• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling June 19 to 25 2016

My understanding is that the two boats that were swamped were either slowing or backing up. Both cause your bow to drop. The waves near Port Everglades were large enough that it was important to maintain forward momentum keeping the bow up.

Whether you have a bow cover or not water that makes it into the boat should run out through the scupper as long as you keep moving and keep the bow up.

We experienced the impact of waves breaking under our boat many times. This is pounding waves. It is unpleasant but sometimes necessary.
I thought that someone had to get medical attention (collar bone or shoulder?) and I assumed that it was the result of a sudden stop. @Tony Sweasy, did you see anybody nose into a wave? I thought that you were pretty close to the action.

I thought that someone had to get medical attention (collar bone or shoulder?) and I assumed that it was the result of a sudden stop. @Tony Sweasy, did you see anybody nose into a wave? I thought that you were pretty close to the action.

The gentleman with the hurt shoulder was injured after he jumped off the swamped but floating boat. The boat was bobbing in the water and the swim deck came down on his shoulder. That crew would have been much safer staying in the boat.

It also doesn't help that your driving/riding in a sitting position. Center console, standing, observing wave direction, height and speed is very helpful.

I stood for most of the 2014 and 2015 crossings with the bolster in the up position. From my perspective it helps with visibility and softens the impact.

I'm pretty sure the boat you are mentioning did nose into a wave but he was coming over the top of one and decided to pull back on the

The boat in question did take a wave over the bow and then a second after the first. There were a lot of factors that went into this but I do believe when the first wave came over it was a result of coming over the top of a wave and throttling down going down the backside of it in a attempt to slow down thus driving the nose of his boat into the oncoming wave. I know it was mentioned a couple of posts back that this is the proper offshore technique and yes in most I/O and outboards this is what you are supposed to do and in our boats if done correctly it will work as well but you are also flirting with danger doing this in our boats as if you throttle down to quickly you will surly be nose diving into the wave in front of you. If you throttle down slowly it will pull you off plane and raise the nose but this must be done very slowly.

@robert843, I understand that boat was stopping to move passengers from the bow to the cockpit area. I am sure that the impact of the waves on the overloaded boat with the bow dropping in some of the worst water we experienced was terrible for everyone onboard.

Our bows do drop when decelerating. I believe that what @ClemsonTiger is describing is throttling back to avoid accelerating down the back of the wave and stuffing the bow into the next wave. I have found this to be particularly useful for large waves with wide spacing.

@ClemsonTiger, I believe the physics of what happened to the swamped boats was very similar to what freshwater boaters call a sub move. Their bows were down due to too rapid deceleration which resulted in stuffing the bow.

You can see a tame example in this video where @waterboy slows down after hearing the radio call informing us of the swamping, takes some spray over the bow then keeps moving to keep the water under the boat. He handles this well. Decelerating more quickly or not getting back on the throttle could have turned this into a bad situation.

Just to add to the story here is what happened at the turn around. It would appear they didn't find it. Luckily he is on a Kawasaki Ultra and it is still covered with out the seat but there are two air vents there but it could be worse.

"My rear seat decided to come off, didn't notice until about a mile afterwards...so needless to say, I'm rolling without a rear seat! GPS failed as well, so it was a rough day for me. But, we're in the Bahamas so, who cares!"

Wow, this is something I don't think I've considered as being a potential issue. I would be interested to know if the hinge failed or was the seat not properly secured. Either way that's a bummer. 5+ hour crossing and then losing several hundred dollars in equipment just stinks. This is going to be a sore and beat up group tomorrow morning! However, when they reflect back months from now they'll start thinking about doing it again. Bimini is a like a gateway drug to further pain. It's been very addicting for me and I've only made the crossing once.

That day the wind was blowing in our face and we were taking the waves head on.

@ClemsonTiger You are correct, we were taking them head on. When that happened, and we lost the 2 boats, we were essentially still in the Port Everglades inlet heading out. Bruce is correct in that I got off the gas as I heard the call for help and took a bit of water over the bow, sped back up to quickly clear the decks (it was only maybe 5 gallons of water so not bad). We were able to sit idle beam to without taking water, although not the most comfortable position either. Just FYI also, by the time we came around and realized what was happening, there were already several boats helping out.

I crossed last year with the 21 skis and 2 boats It took 5+ hours I think it could have been done in less time if everyone had been on the same page about refueling at the same time. And the comment about only being able to go as fast as the slowest is the truth I can't speak for any type of boat but I can say for the skis, I would never ride 2 up and my ski is streamlined, no rack to beat the hell out of my ski and my gas jugs will be secured so tight that it will be hard to release them If it won't fit inside my ski I don't need it I was lucky enough to stay behind one of the boats in the calmest part of the wake, I asked if it was ok first of course as my ski is more of a river rider vs ocean but I never needed to refuel even getting blown off course waiting for others who stopped every 20 minutes to refuel
And it only took about 2 1/2 hours to get back.....

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 24
ok....when do we leave???

SharkRepellant.jpg

I crossed last year with the 21 skis and 2 boats It took 5+ hours I think it could have been done in less time if everyone had been on the same page about refueling at the same time. And the comment about only being able to go as fast as the slowest is the truth I can't speak for any type of boat but I can say for the skis, I would never ride 2 up and my ski is streamlined, no rack to beat the hell out of my ski and my gas jugs will be secured so tight that it will be hard to release them If it won't fit inside my ski I don't need it I was lucky enough to stay behind one of the boats in the calmest part of the wake, I asked if it was ok first of course as my ski is more of a river rider vs ocean but I never needed to refuel even getting blown off course waiting for others who stopped every 20 minutes to refuel
And it only took about 2 1/2 hours to get back.....

@Valerie what gas can did you bring last year? How did you attach it? Did you have to refuel and if so, did you have to go swimming to unhook the can(s). Last year I had one 5 gallon can and it was extremely secure and luckily I didn't have to unhook it as there is no way I could have done it without jumping in. Did a lot of riders have racks that moved around and banged up there skis?

Last edited:
are we doing a BBQ get together like pervious years haven't seen anything on it. OR did i just miss it

@Valerie what gas can did you bring last year? How did you attach it? Did you have to refuel and if so, did you have to go swimming to unhook the can(s). Last year I had one 5 gallon can and it was extremely secure and luckily I didn't have to unhook it as there is no way I could have done it without jumping in. Did a lot of riders have racks that moved around and banged up there skis?

@Andy S and I did have to refuel on our skis at sea. We did not have to get wet to get the cans off and had no issues with them coming off or even moving in those conditions I will try and get you a pic of how I had the cans mounted. I just used two ratchet straps though nothing overly crazy simple and efficient.

are we doing a BBQ get together like pervious years haven't seen anything on it. OR did i just miss it

Yes, the agenda is in the first post of this thread.

What gas do they sell in Bimini, just curious. Octane rating, ethanol? Doesn't sound like anyone ever had any issues, so I'm assuming its good.

Hah, that Florida thing, Rec90. Here in the Midwest ethanol free is the thing of the past, although there are lake marinas that still manage to carry EtOH-free 93.

When in Bimini, I plan to run with the JB pack as to avoid any such surprises.

Back