• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lectrotab Group Buy-Looking to see if and how many would be interested.

EricE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I don't have my boat yet, but I might be in if the price is right.

BigJ

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
does anyone have pics of an install?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
does anyone have pics of an install?
There are several threads on this, here is what we came up with (the install details are in the post 85, I think, of that thread):

We are working off of the Lectrotab design of @Bruce and Dan Roberts of Linear Devices Corp (parent company making Lectrotabs). The standard tab dimensions in that kit are 12"x12" (chord x span), 14" actuator, and the attachment point is at 7.75" from the hinge/hull.

Those work really well for boat attitude adjustments, or as regular trim tabs. However, there are several issues with the above tabs/actuators if used as wake tabs, the way I see it. Most notably, those overall dimensions would NOT be compatible and potentially interfere with other wake shaping devices. For example, Gantlin Wake Wedge install would NOT be possible. Or other devices, such as an adjustable ASP-like platform (AKA Swatski's Tail, LOL), etc.

Shortening the actuators, the ONLY readily available solution, would dramatically reduce the tabs' range of motion due to the reduced stroke of the "short" actuator, 2.25" standard vs 1.5" "short". The only way to compensate for that is to move the attachment point closer to the hinge/hull, which would also weaken the load rating, which needs to be compensated for with the shorter chord (but longer span to retain the surface..). Etc, etc. :eek:

So, long and short, here are some considerations and solutions we came up with.

SPAN
The general recommendation is using tabs that are 9 inches in chord (distance from transom to trailing edge of the tab) the tabs should be one inch in span (width port to starboard) for each foot of boat. Accordingly, tabs for my boat should be 24" x 9".
The largest span of the tab that can be easily fitted is 16" (again, that is the width, or port to stbd measurement).
Making the tabs 16" x 9" would do the trick, close enough to 216 square inches to make a noticeable difference in lift without placing undue stress on the system. 16x9 is also the same surface as 12x12 that works extremely well in the above mentioned 23/24' Yamaha boats.
Importantly, 16" is also the largest span to fit exactly flush with the transom (in my 2016 240).

TABS PLACEMENT
On boats powered by outboards or sterndrives it is necessary the trim tabs not be placed too close to the drive unit to avoid disturbing the water flow to the propeller thus causing ventilation. This is usually no closer than 7”. General rule is no less than 8" from the center of the drive. 16x9 tabs would fulfill those criteria, however that is probably an overkill anyway as the intakes in our jetboats are far removed and would not be obstructed with tabs. I have learned however to be conservative with any such estimates. That said, looking at the picture from @Williamsone46 (in an above post) - the tabs would be out of the water and out of the way of intakes FOR SURE at planning speeds. So, 16x9 tabs would work well here.

SHORT vs STANDARD ACTUATOR STROKE vs RANGE OF MOTION
This has been the trickiest item to tackle and plan around. Standard actuator has a stroke of 2.25" (fully extended) and affords approximately 16.6 degrees of tab movement, I think (see below). To determine how a switch to the short actuator (with a 1.5" stroke) affects the range, we did a little back-of-the-envelope calculation here (where a is the measurement between the hinge/transom and the actuator attachment point in the tab):

(this was drafted by my son, as we were driving and talking, he just whipped this up on his tablet)
View attachment 49545

Basically (some oversimplifications notwithstanding, such as ignoring the change in the actuator angle of attack - which should be fine as it only moves a total of <20% of its length, etc.):

The current standard actuator attached at 7.75" affords the range of motion of approximately 16.6 deg.
This would be mostly retained by using short actuator attached at 6" from the hinge/hull.

That is the final "best case" scenario we could came up with:

1. 16"x9" tabs
2. short 10" actuators with 1.5" stroke
3. 6" attachment point (in the center of the tab's span)

Additional considerations are a few. Taper would be initially bend up, but possible "drop fin" add-ons (AKA "DF12" in Bennett parts) would be considered, etc, all pending test results in the water. Chine overlap is not an issue with this design (I believe). Internal hull fiberglass enforcements of actuator attachments are strait forward, not discussed here.
Here is a rough sketch of tabs' placement:
View attachment 49546
(Short actuators' attachment points in the hull would not interfere w/ Wake Wedge mounting points / tie down eyes, and tabs would not interfere with fins)

--
:

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Interested!

