• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling July 9th to 14th 2018

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Is anyone planning to start their tow before Wednesday?
@Bruce, I will be heading south tomorrow afternoon with my truck. The boat is currently in JAX, where I will pick her up on Friday. We should be splashing her at Harbour Towne sometime Saturday afternoon, just in time for the Sunday crossing... in case we change... :winkingthumbsup"

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce, I will be heading south tomorrow afternoon with my truck. The boat is currently in JAX, where I will pick her up on Friday. We should be splashing her at Harbour Towne sometime Saturday afternoon, just in time for the Sunday crossing... in case we change... :winkingthumbsup"
what truck do you pull it with?

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
what truck do you pull it with?
@bronze_10 Unfortunately with an F-250 gasser. I really wanted the diesel, but the 2011 - 2012 (which was all that would fit in my budget) have serious turbo problems which I did not want. So I got the gasser. And the gasser does fine in south GA and FL, where the highest mountains are highway overpasses.
Now that my employer was kind enough to move me 1,000 miles away from the nearest coast :(:eek::bawling::banghead::wtf:, I have to tow halfway across the country, and the gasser has to work it's tail off.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@bronze_10 Unfortunately with an F-250 gasser. I really wanted the diesel, but the 2011 - 2012 (which was all that would fit in my budget) have serious turbo problems which I did not want. So I got the gasser. And the gasser does fine in south GA and FL, where the highest mountains are highway overpasses.
Now that my employer was kind enough to move me 1,000 miles away from the nearest coast :(:eek::bawling::banghead::wtf:, I have to tow halfway across the country, and the gasser has to work it's tail off.
yes those ceramic bearings in the first few years of the 6.7 proved to be a terrible idea. I feel your pain..! I tell you what! just to help out your truck and fuel prices you can park your boat at my house and leave it for a while. The fact that my boat has a jacked up engine has absolutely nothing to do with it.... just like i have a f250 diesel that could pull it say... to the local lake and back doesnt factor into it at all either!! :D

Water Girl

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Don’t forget to respond in the potluck thread if you want to participate! So far only have 8 or 9 confirmed

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
yes those ceramic bearings in the first few years of the 6.7 proved to be a terrible idea. I feel your pain..! I tell you what! just to help out your truck and fuel prices you can park your boat at my house and leave it for a while. The fact that my boat has a jacked up engine has absolutely nothing to do with it.... just like i have a f250 diesel that could pull it say... to the local lake and back doesnt factor into it at all either!! :D
I would but I see how you treat your engines.... LOL

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is not that I am anxious and I cannot sleep, but I just randomly checked windy. I see why there is chatter about back up plans .
Y’all are not praying hard enough people.

Attachments

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is not that I am anxious and I cannot sleep, but I just randomly checked windy. I see why there is chatter about back up plans .
Y’all are not praying hard enough people.
It is not Monday’s two footers but the even bigger water forecast for Tuesday to Thursday in Bimini that bothers me.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
It is not Monday’s two footers but the even bigger water forecast for Tuesday to Thursday in Bimini that bothers me.
2 footers aren't unbearable by any means but can easily grow to a 3 and a 3 for 2.5 hours would not be cool. Very much moreso since we would it be heading straight into the wind and waves and not having them in our tail.
I'm blaming the fact that we're even having this discussion on the June group

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2 footers aren't unbearable by any means but can easily grow to a 3 and a 3 for 2.5 hours would not be cool. Very much moreso since we would it be heading straight into the wind and waves and not having them in our tail.
I'm blaming the fact that we're even having this discussion on the June group
We used up all the good weather I agree. That Monday forecast does suck with those winds it will be a bumpy crossing I really hope that stuff shifts for you guys. Everyone I talked to in Bimini in the June group that went out on Monday all had no regrets about moving the crossing up one day as it was a little rough around Bimini on Monday and the forecast wasn't really even that bad. I agree with @Bruce what really kind of stinks are the next two days that you are in Bimini if that forecast holds it will not make for ideal water conditions around Bimini to enjoy.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We used up all the good weather I agree. That Monday forecast does suck with those winds it will be a bumpy crossing I really hope that stuff shifts for you guys. Everyone I talked to in Bimini in the June group that went out on Monday all had no regrets about moving the crossing up one day as it was a little rough around Bimini on Monday and the forecast wasn't really even that bad. I agree with @Bruce what really kind of stinks are the next two days that you are in Bimini if that forecast holds it will not make for ideal water conditions around Bimini to enjoy.
Robert, the forecast for Bimini is in the 2’ range from Monday to Thursday. Friday has not been forecast yet.

