• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Launch/Retrieval tips for a rookie

rjan23

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi all,

Long time lurker here.... Came over from the other site. I'm new to the scene, bought my 2013 ar190 last year. I was able to find a marina near me that provided indoor in/out service for what I thought was a reasonable price. Unfortunately, the guy was unreliable and had us waiting at the dock several times because he forgot to put the boat in. He wasn't storing when asked and who knows about the flushing. You get the picture. I've decided to sever ties and trailer it this year. There's a ramp in town that provides perfect access for my needs. Here's where I need some help.... I'm concerned about the launch - retrieval process since I've never done it before. I imagine early on I won't be alone so I should have help. Any tips or what to look out for? Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
There is a pre/post launch checklist in the FAQ. Most ramps have a location to prep boats before launch. Go there, run through the checklist and take your time. Then, when you are all ready to launch (bumpers on, ropes attached etc), move to the ramp area. Leave the safety line/chain on until she's in the water, then disconnect, undo winch and float her off. Helps to have someone with you that has done it before to give you confidence, but not required.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Launching is easiest of these two events.

Prep away from ramp, in holding area or parking lot. Deal with coolers, bags, kids etc there. Remove cover, rear tie downs, check drain plug, cleanout plugs and fire up engines briefly. Have kids don vests and everyone sits down in a seat until the entire thing is over. No one moves except the boat driver.

Have tow driver back you down until back end just barely in water, then fire up motors and walk forward and unhook bow line and safety chain. Have driver back in last two feet or so and hard stop as you goose reverse lightly. you will slide right off looking like a pro.

Ramp dependent on putting out fenders or lines before hand. Fenders will get jammed if you have guide posts. We just nose boat up and pick up driver as they step in, so no lines fenders needed.

Joshb723

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
It's very easy. Don't over think it. I always back the trailer in so the top fenders are just at the surface of the water. This is after I stop short of the water to unhook the the trailer ( leave the winch hooked). My wife is already in the boat and she backs it off the trailer. Depending on where we are sometimes we just walk it back off the trailer with dock lines, but not usually. After that I'll park it. We get everything in the boat before we get to the ramp except maybe just her purse or something. I'll then park the truck and that's it. On retrieval I get the truck back it down to the fenders touching the surface again. Wife drives it up ( I do it if it's too windy). I hook the winch line then pull it out of the way. That's when we prep it to leave. It's very simple.
One thing I would emphasize, don't rush it. There's no reason to rush. Even if the ramp is busy I always tell myself if I rush I'll probably only save 1-2 minutes anyway.
Also if your not used to driving with the trailer, practice for 20-30 minutes before you get to the ramp.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Recovering is more of a challenge.

We nose up and drop off driver at dock so no lines, fenders etc. again everyone has a seat and keeps except captain once the loading process begins. While driver is getting vehicle float out and but Bimini away, prep bags etc to kill time. As the driver is backing down, approach trailer area with no wake mode. Have them put trailer fender tops just visible out of water or leave about 18" of bunk out. I have my wife dunk the trailer and the. Pull forward until I hold up my hand, it is easier for boat drivr to see the bunks.

Next approach with one engine in idle and using one with short power bursts as required for steering. Don't be afraid to reverse out or wave off until you get comfortable doing this. Do not approach at no wake, it is too fast. My wife hips out and stands to side near winch. I approach line up, compensate for winds and let the bunks center the boat. Rookie mistake is being afraid to have a bit of momentum. Once I feel it center, I goose both motors to slide up the bunks. Once it stops, wife hooks up safety and strap, then cranks it tight. I goose power while she cranks the winch and snugs everything up.

She hops in truck and drives out as I goose the motors to clear out the waterboxes. Up and into the lot or holding area and begin post flight. Big items are unload kids, bags, trash, drop Bimini, put on cover, pull clean out plugs and drain plugs. Hook up rear takedowns and double check everything. I also turn off battery switch.

Oh and don't forget bilge on when in the water and off when out.

Hope that helps so e.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Also go on a quiet non weekend day your first time. Other people watching will stress you out. Get good and then look like rock stars on the busy days!

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Almost forgot.

:Welcome::Welcome::Welcome::Welcome:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
welcome aboard! your most difficult part may be backing the trailer down the ramp,

Where are you located? update your profile, maybe there's a member close by who could spend an hour with you,

Start now while the weather might not be good, go with the intention of just unloading and loading a few times while the ramp is empty or not crowded, also pick a day that's not to windy as that will make it more difficult.

it won't take long until your comfortable but even last week I had 20mph winds and ended up crooked and had to back off for another try,

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We do things slightly different. I never power on or off of the trailer. We have a system that the wife and I have been using for the last few years and it works for us. I usually go through my checklist at home including installing the clean out plugs, transom/bilge/locker plugs and briefly starting the engines. Once at the ramp, my wife and kids get out and walk to the dock while I remove the transom straps, get in the boat and hook up the dock lines and fenders. I back the boat in with the trailer fenders submerged 3-5 inches, set the parking brake and unhook the safety strap and winch hook. I step in the water and push the boat off of the trailer while the wife has the dock lines and ties her off. While I park the truck, she is usually getting the kids vest on and getting them settled. I come back to the boat, untie and we are off.

