• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Just bought Yamaha Jet Boat

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You got a hell of a deal... Congrats and enjoy.... The seller has a good feedback and has sold a jet ski for as much as 5300.00 dollars. I think you are in the clear with the boat not being a scam. Congrats again!

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks guys for the caution and words of wisdom. I talked to the owner for few minutes on the phone and he seems to be very nice and trust worthy person and offered to help with shipping any way he can. He apparently has two boats, one for Sea and this for fresh water. Reason he said he was selling is because they enjoy going out fishing to the sea more and have not used the fresh water boat. I'd like to think I'm usually cautious person and I do feel good with the seller's honesty and integrity. He told me to make me feel more safe and comfortable with the transaction he would accept paypal for the whole amount even though it means he would be getting less on the sale. He said his trailer hasn't been used much because storage is only 5 miles from the lake he goes to and based on the picture it looks to be true.

Below is the link to the ebay auction if anyone wants to see more pictures and point out any thing that may not make sense with the story.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251998253062?forcerRptr=true&item=251998253062&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:AAQ:MOTORS:1123

On another note my first uShip bid came in at $3000 for "Tow-Away service"! Wow! I'm thinking for that I may just drive out there my self and stop by Yellowstone on the way with the kids! I'm hoping shipping fee goes much lower...

@txav8r - How do you do a title search? What information do I need from the seller and where do I do the search?

Thank you all.
@dansshin why not take a drive and get it yourself! I bought a used boat, sight unseen, with some local Intel from @OCMD... I drove it back ~600 miles and didn't have any issues.

Suggest you get the location locked into the site, leverage a local member to check it out and go from there. OR go with your cashiers check and fork it over once you have title in hand, water test, etc.

Take a buddy, wife, whatever and take a great road trip and make some memories!

Good luck, welcome to the forum and keep us posted!!

Mark

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would ask for pictures of the titles for both the trailer and the boat to show there are no liens recorded. Additionally, have a local member pop out there and take a look for you. I am sure we can hook you up with someone local to do so. They can compare titles and the HIN on the boat, along with the VIN on the trailer to ensure everything is on the up and up.

I would also require a bill of sale, witnessed by another individual, accompanied by a photocopy of both the witness and sellers drivers license, that indicates that they certify there is no lien recorded and they are selling you the boat free and clear.

That said, even if they agree to be paid via paypal. . . . . . the funds can be transferred out of their linked account, and you will have no recourse other than the buyer protection. I can tell you from experience, paypal will find any number of loopholes to NOT cover you should the worst come to pass.

Caveat Emptor

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If the seller has clear title, and it can be verified, it may not be necessary. But buying from out of town without actually being there, I don't know about that. Normally, a state issues a title and only releases the lien on said title when the asset is paid in full. That clear title is a state provided document. You want a bill of sale and a "real" title on the boat and the trailer (2 documents). MN will require them to reissue title in MN. If your talking to the seller, what will your lender want...if you have a lender? Without it, I might consider having a vehicle title search company check the boat and trailer VIN to be sure it is paid for and owned by the seller. You will also need his tax receipts more than likely. And, you will have to apply for the Yamaha YES warranty if it has it. But there are documents he needs to check with them on, and provide to you. Get ALL MANUALS, the DVD, RECORDS OF SERVICE...the records of required maintenance will be required by the Y.E.S. contract to transfer the warranty. I would also ask for all his equipment on that boat, fenders, ropes, dock lines, anchor, chain, everything you can get him to send with it.

How many miles? 2000? That sounds a little high on the Uship. I have heard quotes of around $2K for around 1800 miles. I did however sell my first Yamaha sight unseen from Texas to California and @DawgDaze and @Suchawittygal trusted me...so I may not have much reason to doubt. But I was a fixture on the previous and this forum, so many folks know me and my boat. The more you can find out about this boat and seller the better. Is he a member of either this forum or YJB?

Be aware, that this boat may have California emissions. Not a bad thing, but outside of CA, it may not be viewed with the same eye. Just something to know. However we can help, that is what we do!

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I would contact EBAY about the protection they offer. And get it in writing.
I would ship it on a flatbed if you can, with the tower assembled, or carefully wrapped and not rubbing on anything!
If you ship it on the trailer, I'd be very concerned about the brakes over heating when coming down this side of the rockies. So if you ship it trailered, make sure it is with someone with a BIG F'ing truck, and have them lockout the trailer brakes when going down steep grades. Otherwise he might fry the hubs.
I sold my last boat on Ebay, and had no issues, but the buyer looked it over before handing over CASH and had the titles in hand. I assume EBAY will act as an Escrow agent, if not get one. This article might be of great help to you:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/buying-a-car-sight-unseen.html

Also, as @geiger41 says if you can tell us where the boat is more specifically, we might have a member that would volunteer, or for a small fee, go check the boat out for you. You never know....I would for a boat here in Raleigh.
Thank you Julian. I will try to see if flatbed is an option but it will depend on the cost obviously. I love the suggestion of a member who is close to the location of the boat, Waterford CA, taking a look for me if that is possible. But after talking to the seller I do feel comfortable with this.

I'll most likely pay the whole amount through paypal and hopefully find reasonable shipper that will do the flatbed for good price.