R0B6

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

motomandan

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
We have at least 10. We need to make this happen. I am about 1.5 hours from Electro Tab. If I can help let me know.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is very tempting. For me it will come down to price. Trying to not add too many more things to this boat... failing, but trying. So I am a definite 'maybe'.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So... while we are talking about this. Do they have way to integrate into a nmea2k network? I'm interested and would love to control vis my chartplotter

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So... while we are talking about this. Do they have way to integrate into a nmea2k network? I'm interested and would love to control vis my chartplotter
The short answer is no. No one here has integrated those into anything, so only three flavors - manual, ("semi-auto") MLC-1, or auto ALC-1.

Unless you have @Mainah's mad skills then you can have them controlled by your boat's radar or the weather channel TV remote, lol.

--

Last edited:

Dan Ruehl

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’m interested!!

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was hoping Russ and Dan would have joined the conversation by now but they may be waiting for me to give them a call with about how many of us would be interested.

I will call tomorrow and ask them about setting up a discount based on the number of committed buyers. So we should have some pricing news by the end of the day tomorrow.

Jason Kloehn

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just talked to Russ at Lectrotab-The deal is brewing and it's starting to look sweet!

They will probably do the usual Jetboater's group buy deal.

The more committed buyers, the greater the discount up to the maximum that make business sense for them.

They are working it out now and will probably be able to announce a deal Monday or early next week.

They will probably set a standard price on the configuration I mentioned above with adders for the ALC-1 and any different tab configurations.

Russ said the 9 x 16 Tabs and the short actuators (28' cable) will fit the majority of the Yamaha models and years, which agrees with what I have been reading in the Forum.

So, please show Lectrotab, how many of us want this deal and respond to this thread!

Thanks Everyone-I'm already drilling my tab mounting holes! (just kidding)
How will we know when and how we can purchase

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How will we know when and how we can purchase
For all you "long affiliated" members, group buys are a routine procedure evolved from the not to be named out loud "other forum". So, bare with me as I try to explain.

Usually, it starts when a member thinks, I want to buy some expensive mod but don't want to pay full price and are willing to wait for a forum member or Vendor (hey, Will) to post a thread to see if any members would be interested in pooling our buying power for a better price for the mod. I waited and waited and waited.......

So, if enough (usually 10 members) call in and purchase said mod they will get the % discount for that # of sales. If 20 or more commit to buy the mod the discount increases.

Ok enough of that....

This is what I know based on a conversation with Lectrotab. They are willing to discount the aforementioned trim tab configuration to a percentage (unknown at this time) only with 10 committed buyers from this forum. Like I mentioned, they will let us know what that % is when I call them tomorrow or they join the conversation in the thread.

I am just guessing (I will know tomorrow) that with 20 members committed to buy we will max out the discount and probably can start ordering the kits next week!!

I am sure by tomorrow you will have all the details which will be posted on this thread.

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OK, this is the deal from Lectrotab

The kit we identified as the base unit that will be sold thru this program, will contain the following:

2) S-BK-24, short, 12VDC actuators w/28’ cable

2) T9x16-9282, stainless steel tabs, w/taper bent sides (up)

1) MLC-1, manual leveling control

These kits are typical for all of the Yamaha, 240 & 242 models.

Here are the price ranges we’re offering. (The list price of these components $1,306.00)

1: $786.00 (standard, single kit discount)

2-10: $698.00

11-20: $653.00

21-30: $598.00

ifly4fun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OK, this is the deal from Lectrotab

The kit we identified as the base unit that will be sold thru this program, will contain the following:

2) S-BK-24, short, 12VDC actuators w/28’ cable

2) T9x16-9282, stainless steel tabs, w/taper bent sides (up)

1) MLC-1, manual leveling control

These kits are typical for all of the Yamaha, 240 & 242 models.

Here are the price ranges we’re offering. (The list price of these components $1,306.00)

1: $786.00 (standard, single kit discount)

2-10: $698.00

11-20: $653.00

21-30: $598.00
How would we adjust these components for small boats? 19' 21' etc..?

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Knock Knock …

By my count we have 22 interested members!

To get the Max discount we have to turn those interested members into committed buyers!