• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Let's talk: Slide Anchor On/ Off Shore Spike

Dog tie-down spike....$5 at Home Depot...works like a charm

I tried a few dog tie down screws they never worked for me, either the ground was to soft like mud or to hard like rocks for the screws to get a good grip.

So the danik hook makes adjustments easier? I have a few carbiner like hooks that I use to clip buoys on to the shore spikes with but nothing that costs over $10.

@Ronnie, yes the Danik-Hook lets you take line in or out without having to fuss with the the cleat (or a knot tied to the spike). For me in tidal waters, very handy to “straighten” the boat out from the shoreline and also moving the stern closer to the beach as the tide rises. It’s kind of pricey, but definitely one of those “boating spends” that makes your life easier.

Danik hooks are sweet. In a pinch you can use one of these though: https://www.rei.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA...oelpytPJttIDIH4Vc_gqyySyeugKuMq8aAr0fEALw_wcB

The link didn’t take me directly to a specific product but to REI’s site. Just the name of the store makes me think i can’t afford it like the $800 sleeping bad or $200 Foldkmg chair. Great stuff but a lot seems to be geared toward more hard chore users such as Climbers who are trying to summit Everest.

Screw it, I’m going to order a pair of danik hooks. I wish I would have done so a few days ago so I could give one to my wife and Son for Xmas. I would not tell them what its function for at least a day. Just found I get them from Walmart.
5A3987DE-88CF-4AA1-977D-525505CF2F1F.png

This is the hook I used this past season...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nite-Ize-3-8-in-Aluminum-CamJam-XT-Rope-Tightener-NCJLA-01-R3/206442738

As I said, the saltwater took its toll on it aesthetically, but if I spray it down with lubricating oil it seems to still work ok. Nevertheless, I am anxious to try my Danik hook and will keep the other as a backup.

My method to anchoring is to drop my Fortress off the bow tied to a cleat and back stern in towards the beach. Once I get in as close as I can, I jump off with the Shore Spike and line already tied off to a cleat on the swim deck. Depending on how close I can back in, the Shore Spike with 50' line may be any where from up on the beach to covered by a couple inches of water.

The hook makes is nice to adjust the line for tidal movement, but I do still have to go and adjust the bow line as well. A possible adjustment for next year will be the addition of an Anchor Buddy attached to the bow. Since we are typically in shallow water and tides are typically running out during the day, my theory is to drop the anchor with anchor buddy attached to the bow. As I back in, it will stretch the anchor buddy and secure the boat with the shore spike. Then as the tide moves out, I just use my Danik hook to let some line out as the anchor buddy pulls the boat out a bit.

@waternutt I like the idea of that Anchor Buddy might need to get that as a stocking stuffer for my wife. She typically tosses the anchor out, since I operate the boat during the beach maneuver ... therefore it would be appropriate that this is categorized as “her gift” ... right?

@waternutt I like the idea of that Anchor Buddy might need to get that as a stocking stuffer for my wife. She typically tosses the anchor out, since I operate the boat during the beach maneuver ... therefore it would be appropriate that this is categorized as “her gift” ... right?

Your logic seems quite sound to me! :winkingthumbsup"

I've searched on our site for reviews on Slide Anchor On/ Off Shore Spike, but only found reviews on their other product which was the box anchor.

Is there anyone out there who uses their on/off shore spike? Are they worth it and will it work on the windy/choppy days at Lake Texoma.

Let me know, need it as a stern anchor only (1 of 2 anchors).