Thank you again everyone for your inputs. It's very helpful!

David D

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Keep us posted! And return to the forum once you get the boat. There's TONS of good info -- start with the FAQs. You'll be surprised at how much you learn! Welcome aboard.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ever watch "Shipping Wars"? Maybe Jarod will bid it for $300 -- it will go through hell on the way to your place, but it will be cheap. o_O Just kidding ... I hope it all works out for you.
LOL, yes I've seen it. Hopefully it'll go all smooth and ideally I would love to have it before the 4th of July weekend, in one piece.

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
and when you get it....we will give you a very long lists of required mods...a surf machine in the making:)

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Helluva first post!

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@dansshin Fill out your profile so we know where your located, then we can help you with issues and put you in the right direction based on where you live
Thanks for the tip. I did fill it out just now.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If the seller has clear title, and it can be verified, it may not be necessary. But buying from out of town without actually being there, I don't know about that. Normally, a state issues a title and only releases the lien on said title when the asset is paid in full. That clear title is a state provided document. You want a bill of sale and a "real" title on the boat and the trailer (2 documents). MN will require them to reissue title in MN. If your talking to the seller, what will your lender want...if you have a lender? Without it, I might consider having a vehicle title search company check the boat and trailer VIN to be sure it is paid for and owned by the seller. You will also need his tax receipts more than likely. And, you will have to apply for the Yamaha YES warranty if it has it. But there are documents he needs to check with them on, and provide to you. Get ALL MANUALS, the DVD, RECORDS OF SERVICE...the records of required maintenance will be required by the Y.E.S. contract to transfer the warranty. I would also ask for all his equipment on that boat, fenders, ropes, dock lines, anchor, chain, everything you can get him to send with it.

How many miles? 2000? That sounds a little high on the Uship. I have heard quotes of around $2K for around 1800 miles. I did however sell my first Yamaha sight unseen from Texas to California and @DawgDaze and @Suchawittygal trusted me...so I may not have much reason to doubt. But I was a fixture on the previous and this forum, so many folks know me and my boat. The more you can find out about this boat and seller the better. Is he a member of either this forum or YJB?

Be aware, that this boat may have California emissions. Not a bad thing, but outside of CA, it may not be viewed with the same eye. Just something to know. However we can help, that is what we do!
I will ask for bill of sale and "real" title with the purchase. Where would the seller go to get bill of sale created? What do you mean by "his tax receipt"? I'm in position to pay cash for this so I will not be going through a lender.

He will throw in anchor and other accessories he has for this specific boat but he said he needs the life jackets and other gear for his other boat. But he kindly offered to throw in two of the life jackets and I really appreciated that because he didn't have to do that.

Thank you again for this valuable information.

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Damn bro, if that sale is legit you got one hell of a F'N deal !!!!!!!!!!! Now all the $$ you saved will be spent of mods #JB.NETWILLMAKEYOUPOOR

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
and when you get it....we will give you a very long lists of required mods...a surf machine in the making:)
LOL, yeah that's what I'm afraid of. I didn't have a boat yet but after reading some of the information on this forum I already have short list of things I want to add-on. LOL!

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
One other thing. Don't be a stranger to the site after you get your boat. Were all here to help one another out and learn from each other.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@dansshin why not take a drive and get it yourself! I bought a used boat, sight unseen, with some local Intel from @OCMD... I drove it back ~600 miles and didn't have any issues.

Suggest you get the location locked into the site, leverage a local member to check it out and go from there. OR go with your cashiers check and fork it over once you have title in hand, water test, etc.

Take a buddy, wife, whatever and take a great road trip and make some memories!

Good luck, welcome to the forum and keep us posted!!

Mark
I may consider this as I promised the kids I would take them to Yellowstone this year. But 2000 miles is heck of drive not to mention with a boat behind you! I may see if having it shipped to Yellowstone is an option too. Thanks for the suggestion.

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
LOL, yeah that's what I'm afraid of. I didn't have a boat yet but after reading some of the information on this forum I already have short list of things I want to add-on. LOL!
Between a radio syatem and everything else I would say a safe number is about 5k-10k in mods. But you saved all that cash on the boat your already ahead of the game... OK Im done work at 6a peace

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Sorry, the receipt for his license and registration. California wanted my receipts when I sold my Texas boat to owners in calif. I tagged them and wanted them to offer input to you here. They had a helluva time getting it registered but calif is different than most states or at least views themselves that way...the state government I speak of.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Keep us posted! And return to the forum once you get the boat. There's TONS of good info -- start with the FAQs. You'll be surprised at how much you learn! Welcome aboard.
Thank you Dave for the information and I'll be sure to keep using the forum through out my ownership. I'm sure I'll be learning more than contribute but will try to contribute as much as I can as well.

Sorry, the receipt for his license and registration. California wanted my receipts when I sold my Texas boat to owners in calif. I tagged them and wanted them to offer input to you here. They had a helluva time getting it registered but calif is different than most states or at least views themselves that way...the state government I speak of.
I did little bit of research on buying used boat but wasn't aware which documents may be needed for registration so thank you again for this information. I'll be sure to ask the seller if he could send this to me as well. From my research I did learn that in MN there is no sales tax on the boat if I buy from private party online or otherwise so even this was surprise in a good way.