• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling June 19 to 25 2016

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Jr15g, The power is back on.

@bronze_10, I suggest watching Bimini trip videos with your family. They will come aboard. Bimini is changing. Resorts World has cancelled their monstrosity of a ferry but destroyed several reefs to build a pier for it.

Now MSC cruises is converting an island just south of Honeymoon Harbor into a $200M cruise ship destination. I assume they will have boat rentals, dive trips, fishing trips, parasailing, etc from the island. These are likely to fill Honeymoon Harbor with people and overfish the reefs around Cat Cay. Dredging for the cruise ship peer(s) may destroy even more reefs.

So I suggest enjoying to Bimini as soon as you can because it may be much less enjoyable in the future.

Jr15g

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
@Bruce Thanks! I'm on the phone right now:)

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
i sooo want to do this trip but a few things will put it out of reach this year. 1st we are taking the kids to disney in March. i would rather go to bimini but this will be the one time we take them.... never again. Next, we have had our boat for one year... our first boat.. not sure i am ready for blue water yet.... However I am thinking of putting a bug in my family's ear for 2017. The god parents are going to disney with us so maybe next year me and the godfather can take the boat over while the wives and the kids fly........ i gotta start scheming. but for those of you who have been married for any length of time know when u suggest things outside of the norm you have to gradually build up to the full message. everyone would love being there with the boat.... it's the crossing that looses my wife!!! plus i am about top spring for a new trailer this year... so that kinda absorbs any extra funds..

See I always took a different approach by asking for to much and making the women feel like it her idea to settle back in the middle. So in this case I would tell the wife lets go to the Exumas and when she throws up all over that idea you then say your right baby we should just try Bimini first to see if its a good idea and the key is to be nodding your head yes as you say it and then watch her head start to nod yes as well and your in.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@robert843 I agree.. the ultimate key is to do it so it sounds like their idea..... but all that just flew out the window.. i sent her a text at work and spilled the entire plan all at once...... did i mention i reallllllly want to go?!?!?! but 2017 is the earliest. @Bruce I really hate to hear that...... that just sets my resolve. I need to learn a lot of stuff this year... and I need to focus on the important mods like the scupper and navigation stuff instead of audio and leds!! She has already said we can start making plans!!! maybe because i wore her out with the idea last year.... she prob doesnt want to go through that again this year

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
See I always took a different approach by asking for to much and making the women feel like it her idea to settle back in the middle. So in this case I would tell the wife lets go to the Exumas and when she throws up all over that idea you then say your right baby we should just try Bimini first to see if its a good idea and the key is to be nodding your head yes as you say it and then watch her head start to nod yes as well and your in.
Or... do the trip without your wife! :winkingthumbsup" I did this last year because my wife wasn't interested. It was just my two sons and I... best vacation ever. This year my wife and father-in-law are coming. I guess I'll have to plan to go to the Exumas next year in order to discourage her from coming. ;) Although I truly love my wife, it's amazing how uncomplicated a vacation can be without her.

Jr15g

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I received my confirmation emails with Condo # and slip. :) Now to other things like clearing the snow out of my driveway.

Valerie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
So I got a lesson in banking today
I saw that my charge was slightly higher then what was on my confirmation emails so I called the sands and it was explained that my bank, Good ole Chase charges a conversion fee for me to use my debit card over in Bimini (even though I work at Chase)
Good to know gotta bring cash!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I got a lesson in banking today
I saw that my charge was slightly higher then what was on my confirmation emails so I called the sands and it was explained that my bank, Good ole Chase charges a conversion fee for me to use my debit card over in Bimini (even though I work at Chase)
Good to know gotta bring cash!
Yes even though the exchange rate is 1 to 1 most card companies charge an foreign transaction fee for using your card out side of the country. Some of the higher end travel based credit cards will wave this fee my AMEX does but almost no one in the Bahamas takes Amex it seems.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm in 2A. Almost double the cost of what I paid last year! Bigger group = bigger condo = more money

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm in 2A. Almost double the cost of what I paid last year! Bigger group = bigger condo = more money
Looking at the positive, you are spending less per person!

ACrews

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Are they assigning room #'s?

Happened to speak with Capital One yesterday on an address issue & while I had a person on phone I decided to ask about conversion charge & the issue of having them shut down card due to the fraud protection. Apparently Capital One does NOT charge for conversion & they stated that all a person has to do is notify customer service of their travel dates a few days before departure & they should have no problems with card not working.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are they assigning room #'s?

Happened to speak with Capital One yesterday on an address issue & while I had a person on phone I decided to ask about conversion charge & the issue of having them shut down card due to the fraud protection. Apparently Capital One does NOT charge for conversion & they stated that all a person has to do is notify customer service of their travel dates a few days before departure & they should have no problems with card not working.
Your condo number should be in your confirmation.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Standard Horizon is offering rebates on their radios. It is $20 on several handhelds and $40 on my favorite GX1700.

Many dealers are offering a pair of HX100 handhelds for around $85 shipped. After rebate that is $65 for two handhelds. These are floating radios with a 2.5 watt (low power) output. I would not take one as my only radio but they are a good deal for communicating around Bimini Sands. These radios have some negative reviews for being DOA or rapid battery failure so I would take them out on the lake and test them long before going to Bimini. They also receive weather channels. I am ordering a set to add to our existing Uniden handhelds and will have a radio for each person on my boat.

HX100 Floating (thumbnail image).jpg HX100_thumb.jpg

The GX1700 is a full featured fixed mount radio with built in GPS and the ability to press a single button and send a DSC distress call. It also will route you to another boat sending a distress call and can track where your friends with radios with DSC capability are located. We have used one for the last two years and are very happy with it. It can be purchased for around $200 including shipping. If you do not want a VHF radio permanently installed in your boat you might consider using the 12 volt accessory outlet as a power supply and attaching your antenna with a clamp on mount.

GX1700_thumb.jpg