• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

keel guard whos running one?

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have mine since since 2013 shortly after I "roughed" up my keel on a public launch at Cayuga Lake.

Last year, I forgot about that launch and screwed up my keel but fortunately my keelguard took the brunt of the damage.

Kudos to Keel Guard They are sending (Warranty Replacement) me a 10' one to replace the damaged one. So the $125 I spent 7 years ago turned out to be a good investment. Now if I can just remember to never launch my boat on that lake .

I am sending Como the bill.

View attachment 131762
You’re supposed to launch the boat IN the water!

Joking aside, how did that happen, that’s some thick rubber to tear that badly.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have mine since since 2013 shortly after I "roughed" up my keel on a public launch at Cayuga Lake.

Last year, I forgot about that launch and screwed up my keel but fortunately my keelguard took the brunt of the damage.

Kudos to Keel Guard They are sending (Warranty Replacement) me a 10' one to replace the damaged one. So the $125 I spent 7 years ago turned out to be a good investment. Now if I can just remember to never launch my boat on that lake .

View attachment 131762
Keel guard has replaced two of mine, on for the boat the other for a ski. Be forewarned, getting the old guard and glue/tape off can be time consuming and uncomfortable. We used a drill with a wire wheel and eraser wheel.

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You’re supposed to launch the boat IN the water!

Joking aside, how did that happen, that’s some thick rubber to tear that badly.
It happened when I was pulling the trailer/boat out of the water. The first time it sounded like the trailer was scraping the concrete (made me sick when I found out it was my hull being scraped) the second time I heard nothing and only noticed the damage when I trailered the boat home. That time the Keelguard took the brunt of the damage. Still don’t know how it happened.

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Keel guard has replaced two of mine, on for the boat the other for a ski. Be forewarned, getting the old guard and glue/tape off can be time consuming and uncomfortable. We used a drill with a wire wheel and eraser wheel.
Thanks for the tip.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
These pics illustrate another reason to install a keel guard even if you don’t Beach your boat. There is a lot more to hit on the water besides the beach.
FD89507A-C724-46D5-B871-2AE135043F2B.jpeg6B8ECB2A-012B-4E7A-8488-D848EB6E3317.jpeg

2019scott195wake300

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
i couldnt of said it better! i just dont done with mine this morning before work. Ill post up so pics on what i did tonight

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have mine but haven't installed it as of yet. Going to do it this Saturday so I have time to take my time.

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Ronnie, how far back did you go. I ordered 11' so I have more than enough. I also ordered the stainless steel bow shield. My next question, is that if I come up higher then the water line almost to the bow shield, what would I do around the anchor locker drain hole, just trim around it and notch it out? The keel looks like it get pronounced and taller right where the curve goes to the flat part of the boat, wondering if I should stop right before that or after that.

Also I ordered it it black, since the blue wouldn't match perfectly.

Any advice would be awesome and greatly appreciated.

242x, went with the 12' Gator-guard and started at the front waterline and went as far back as possible. The keel towards the stern definitely becomes more pronounced, but the flex in the guard appears to still allow it to form and hold (at least since install last Oct.). We don't beach, but have rocky lakes in northern MN so having protection in the rear where the boat sits deepest in the water was important.

2019scott195wake300

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
on my 195 i started right under the hook at the front and went with 12ft. stops about 16ins from the intake.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
A keel guard won’t protect the keel from everything but it’s a lot better than nothing.
if you beach your boat it’s a must have item IMHO.

I went with a black one this time around, it starts above the water line but below the anchor locker drain and extends to the second of four cross bars on the trailer and until I took the pic below this morning o thought it was fine. Looks like it’s time for some 3m 4200 or 5200, premature detachment is not covered under warranty unless failure of the guard itself causes it to peel off (for instance it develops a tear that water gets onto and causes the guard to peel, learned through an experience with one of my waverunner keel guards).

Attachments

Yamahaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
why does the keel guard website say only 7 feet is needed for up to 20' boats? i dont know what size to order. another thread said 8' for a 19 foot boat

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think it is because many people who buy keel guards beach their boats and don’t need a full Length keel gaurd since only the front of the boat should come in contact with the beach.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I have an 8’ on my 232. This was enough to go 2’ past the rub zone from beaching it and about 6” above the water line

2019scott195wake300

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
from what i seen most people run a 8ft for the 19ft boat. also from what i understand if its to short it will come off. so it doesnt hurt to be long

Yamahaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I ordered 8' thank you

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

View attachment 131762
OMG...That's brutal...

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
from what i seen most people run a 8ft for the 19ft boat. also from what i understand if its to short it will come off. so it doesnt hurt to be long
That's what she said....

OurCrew

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
My 210 FSH just came in at the dealer, what length should I get, I do instead on beaching it on Topsail inlet or Onslow Island.

Has anyone gotten longer and cut off what wasn’t needed?
How far from intake is needed to prevent cavitation from it?

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
you dont need to go back anywhere near as far as the intake. use what they recommend and you will be fine. my 232 i put an 8' on i believe. i would beach it all the time and it only ever rubbed 2/3 down the length of the guard. for a 21 i would imagine a 7' would be more than enough.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In line with @mrcleanr6 recommendation I went with the length keel guard recommended and added 2 feet to cover more of the bow above the waterline. I think they recommend starting 6 inches above the line whereas I started higher at the bow eye.

If you are beaching your boat up to the intake grates you will probably have a hard time getting your boat off the beach.