http://slideanchor.com/store/index.php/shore-spike.html
I didn't read all the replies word for word @ApelilaRains , but several words in your post here caught my attention. First of all, I have Slide "shore spike" experience along with Lake Texoma. I grew up in North Texas and on Lake Texoma. The islands and north shore of the Oklahoma side are sand and provide a wonderful place to back the boat to the shore and have the great swim deck we appreciate to just step on and off of. There are various ways to accomplish this, but a box anchor out front, and a Slide Shore Spike out back on the beach or even in 3 or 4' of water at the beach side, work just fine. When you secure the spike below water surface, just secure a float tied to the loop provided on the handle top so no one runs into it. It will hold, but I have had two of the large spikes, not the small. I had one on my '08 SX230, and I had one on my '12 SX 240. I carried both of them in the swim deck storage tray, along with my anchor rode (rope) to secure it. I have used the Danik Hook and just chose to use a stainless D ring clip to secure to the Spike and tie off at the boat, with excess rope going into the swim deck tray or just on the swim deck. With all the cruiser traffic on Texoma, you really need the large shore spike. As for storage, I bought one of the big pool noodles, that are hollow, that can connect the small pool noodles by sliding it into the large ones. Cut the large one to length, and just slide the spike into it to protect the boat in storage. Cut it long enough to extend from both ends so that the spike can't get out! When you set the spike, angle it toward the beach, with the open side of the "V" of the spike's edge facing toward the boat. That will give you the most resistance from the elements. You may have to reset at some point, but it is as secure as anything portable. I tried the dog screws and they were worthless in the soft sand at texoma, comparatively speaking. I agree that if you want to anchor deeper than 3 or 4', you will need a rear anchor. Hope this helps and I am not too late for Christmas!

I used a dog tie down for years before switching to the slide anchor. Love it. Never pulls out, easy to use. A bit large but worth it. The dog tie down was a pain. Took forever to screw in and barely holds in wet.

I also use 2 anchor buddy's. One on anchor and one on slide anchor, works great for me on lake. I dont like putting the boat on the sand so this works.

Last edited:
I have the large slide anchor. For what it is designed to do there is nothing better.

I cut an old piece of cheapo foam sleeping camp pad and stuffed it in the bag that comes with the anchor. It is a tight fit and works great.

Happy Holidays

I use a small box anchor for general anchoring. I don't recall who on the board made the recommendation, but I fold mine up in the anchor locker. If you collapse the small box anchor and run a piece of rebar through it, it'll fit nearly perfectly in the anchor locker.

When backing into the beach, I'll use the box out front and a shore spike on the stern. I usually run about 50-60' of line from the boat to the spike up on shore. It holds the boat through the chop on Lake Tahoe just fine. When not using the spike, I store it in the bag on the floor to the right of the captains chair. It seems to be the best place as it's easily available yet out of the way.

One tip I have found that works well is I've taken a sharpie and made bands on the anchor line every 10 feet. one band at 10', 2 bands at 20', etc up to 50 feet, then at 60', I have one band again. I've found this is really helpful for the crew when I ask them to throw the box anchor and give me about ___ feet of line (usually a little more than 2x the water depth). With this, there's never any question of "is there enough line out" or not

I generally use the shore spike in conbination with the anchor buddy (bungee cord). That allows me to pull the stern in close to shore for loading/unloading, then let the shore spike line out to allow the anchor buddy to pull the boat into deeper water. Very necessary during tidal or wavy conditions in the ocean.

I have used an anchor buddy on Texoma. If it is not pretty calm, unless the wind is pretty much in line with how your anchored, the wind can really move the boat around too much using anything other than solid rode, and if your anchored close to structure or ther boats, it is an issue. But in a calmer day, it is a great way to keep the boat off the beach. A compromise is to anchor in calf deep water versus ankle deep and then not move it. But in tidal conditions I get the necessity.

Last edited:
I have used an anchor buddy on Texoma. If it is not pretty calm, unless the wind is pretty much in line with how your anchored, the wind can really move the boat around too much using anything other than solid rode, and if your anchored close to structure or ther boats, it is an issue. But in a calmer day, it is a great way to keep the boat off the beach. A compromise is to anchor in calf deep water versus ankle deep and then not move it. But in tidal conditions I get the necessity.

Mel, sometime we need to get you to check out the new anchors I have. They are the bees' knees. =)

I have the exact set up that @txav8r had on his 2012 SX240, LOL
I used the spike/slide anchor while in Bimini and it was awesome.

Mel, sometime we need to get you to check out the new anchors I have. They are the bees' knees. =)
Tell me what they are @farrelltravis , I went back up to see your quote from Dan but couldn't find it. Probably a precious page?

Back