• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling June 19 to 25 2016

Let's build our own story here... OK so according to Bruce, he is on the rocks at the Bimini entrance. His craft has sunk and now the Bimini Navy has come to his rescue. We see movement now towards the docks. He has been rescued. All is good.

the Bimini Navy has come to his rescue

This made me laugh. Remember how small Bimini is?

He posted a message "Heading to The Big Game Club". Must be time for that beer or some rum!

I ride back is guaranteed better....right??? lol

I ride back is guaranteed better....right??? lol

Conditions look a little better for the return on Friday but I guess we will see how it goes then. Usually a little easier going with the waves so hopefully a much faster ride 5 hours is a long day of taking a beating out there anyone who went last can attest to that.

I intercepted the Bimini Navy radio calls..........

"watercraft in trouble.....watercraft in trouble......all available units deploy immediately."

10 minutes later a crackle was heard over the naval air waves....... "yeah man......its no problem man......tell him to swim ashore. We have rum!"

Looked over at it again. They made it into The Sands finally. He posted a noted saying " 4 ft waves and 5.5 hours. Rough. " Glad they made it safe.

So in those conditions how would a 240 or 255 fair? Still rough obviously but managable?

I agree with above statement. Those boats can handle those conditions just fine but it's usually captain and crew that can not. Even in the group of skis that went across this morning I promise there was one of two of them who were probably frustrated with the slower pace because they could handle more then some others in the group. Even in the conditions they were in today I think I could have done the trip in three hours but you are only as fast as your slowest member is willing to go.

That is about what we had last year. Period was maybe closer for him today at 3 seconds but don't know.

Just trying to compare to what i have on Lake Michigan. If i see 2 footers it usually means to head home cuz it's gonna get serious fast!

That is about what we had last year. Period was maybe closer for him today at 3 seconds but don't know.

It looked like the period had calm down to 4 seconds for them as well most of there trip it was probably a little choppier for them in the beginning. I would be willing to bet it was very close to what we had last year.

Today's forecast was worse than what was forecast for last years rough crossing. It is very likely that they experienced rougher water than we did.

Today was a day for pounding waves. It was a day that with a choice most would choose to cross on another day.

I am hopeful that we will have better water for our crossing this June. If the water is too rough to cross on plane we will not go out. If a boat finds that they are unwilling to pound waves to cross to Bimini at planing speeds they will be asked to turn back. Please have your boat, your crew and yourself prepared to pound waves for 3 + hours if we are not blessed with calm seas.

During last year's crossing, never had a feel for how I was going to land when coming over the big waves. Too many times, I couldn't see what was on the other side. Sometimes it was a smooth landing. Sometimes it seemed like the whole boat just dropped straight down by about 5 or 6 feet. BAM! Sometimes we landed on the next wave. My biggest fear was diving into the next wave. I got the impression that this may have happened to the boats that were swamped.
I don't mind banging, and with my newly installed bow cover, I no longer worry about diving into a wave. I expect that the sudden deceleration will hurt, but the bulk of the water should deflect away and not swamp the boat. That's my theory anyway.

My understanding is that the two boats that were swamped were either slowing or backing up. Both cause your bow to drop. The waves near Port Everglades were large enough that it was important to maintain forward momentum keeping the bow up.

Whether you have a bow cover or not water that makes it into the boat should run out through the scupper as long as you keep moving and keep the bow up.

We experienced the impact of waves breaking under our boat many times. This is pounding waves. It is unpleasant but sometimes necessary.

I was in the gulf steam free diving yesterday for 4 hours outside of Pompano Beach and it was flat and beautiful, if only they could of crossed yesterday!

Uh oh --- he has turned around and headed SW???

Just to add to the story here is what happened at the turn around. It would appear they didn't find it. Luckily he is on a Kawasaki Ultra and it is still covered with out the seat but there are two air vents there but it could be worse.

"My rear seat decided to come off, didn't notice until about a mile afterwards...so needless to say, I'm rolling without a rear seat! GPS failed as well, so it was a rough day for me. But, we're in the Bahamas so, who cares!"

Back