• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Let's talk: Slide Anchor On/ Off Shore Spike

ApelilaRains

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I've searched on our site for reviews on Slide Anchor On/ Off Shore Spike, but only found reviews on their other product which was the box anchor.

Is there anyone out there who uses their on/off shore spike? Are they worth it and will it work on the windy/choppy days at Lake Texoma.

Let me know, need it as a stern anchor only (1 of 2 anchors).

http://slideanchor.com/store/index.php/shore-spike.html

@Andy S has the slide anchor shore spike it has done well on our Bahamas trips. Its great for keeping the stern of the boat towards the shore but if your frequently anchoring to far from shore to get this anchor there you will want a second rear anchor instead. If I was only choosing one secondary anchor on the boat this would probably not be it I would want something I can use in the water as well but if your true intent for it is just to use it to keep the stern of the boat facing the beach it is great!

@Andy S has the slide anchor shore spike it has done well on our Bahamas trips. Its great for keeping the stern of the boat towards the shore but if your frequently anchoring to far from shore to get this anchor there you will want a second rear anchor instead. If I was only choosing one secondary anchor on the boat this would probably not be it I would want something I can use in the water as well but if your true intent for it is just to use it to keep the stern of the boat facing the beach it is great!

Thank you @robert843 , that's exactly that we would only use it for is when we want to beach and have the stern facing the beach. I couldn't find anymore review on it other than through Amazon, it seemed like it would work great.

the shore spike is awesome but pricey compared to competing products. About $80 for the standard size model a little more for the longer one rated to hold house boats in place. What is nice about it is that the hammer /weight is built onto the handle which makes it easy to set and remove. If it becomes hard to use it may have sand or dirt on the inner shaft, just rinse it and it is as good as new. They have two loops on them, a heavy one on the spike itself and thinner one on the top of the handle. I tie the boat and toys to the heavy one and a bouy / marker on the top loop. I’m so happy with it that I usually use it instead of my box anchor when I go camping and have the boat in the water for several days and nights at a time. This past season or the one before it a nearby camper told me I should get my boat out of the water before the winds pick up at night, I passed since I have the shore spike and when morning came my boat was right where I left it and I was able to get on the water first while everyone else was preparing to relaunch their boats. I’ve been so happy with it I got another just to hold the skis and inflatables in place. If you get one just try and be aware of where it is in the water at all times. If a boat drives or drifts into it my money is on the spike coming out of it damaged unlike the fiber glass boat or jetski that hits it. It will leave a mark or dent possibly even a hole.

The box anchor is great as well I bought a second as a stern anchor but haven’t had the opportunity to use it yet. The only product I have not tried of theirs is the Danik hook, at $35 I just don’t see the benefit/functionality of this product.

Thank you @Ronnie , that's what I needed to know was the worthiness of the product and can it HOLD. In regards to the cost, that doesn't matter at this point as the convenience of it being compact, it will fit well in the stern storage for easy storage when not in use, rather than another full anchor I'd have to find a place to store.

I've always used a box anchor w/anchor buddy off the bow and a slide anchor w/ danik hook off the stern. I doubt I'd ever use anything else, love everything about it.

I been using a "dog tie down spike" for the stern and it works great! I only had it pull out one time this season due some very rough waves created by couple skis.

@ApelilaRains , I’m not sure I ever tried to put the spike in the swim deck storage compartment but i think it would fit in there even with an anchor buddy. I would want to secure it somehow to keep it from sliding around and bouncing off the surrounding fiberglass . The spike is heavier than it looks.

I have been very happy with the slide anchor spike. The spike seems to hold as well as using an other anchor on the beach. At the time I bought my spike anchor I didn't have or foresee the need to anchor off the stern and bow in deeper water, so I didn't buy a second anchor. As for storage of the spike, as mentioned above the spike is very heavy and I would only store the anchor in a very strong and secure location.

