• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

keel guard whos running one?

SantaFeTrailer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have one.

SFT Daughter: "Dad, you should slow down I see some rocks"
SFT: "That random dude in the parking lot said it was clear all the way up to the aqueduct, so we don't need to worry."
Boat/Rock: "CRUNCH"
Totally saved the hull from any damage, but did do a number on the keel guard. I am a believer.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I went with 10 feet. I don't plan on beaching my boat, but if there is ever a need, I'll be ready. I am concerned about objects in the water as well. I started right below the anchor drain.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had the Megaware Keel Guard on our 20' SeaDoo X20 and it held up well to beaching and rock bumps.

our 242 had a GatorGuard Keelshield on it from the previous owner. We took about three digs into it from our lift when we had a low water season. GatorGuard replaced it for free. Since then, we had another low water season this year and I have three big dings in it from the lift.

That tells you how much it cushions the blow, as I would have never known that I hit if I had not seen the digs in the Keelshield. I think I may go back to a Keel Guard this time. It may not be quite as soft. Honestly, both are good products, so it may not matter. But since I don't have documentation to get another warranty replacement, I may just purchase the Megaware brand to try out.

If anyone is curious, I pulled the old one off by peeling away just an inch or so from the rear, and connecting a Vise Grip to it, then used my bow winch to pull the keel shield off. Used a bit of heat and kept cranking and got it off. Cleaned up the hull and put the new one on.

I have a video on my youtube channel

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I had a keel guard on my 2005 SX230. Haven't put one on my 242X mainly because I don't beach her.....but at some point soon, I will begin beaching her....and before I do, I'll put a keel guard on. You just never know what is in the sand when you beach. What made me do this was beaching in Lake Murray SC. Lots of boats were pulled up....so I just pulled in next in line....little did I know there was a rock there. Fortunately I pulled in so slow it only scratched my keel lightly....but keel guard went on soon there after!