• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Killing yer starting battery, Let be real about this.....

Spoke to my close friend and all star Yamaha tech, his exact words were...
From a car truck or other boat, Just don't use a running engine!
A jump pack is ok Get polarity correct.

Hey Bob,

If "All Star" Andy says so - then that's all the confirmation I need.

Ok, so I think we have agreed that a jump pack should not hurt your boat, but we will have a couple guys verify with dealers this week or next.

The next question would be how many amps should a battery pack have? I see them on Amazon from 400 amps to 3,600 amps.

So what say you oh wise men and women of Jetboaters.net???

Get one that is as big as or bigger than the battery on your largest vehicle. Mine pulls winter duty in the trunk of my car at the airport.

The jump packs the good ones have a 12v 17AH battery inside The larger ones have 22AH batteries

I know with emergency vehicles you can buy a small tender that attaches to the starter battery at 11.7 V it will shut off the circuit you press a reset button on it and you'll have enough power to start your motor. They are about $80. Just a thought, you never have to worry about it again.

Thanks for the research on the gauges and the nice pics of the volt meters. I think I will choose one of those two mods. Of course if I could just get these
Dilithium crystals to align I wouldn't need anything.

@txav8r the multi-display does show voltage but you have to turn the key quick and not start the engine then it goes out after 5 seconds. You can repeat this every 4 seconds until you get the display to show the right data. It gets to be a pain after a while as I don't keep voltage as my main display items. I like the $10 plug in meter that @jetboater4life recommended.

@Evil Sports @octavio3311 "All Star" Andy is hard at work on my boat right now! :) Picking her up on Saturday. Maybe the rain will stop soon!

Last edited:
I have been thinking about this a bit and wonder if there are multiple variables. I know the batteries can cause voltage drops if they are dead based on how the VSR works and may chatter with larger or severely depleted batteries. I could also see how smaller motorcycle batteries may not be able to absorb as much charge as the 24s, 27s or even 31s that some of us are running. I think it is overall good advice to not jump our engines from a running automotive type engine because you never know if your battery is just depleted and will absorb that excess voltage or if your battery is bad and will let it all go to the charging system.

I did some searching over on YJB for the guy that ran a 200amp car alternator on his boat and could not find who it was. I did find a post where @txav8r said the guy had blown his engine though: http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58282&p=500841&hilit=alternator#p500841

I'm no expert on batteries/charging etc, but the above sounds really strange to me so I had to look it up. Some people have had stator issues when jump starting off running vehicles (haven't found out why)....but Electical Engineers have posted saying there is no issue with doing that...

http://forums.atvconnection.com/yamaha/267509-can-jump-starting-car-cause-prob-2.html

"While charging with a battery charger the voltage across the battery terminals can reach 14.5 volts. This is the same max voltage that will be seen by jump starting with a running automobile. This will cause NO damage to a modern ATV. It doesn't matter whether you are attempting to jump start from a running garden tractor or from Hoover dam. If the VOLTAGE does not exceed ~14.5 volts, there is nothing in the circuit that can be damaged regardless of the current capacity (Amps) of the charging source. Ohms law states that Amps = Volts / resistance. The resistance of the components in your bike is fixed, so the only way to increase the current is to increase the voltage.

Bottom line, as long as the voltage of the charging source is limited to around 14.5VDC, no damage will occur REGARDLESS of the amp rating of the source.(sorry for the technical response, but as a 25 year electrical engineer I wanted to provide some immutable facts)"​

Most threads I've found are about jump starting from a car....and all say it should be no issue...but many suggest jump it from a NON-Running car because a running car alternator sometimes produces higher VOLTS than can be handled by a stator based system. That makes sense to me. Amp and Watts have nothing to do with it. Voltage would....

So does a jump pack produce more volts than a normal battery? I seriously doubt it. My guess is folklore has taken a hold of the running car issue....and amplified it to never jump a stator based vehicle...

I'm no expert on batteries/charging etc, but the above sounds really strange to me so I had to look it up. Some people have had stator issues when jump starting off running vehicles (haven't found out why)....but Electical Engineers have posted saying there is no issue with doing that...

http://forums.atvconnection.com/yamaha/267509-can-jump-starting-car-cause-prob-2.html

"While charging with a battery charger the voltage across the battery terminals can reach 14.5 volts. This is the same max voltage that will be seen by jump starting with a running automobile. This will cause NO damage to a modern ATV. It doesn't matter whether you are attempting to jump start from a running garden tractor or from Hoover dam. If the VOLTAGE does not exceed ~14.5 volts, there is nothing in the circuit that can be damaged regardless of the current capacity (Amps) of the charging source. Ohms law states that Amps = Volts / resistance. The resistance of the components in your bike is fixed, so the only way to increase the current is to increase the voltage.

Bottom line, as long as the voltage of the charging source is limited to around 14.5VDC, no damage will occur REGARDLESS of the amp rating of the source.(sorry for the technical response, but as a 25 year electrical engineer I wanted to provide some immutable facts)"​

Most threads I've found are about jump starting from a car....and all say it should be no issue...but many suggest jump it from a NON-Running car because a running car alternator sometimes produces higher VOLTS than can be handled by a stator based system. That makes sense to me. Amp and Watts have nothing to do with it. Voltage would....

So does a jump pack produce more volts than a normal battery? I seriously doubt it. My guess is folklore has taken a hold of the running car issue....and amplified it to never jump a stator based vehicle...

This actually makes a lot of sense as I have seen my voltage go above 14 on fully charged batteries while underway. I can't remember the highest...maybe 14.3v but it was high enough that it caught my attention.

Yo, Yo, Yo, check it out:

http://www.cnet.com/news/pocket-sized-jump-starters/

I once jump started a car with a small, sealed motorcycle battery (it was all I had) since I once tore apart an old jump pack to find two similar sized batteries in there I figured why not try and it worked!

I like this: Matco claims up to 1,000 charge cycles for the Versapower. 300 cranking amps and a peak of 400 amps can handle jump starting V-8 engines. Matco Tools says the Versapower can jump start a Ford F-150 with a V-8 18 times on a single charge.

The member that installed the 200 AMP alternator to charge his 7 batteries is @cybuch. I know he had to replace an engine recently but the alternator had nothing to do with it. They occasionally call on him and his boat to jump start nuclear power plants. Just don't let him jump start your boat with it. ;)

The member that installed the 200 AMP alternator to charge his 7 batteries is @cybuch. I know he had to replace an engine recently but the alternator had nothing to do with it. They occasionally call on him and his boat to jump start nuclear power plants. Just don't let him jump start your boat with it. ;)

Curious if he has gone through any stators or rectifiers.

Curious if he has gone through any stators or rectifiers.
Correct me if I am wrong but it wouldn't matter at that point if his stators worked or not. He is using his alternator to charge his system not the stators......

Correct me if I am wrong but it wouldn't matter at that point if his stators worked or not. He is using his alternator to charge his system not the stators......
I would expect it to throw codes if it fails still.

Back