I bought this slide anchor from west marine this year. Holds the boat very well combined with my fortress FX-7 anchor.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--shore-anchors--P014063853

newboat1.jpg

Here the slide anchor is under water with a bumper tied to it so you know something is down there, the FX-7 anchor is off the front, slide anchor off the rear.

thecrew.jpg

Shore Spike and the Danik-Hook ... go together like hand & glove and cats on mice. Set the spike deep enough and assuming you are stern to the beach w/a bow anchor set properly and you are good to go. 6 years of regular use and only one dramatic swim to my boat, because I was busy getting drunk on a beach and didn’t properly set my Box Anchor at the bow. I keep the Shore Spike by the helm on the floor. I’ve tried using the clean-out hatch, but frankly this requires too much quick gymnastics when trying to slide your boat between neighboring watercraft. Shut engine, grab spike and over the rear platform ... works.

Thank you all!!! I do appreciate the feedback and i'll be ordering that today! Have an awesome Christmas and a safe New Years!!!

I use the shore spike as well. I have the larger one and it never comes out, even when used on Mississippi sandbars with barge waves throwing my boat around. My only complaint is that it is rather large and heavy, so I only bring it for the purpose I mentioned. For light duty beaching and anchoring, I just use my baby box anchor or sometimes my small box anchor.

I store it in one of these types of noodles under one of the front seats. Note that this is not the standard noodle. The hole inside diameter is larger. I got this type of noodle at a store call Mills Fleet Farm.
scratch_noodle_toober01.jpg

I use a box anchor with an anchor buddy off the bow and a slide anchor secured to the beach off the stern. Works great for us.

Its great for keeping the stern of the boat towards the shore but if your frequently anchoring to far from shore to get this anchor there you will want a second rear anchor instead. If I was only choosing one secondary anchor on the boat this would probably not be it I would want something I can use in the water as well but if your true intent for it is just to use it to keep the stern of the boat facing the beach it is great!

Agreed. I used the Shore Spike all last season in this very manner and it worked like a champ. The only time I can recall it coming out was one day we ventured out and anchored on the Gulf side. Very loose sand and large swells that day. I may also have not had enough slack in the line to account for the swells. We did not stay long because we had a thunderstorm rolling in, then my buddy's boat did not start. But that is another story for another day...

the shore spike is awesome but pricey compared to competing products. About $80 for the standard size model a little more for the longer one rated to hold house boats in place. What is nice about it is that the hammer /weight is built onto the handle which makes it easy to set and remove. If it becomes hard to use it may have sand or dirt on the inner shaft, just rinse it and it is as good as new. They have two loops on them, a heavy one on the spike itself and thinner one on the top of the handle. I tie the boat and toys to the heavy one and a bouy / marker on the top loop.

The box anchor is great as well I bought a second as a stern anchor but haven’t had the opportunity to use it yet. The only product I have not tried of theirs is the Danik hook, at $35 I just don’t see the benefit/functionality of this product.

As mentioned, it is a little heavy. I keep it stored in the included canvas bag in the starboard storage, but I may try the foam noodle tip. Thanks @jetboater4life. Easy to setup. I tied the line to the spike using a cheapo hook similar to the Danik hook. Makes it easy to adjust lines through the day to account for tides. The saltwater took its toll on the cheapo hook, so I bought a Danik hook but have not used it yet.

I have used a slide anchor for a while to tether the stern facing the shore. Have
Slept overnight with my large 4winns cruiser for a long weekend. Even in windy/stormy conditions it never came undone
Highly recommend it

I used the dog tieout as well on a smaller (18') boat, held just fine in some rough water. I'm planning to get a slide anchor at some point.

Since I'm not an eagle scout/master knotter I also use the Danik hooks and they are awesome. I bought the galvanized ones which are a little cheaper. When I beach on a sandbar of the Mississippi, I go bow in and attach a line to each of my tie down strap eyelets under the swim deck in the back of my boat. Each line then goes through a danik hook and I attach the danik hook either to my buried box anchor or shore spike on each side of the boat. When things move around, I cinch up the lines with the danik hook and everything is good.

Next summer I'm going to try the 9.5lb shore anchor from westmarine mentioned in a post above. Just placed an order.

Back