• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Killing yer starting battery, Let be real about this.....

I have two batteries and have never used a charger during the summer. Stock radio ect. I have been nervous about how long to listen to the radio and will shut it down probably earlier than I need to.

I have two questions for the group. First- The voltage display on the 242 as you toggle thru the gauges is that the output of the engines or will it show the voltage of the batteries when the engine is off?
Two- has anyone ever done a mod of a battery voltage meter that you could just take a quick peek at while listening to music like this:
http://www.amazon.com/VvW-Waterproof-Monitor-Battery-Voltmeter/dp/B00ID2Z9FI/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1398795236&sr=8-10&keywords=waterproof battery volt gauge

41pBP21WMXL._SX342_.jpg
People have added volt meters near the throttles. I bought one of these and it gives me a quick read when I need. My perfect pass gauge also tells me the voltage as well. Dedicated gauges would be better.

Something to do with too much amps...frying something. Sorry, didn't really get into it with him as he was pretty adamant about it. Have you ever used it?
Sorry, but that doesn't make sense. I don't think that guy is as knowledgable as he seemed.

12 volts is 12 volts is 12 volts. Just because a jump pack has a lot of amperage CAPACITY does not mean its going to force-feed all that current into anything connected to it. Electricity flows according to very well known laws of physics. Current flow is dictated by volts and resistance, not the size of the jump pack. As long as you don't change the volts or resistance, a bigger battery will not force more currrent into a circuit or device

I am going to post this again because it did cost me 300+ dollars and have talked too people that make stators and they said it is bad to introduce current back feed into the stator. Will it happen to everyone, probably not but it did to me so I take the warning with great respect and would only do it in an emergency situation. Do I know what they are talking about.....absolutely not.... will I do what they suggest....absolutely. Pulling an engine out of my boat is not on the todo list.

"It CAN fry the stators on our boats which would be a costly repair. You are not supposed to use a jump box and jumper cables on any motors that use stators to charge. And yes I have had it happen to my Rhino so I know first hand that it can happen."

It CAN fry the stators on our boats which would be a costly repair. You are not supposed to use a jump box and jumper cables on any motors that use stators to charge. And yes I have had it happen to my Rhino so I know first hand that it can happen.
You CAN jump-start them from a battery pack. What you aren't supposed to do is JUMP from ANOTHER RUNNING ENGINE. This is different.

the service manager at my dealer told me you can use jump pack or if u jump it off another boat, never have the other boat running because their alternator will toast the electrical on our boats.

I did some digging around the internet and it seems that you can use a jump box just fine or even a non-running car. If you use a running car it will send too much amperage into the stators/regulators and fry them. This was from the motorcycle guys where it is a more common problem but could come from other boat engines as well. I guess the regulators send the excess power to ground so sending more than it is designed for will shorten its life. I can't get my head around how it all works but the information is out there.

I agree with @maboat and @jaybro. I should have said engine running when I said jumper cables. Now stators come in different wattages and I think this might be where a higher rated jump box might actually do some damage, but I have nothing to back that up. When I blew the stator on the rhino it was when I had the other engine running and found out quick that wasn't going to fly.

It CAN fry the stators on our boats which would be a costly repair. You are not supposed to use a jump box and jumper cables on any motors that use stators to charge. And yes I have had it happen to my Rhino so I know first hand that it can happen.
How do the stators know whether you're using a 12v jump pack or another 12v battery?

How do the stators know whether you're using a 12v jump pack or another 12v battery?

Read down a bit. The engine on his "jump pack" was running. It sounds like car alternators do not mix well with our charging systems. Wasn't there someone that put a car alternator on their boat though?

I have a single battery setup. It's the original battery from 2006. I only charge it during the winter when it comes out of the boat and it works fine. I do carry a jump pack and I don't buy what your dealer told you @billyb. A battery doesn't push current, the device it powers draws the current it needs from the battery. I'd like to hear what @David Analog or the @ChargerGuy have to say about your dealer's statement.
I would love to comment, but I do not sell or have any experience with jump packs.

The problem is VOLTAGE. 12v jump pack or 12v other vehicle (not running) makes no difference. Little jump pack or big jump pack, 12 volts is 12 volts. Another vehicle with a running alternator is putting out about 14.4 volts (possibly even more). The voltage regulator on our boats will attempt to shunt that excess voltage resulting in higher-than-expected current flow and THAT'S what burns it up.

SO, as long as you jump it with a 12 volt battery, no matter how big, its fine. Jumping with a 14.4 volt running alternator is not fine.

I don't buy what your dealer told you @billyb. A battery doesn't push current, the device it powers draws the current it needs from the battery. I'd like to hear what @David Analog or the @ChargerGuy have to say about your dealer's statement.
I'll tell you what @maboat has to say... YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT :winkingthumbsup"

The problem is VOLTAGE. blah, blah, blah...
SO, as long as you jump it with a 12 volt battery, no matter how big, its fine. Jumping with a 14.4 volt running alternator is not fine.

OK, OK, OK, I got it, but when you use the jump pack, are the plugs open or closed?

Refer to my correction...

The problem is VOLTAGE. 12v jump pack or 12v other vehicle (not running) makes no difference. Little jump pack or big jump pack, 12 volts is 12 volts. Another vehicle with a running alternator is putting out about 14.4 volts (possibly even more). The voltage regulator on our boats will attempt to shunt that excess voltage resulting in higher-than-expected current flow and THAT'S what burns it up.

image.jpg

I have two questions for the group. First- The voltage display on the 242 as you toggle thru the gauges is that the output of the engines or will it show the voltage of the batteries when the engine is off?
Two- has anyone ever done a mod of a battery voltage meter that you could just take a quick peek at while listening to music like this:
http://www.amazon.com/VvW-Waterproof-Monitor-Battery-Voltmeter/dp/B00ID2Z9FI/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1398795236&sr=8-10&keywords=waterproof battery volt gauge

41pBP21WMXL._SX342_.jpg
1. I don't know about the 242 dash. Does the gauge work with the key on, but the engine not running? If so, then you are getting battery voltage.
2. yes
bling8.jpg

In this first picture I used Stinger voltmeters. Looked really cool, but were totally NOT water resistant. They crapped out after a little bit of splash in the first season, so I replace them with these...
CIMG3373.jpg

I would prefer to have the digital readout, but these are made for motorcycles and are totally waterproof and have been working flawlessly for about 7 years

Last edited:
I have a friend going this Saturday for his walk through, with the same guy that did mine.

I will have him get a detailed explanation.

I carry a Jump Pack and have used it without an issue.

Back