Our retrieving method is as follows.....once we get near our ramp, I slow to idle and my wife hooks up the fenders and dock lines to whatever side we need. I approach the dock basically as slow as I possibly can (usually switching back and forth from idle to first forward detent). I bring the bow close at an angle, then hit reverse (first detent)and turn the wheel toward the dock while she grabs a cleat on the dock near the stern with our telescoping boat hook (highly recommended). I usually tie off and get the truck while she is tending the kids and beginning to put everything away on the boat. Once I have the trailer in the water, I just walk it up on the trailer using the dock lines. I can usually walk it up to where the bow hook is about 3ft from the winch. I hook the strap and winch it the rest of the way. I pull up, reinstall the transom straps, make sure everything is locked down, and were off.

Our way may sound much slower than others, but if sit and watch people at the dock who have really no system at all, our way will look like we are superstars. The important thing is DONT RUSH. Find a system that works and stick to it. Once a little frustration sets in, things usually go downhill from there. Be friendly to others at the dock, and lend a hand to them if you can (if they'll accept it). I find that a little confidence and positive attitude goes a long way at the dock.

Last edited:

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The boat ramp can be a dangerous place. I explain this to my kids in a very direct and serious way. I say that they must be on there best behavior and so far they have been very cooperative.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Wow. Lots of good info there. I read most of it so I hope this isn't a repeat. On top of everything everyone said..... Beat thing that helped myself was to simply open the tailgate while backing down the ramp. Both at launch and retrieval. Good luck!!

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I am by no means an expert, I think one of the most important things is setting a routine that works for you, and your partner if you have one, but in either instance set a routine and follow it every time, the check list that @Julian mentioned above is very helpful. Everyone has a way of doing both their own way that works for them. @GiddYupJoe , nice tip ... I just wouldn't turn too sharp...LOL

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Here is the checklist so you don't have to go find it...practice loading/unloading like @jawsf16 said, on a calm day with not much traffic, so you can load/unload until you get the hang of it. You will, and you will be glad it is you doing what needs to be done...I bet those in/out places do less than half of what they tell you.

Attachments

bgood188

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
I'm a newbie as well. The check list was the best thing to help me focus and NOT forget something important like the transom straps. As most people say launching is the easiest. Retrieval is not tough either if you understand the need to have more bunks showing so you don't just float around when you pull in which was my issue. I thought I needed the trailer at the same depth for retrieval as you do for launch. DUH....

Keys for me:
Practice when the ramps are empty.
Use the check list. Download and customize to your liking.
DO NOT overthink it. Once I understood the difference in trailer position for Launch and Retrieval life is easy (it's all in the check list if you read all of it)
Do not take a bunch of people when you go the first couple times. No need for the added pressure.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just wanted to add one more thing that I don't think was said above... Be considerate and mindful of everyone else at the ramp. I see way too often people who are very selfish and think they own the public ramp. Don't approach the water until you are absolutely ready to go.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
All great information above. In my situation the biggest challenge I found was getting the boat back on the trailer far enough forward. It was said above to take it slow and easy and I agree. I like to keep a little more weight (if possible) towards the back of the boat to help the boat slid all the way up nice and easy.

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I always walk the dock at the ramp to check the water level complared to the end of the ramp. You do not want the trailer tires to go beyond the end of the ramp in the water. I have a reference on the retaining wall that locates the end of the ramp for me. To get good at launching and retreivial, practice, practice, practice.

bgood188

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Just wanted to add one more thing that I don't think was said above... Be considerate and mindful of everyone else at the ramp. I see way too often people who are very selfish and think they own the public ramp. Don't approach the water until you are absolutely ready to go.
After today this makes me laugh. I pulled up and prepped my boat for launch and just as I was about to pull up to the ramp some joker with a marina truck pulls up beside me with a pontoon boat still covered. He asked if I cared if he went ahead of me. Of course I said I sure do care I don't want to wait for you to prep on the ramp.

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The only thing I can add here is: GO SLOW and dont worry what others are thinking, or if you are taking up too much time...... Precision first, speed second.....

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
After today this makes me laugh. I pulled up and prepped my boat for launch and just as I was about to pull up to the ramp some joker with a marina truck pulls up beside me with a pontoon boat still covered. He asked if I cared if he went ahead of me. Of course I said I sure do care I don't want to wait for you to prep on the ramp.
It never ceases to amaze me how many people will show up at the ramp having done absolutely no prep before getting there....especially on holiday weekends. It never fails, there is always someone that puts their boat in, loads up, only to find out the battery that sat all winter, without a charger, is dead.