Would you want to be in Bimini, with the current condition of Bimini Sands, in those conditions?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Robert, the forecast for Bimini is in the 2’ range from Monday to Thursday. Friday has not been forecast yet.

Would you want to be in Bimini, with the current condition of Bimini Sands, in those conditions?
Nope not at all my good sir I do agree. Those conditions will make it rough to get around over there. Most people I talked to on Monday of the June trip when we had 2ft conditions around Bimini ventured out for a few minutes but most wound up coming back in or venturing over to North Bimini.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Nope not at all my good sir I do agree. Those conditions will make it rough to get around over there. Most people I talked to on Monday of the June trip when we had 2ft conditions around Bimini ventured out for a few minutes but most wound up coming back in or venturing over to North Bimini.
Y'all are making me sad

newbote

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Y'all are making me sad
What is the refund policy from the Sands? Is it like before where they refund what we just paid and then the apply the deposit to a future stay?

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What's been interesting to me is that you might find rough water near the Sapona but much calmer waters up north Bimini or on the backside of the island. I would certainly have no issues anchoring and hanging out at the beach up near resort world. IMO it was the best beach on the island. The winds may be up but I don't think the waves getting to Honeymoon would be too big for any of you guys to not make it through. I see choppy water in Bimini, but it's been like that the majority of time I've ever been there. Somebody has to pay the initiation all the first timers missed out on with the June crossing. With the current sailflow forecast for Miami nearshore or Bimini, there is nothing that would stop me from going. If it holds, I might look to cross on Sunday though.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
What's been interesting to me is that you might find rough water near the Sapona but much calmer waters up north Bimini or on the backside of the island. I would certainly have no issues anchoring and hanging out at the beach up near resort world. IMO it was the best beach on the island. The winds may be up but I don't think the waves getting to Honeymoon would be too big for any of you guys to not make it through. I see choppy water in Bimini, but it's been like that the majority of time I've ever been there. Somebody has to pay the initiation all the first timers missed out on with the June crossing. With the current sailflow forecast for Miami nearshore or Bimini, there is nothing that would stop me from going. If it holds, I might look to cross on Sunday though.
Screenshot_20180703-095716.png

I don't know how it works there with the current but on lake michigan if you have 10 mph wind you do not have 1 foot waves unless you are near the shore with wind going away from you.
If this forecast is true then extremely early is the key.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Bimini similar.
Just ahowing for the curious.
Screenshot_20180703-100452.png
I think sunday would be the day to cross.
If my boat hardly leaves the marina, that will be a bummer but look where i would be at!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Note: this is why we talk about it so much... it changes in minutes!

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
View attachment 78064

I don't know how it works there with the current but on lake michigan if you have 10 mph wind you do not have 1 foot waves unless you are near the shore with wind going away from you.
If this forecast is true then extremely early is the key.
I'm far from an expert, but what I noticed this past trip is that it takes a minute for the waves to grow. If the winds are light over night, and start to pick up as you all cross for example you should be fine. We left Bimini on the return and thought for sure the conditions would going to be a bit chopper due to a nice breeze at the marina, but to my surprise the conditions were excellent and sailflow was pretty much dead on. We had low winds the previous night. It's when they're sustained for hours at a time then the waves catch up. What we had in June is incredibly rare IMO and I don't expect to ever see those conditions again. I've never crossed the stream up to this point in sub 1 ft seas and you really shouldn't expect to see that. The typical stream to me has been a washing machine of 1 to maybe 3ft seas mixed in. Rough going much more pleasant coming back.

Ya'll will have a great time.