• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Launch/Retrieval tips for a rookie

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The best advice I ever got on launching the boat was very simple. Go Very Slow and let other people using the ramp know it's your first time. That friendly gesture of warning them, was amazing. I had two other owners stop, and come over to help. Everyone else at the ramp just said slow down, and take your time.

Good luck, it's not nearly as hard as it seems (I mean look around at any ramp and you'll see that anyone can do it). Actually if you have some time, and a ramp not too far away you could always go sit and watch for a while. A ramp can be a pretty entertaining place.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The best advice I ever got on launching the boat was very simple. Go Very Slow and let other people using the ramp know it's your first time. That friendly gesture of warning them, was amazing. I had two other owners stop, and come over to help. Everyone else at the ramp just said slow down, and take your time.

Good luck, it's not nearly as hard as it seems (I mean look around at any ramp and you'll see that anyone can do it). Actually if you have some time, and a ramp not too far away you could always go sit and watch for a while. A ramp can be a pretty entertaining place.
Yeah! And bring a cooler full of your favorite beverage, a comfortable chair, umbrella, and your video camera! Entertaining is an understatement!

rjan23

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There is a pre/post launch checklist in the FAQ. Most ramps have a location to prep boats before launch. Go there, run through the checklist and take your time. Then, when you are all ready to launch (bumpers on, ropes attached etc), move to the ramp area. Leave the safety line/chain on until she's in the water, then disconnect, undo winch and float her off. Helps to have someone with you that has done it before to give you confidence, but not required.
Thanks for the info.... I definitely read up on the FAQ.

rjan23

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Launching is easiest of these two events.

Prep away from ramp, in holding area or parking lot. Deal with coolers, bags, kids etc there. Remove cover, rear tie downs, check drain plug, cleanout plugs and fire up engines briefly. Have kids don vests and everyone sits down in a seat until the entire thing is over. No one moves except the boat driver.

Have tow driver back you down until back end just barely in water, then fire up motors and walk forward and unhook bow line and safety chain. Have driver back in last two feet or so and hard stop as you goose reverse lightly. you will slide right off looking like a pro.

Ramp dependent on putting out fenders or lines before hand. Fenders will get jammed if you have guide posts. We just nose boat up and pick up driver as they step in, so no lines fenders needed.
Awesome thanks for walking me through it..... Great stuff.

rjan23

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I always walk the dock at the ramp to check the water level complared to the end of the ramp. You do not want the trailer tires to go beyond the end of the ramp in the water. I have a reference on the retaining wall that locates the end of the ramp for me. To get good at launching and retreivial, practice, practice, practice.
Thanks.... I'll make sure to walk and study the ramp layout.

rjan23

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Yeah I just hope I'm not the days entertainment!

rjan23

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I always walk the dock at the ramp to check the water level complared to the end of the ramp. You do not want the trailer tires to go beyond the end of the ramp in the water. I have a reference on the retaining wall that locates the end of the ramp for me. To get good at launching and retreivial, practice, practice, practice.
I plan to get some practice runs in before memorial day when things really pick up around here. I live in NJ.

rjan23

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is the checklist so you don't have to go find it...practice loading/unloading like @jawsf16 said, on a calm day with not much traffic, so you can load/unload until you get the hang of it. You will, and you will be glad it is you doing what needs to be done...I bet those in/out places do less than half of what they tell you.
Thank you. Great reference tool.

rjan23

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It never ceases to amaze me how many people will show up at the ramp having done absolutely no prep before getting there....especially on holiday weekends. It never fails, there is always someone that puts their boat in, loads up, only to find out the battery that sat all winter, without a charger, is dead.
I've been so focused on the process itself that I was overlooking all the prep work. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

rjan23

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also go on a quiet non weekend day your first time. Other people watching will stress you out. Get good and then look like rock stars on the busy days!
Yeah I'm worried about the crowds and holding things up. Hopefully I'll get out a few time before it gets busy around here. Thanks.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lots of great advice here. I would add that if you are not confident with backing up a trailer, it is a good idea to find a vacant parking lot and get some practice in. When backing up, go slow and make subtle movements with the wheel.

rjan23

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is the checklist so you don't have to go find it...practice loading/unloading like @jawsf16 said, on a calm day with not much traffic, so you can load/unload until you get the hang of it. You will, and you will be glad it is you doing what needs to be done...I bet those in/out places do less than half of what they tell you.
I think you may be right about that... The one I dealt with left a sour taste in my mouth. I'm nervous now but like the idea of having control of my boating experience.

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lots of great advice here. I would add that if you are not confident with backing up a trailer, it is a good idea to find a vacant parking lot and get some practice in. When backing up, go slow and make subtle movements with the wheel.
One tip I find helpful in teaching new drivers to back up the trailer is to move the BOTTOM of the steering wheel in the direction you want the trailer to go.....

:winkingthumbsup"

robbo3

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Rules I abide by:
  1. Always prepare your stuff away from the ramp
  2. Never tie up blocking the ramp, unless absolutely necessary
  3. Teach others how to either back the trailer in or drive boat on/off trailer
  4. Ask for help if you need it (I've had others become offended when offering, so I've stopped)
  5. Make sure your boat starts and has gas before launching
  6. Plugs in.
In/out can be a quick, stress free process when done right.