bigger fish are caught after time spent trolling.

I like to catch reef fish. For example yellowtail snapper are easy to catch and great eating.

Penn makes some good combos that are not redicilosly priced. I keep two penn spinning reels with 25 pound line and two old penn conventional reels with 80 pound line on the boat. Most of the time we only use the spinning reels.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure what the regs are over there but here in the gulf you need to use circle hooks when reef fishing.

D3nN1s

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Got booted from Condo 4b, apparently the previous owner sold that unit and the new owner is not renting it anymore? New room is going to be 1b

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Got booted from Condo 4b, apparently the previous owner sold that unit and the new owner is not renting it anymore? New room is going to be 1b
Both are on the water, no big deal.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

James R Whitten

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I'm wanting to go lobster spear fishing. Looking at picking up a Hawaiian sling spear.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm wanting to go lobster spear fishing. Looking at picking up a Hawaiian sling spear.
If you do happen to spear a lobster accidentally just don't pull it out of the water and start screaming as loud as you can while all the locals watch it may cost you a few hot dogs isn't that correct @Ramblin Wreck

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As others said, the season is closed. I would not buy a spear just for lobsters. They are widely available at all of the eating establishments. Some inexpensivly and boats may come by selling summer bugs that taste like lobster.

newbote

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
As everyone mentioned reef fishing/bottom fishing is the best way to catch fish - trolling is a lot more involved not to mention difficult to catch any fish. If you want a versatile real that is not too heavy I would pick up a few 4000 size reels - penn fierce, shimono Sedona, or even the cabela salt striker if you want to go slightly cheaper is a decent reel for the money. I would not buy anything else cheaper then these. Like everyone else mentioned just use some squid or even put out some chum and you will catch fish.

Also - the dolphin run the Gulf Stream in the summer. I will have a similar sized spinning reel rigged with a flutter style jig on the trip over and back. If you see birds diving or a weed line there may be dolphin hanging around. It would take a bit of luck to find one but they are around that time of year.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for all of the replies. The knowledge sharing here is great. Guess I will have to book a sport fishing charter later in life to catch the big tuna. I have ordered some circle hooks for my tackle boxes. I am considering a 10ft collapsible rod and reel combo I found on Amazon. I get that the quality may not be great but I love that it will stow easily and I can just keep it on the boat full time. I don't fish a lot so I am wondering if this will suffice for reef fishing while in Bimini. I know that I will also need to purchase good line.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074W11HWP/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2521BXJ9OS5DX&colid=3TVH4ZJW91LWP&psc=1

Thoughts?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for all of the replies. The knowledge sharing here is great. Guess I will have to book a sport fishing charter later in life to catch the big tuna. I have ordered some circle hooks for my tackle boxes. I am considering a 10ft collapsible rod and reel combo I found on Amazon. I get that the quality may not be great but I love that it will stow easily and I can just keep it on the boat full time. I don't fish a lot so I am wondering if this will suffice for reef fishing while in Bimini. I know that I will also need to purchase good line.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074W11HWP/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2521BXJ9OS5DX&colid=3TVH4ZJW91LWP&psc=1

Thoughts?
For occasional saltwater fishing, it seems like a nice setup.

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Shit! I'm in 4b for the June trip. Guess I need to call and update.... surprised they haven't reached out yet :confused:

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Shit! I'm in 4b for the June trip. Guess I need to call and update.... surprised they haven't reached out yet :confused:
Just called and we got bumped to 1B too.