• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lifes milestones/1st Solo flight (parent brag)

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats. That's awesome.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well done. My first solo was in a T-37. I never got to take my dad up with me though! I never did civilian flying, unless you count my two ATP rides and check ride and airline flying (I don't count them!), but I am a licensed single engine CFI and CFII. Something I can see myself doing when my kids are out of the house and I get bored. I also hope to teach my girls to fly if they show that interest. You must be very proud!

Remember, when he takes you flying, he is the Pilot in Command. Sit back and do as your told Dad! Awesome...

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ya know, @justason .............. there are "THOSE" times ..........
when parental times seem to just Stand Still ............

And ya say ........... Now WOW !!!!!!! This IS Special ! Very Special ! [flag]
Big Congratulations your way.
Mikey Lulejian - Out here on the wet and soggy waters of Lake Oconee, GA

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Well done. My first solo was in a T-37. I never got to take my dad up with me though! I never did civilian flying, unless you count my two ATP rides and check ride and airline flying (I don't count them!), but I am a licensed single engine CFI and CFII. Something I can see myself doing when my kids are out of the house and I get bored. I also hope to teach my girls to fly if they show that interest. You must be very proud!

Remember, when he takes you flying, he is the Pilot in Command. Sit back and do as your told Dad! Awesome...
Very impressive resume!! I've been letting Alec take the lead on a great deal of subject points for some time now. Honestly...I think it all started when we got our boat and i became a full time passenger. Then gave up my Captain of our hockey team to him. He is Point man when we go hunting from the time the safe opens till its secured again.......i'm startin to think I may have gotten this dad thing right.

I acknowledge and look forward to taking true/solid leadership from him in yet another enviroment he has earned it in.

......now teachin my daughter to drive is a completely different subject!!!! But we'll get there!!!! Good foundation forming
image.jpeg

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks all! He still has a road to travel ..but part of it is his flight instructor cert. I just might be a student of his someday!!!

Perhaps my retirement project will be building a plane !!!
I say go for it Eric! I'm loving building my airplane, but prepare to open that wallet up far wider than flight lessons. My propeller alone cost as much as my recently completed lessons.

So worth it though! My intent in a few years is organising a Bimini trip by air!

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I say go for it Eric! I'm loving building my airplane, but prepare to open that wallet up far wider than flight lessons. My propeller alone cost as much as my recently completed lessons.

So worth it though! My intent in a few years is organising a Bimini trip by air!
Thanks Jeff !! I'm learning how to spend cash pretty effectively these days !!! ......As for the cost of building a plane....surely there must be all sorts of opportunities to cut corners or skimp on components ?!?! there's so many pieces involved NO WAY they're all really needed right ?!!?

Get that flight crossing organized ...we'll have boats waiting for you dockside!

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well. I came back here to dig this up....

to the original poster. After reading this a few months ago.... you(your son) had inspired me to complete my pilot license. :) Its just about all I can think of at the moment. Plus I mentioned it to my wife, and she said "go for it" so.... :) Our local (very small municipal) airport offers it , I hear just not very quickly, and the guy that runs it is a regular acquaintance. As iv'e done some printing work them for fly-ins and whatnot. Think they have a janky old 172 skyhawk to rent. Or a 310. but that's a whole nother day. ha

Ill be doing this when my bike is paid off, and as long as it doesn't interfere with our plan for a new boat. :) otherwise, its a "before 50 no matter what" goal. I am 40.

looking forward to it. thanks to you, and your son, again for this post.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

to the original poster. After reading this a few months ago.... you(your son) had inspired me to complete my pilot license. :) Its just about all I can think of at the moment. Plus I mentioned it to my wife, and she said "go for it" so.... :) Our local (very small municipal) airport offers it , I hear just not very quickly, and the guy that runs it is a regular acquaintance. As iv'e done some printing work them for fly-ins and whatnot. Think they have a janky old 172 skyhawk to rent. Or a 310. but that's a whole nother day. ha

Ill be doing this when my bike is paid off, and as long as it doesn't interfere with our plan for a new boat. :) otherwise, its a "before 50 no matter what" goal. I am 40.

Awesome !! I'll share this post with my son ! We wish you the best !!

Since I've posted this he has passed his FAA written and is schedule for the FAA check flight and oral evaluation to get his private pilots........I'm itching for that passengers seat !!!

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Peelz Very cool objective. Best of luck.

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Well worth the effort. I started my pilot training in September of 2014 and earned my license July of 2015 at the age of 44.

I'm currently working on building my airplane, which I hope to fly in 2017.

@justason an early congratulations to your son! Way to go!

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Curious... what are you building?A few weekends ago... I was bored and surfing the web.....i obsessed over building an rv-7 then it became a -10 then it was a zenith STOL i could put my BMW motor in... i tell ya, the end of the baoting season hit me hard this year. LOL Building a plane would be MASSIVE FUN. no time for it at the moment though. someday maybe. Also, building a plane i couldn't fly because i didnt make time to complete my license seemed silly HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm working on an RV 7. I finished the wings a couple weeks ago.

My blog is here...

Jeffsrv7ablog.wordpress.com
hahaha thats fantastic. I actually... have already come across your blog. GOOD LUCK to you! "when two internet worlds collide" Ill try and keep watching.

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If you are at all serious about building, I can't emphasize enough to get started sooner rather than later. I have NO regrets that I started building before I started flying. In fact, I wish I had started building way sooner than I had!

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
This is from my airplane factory (garage) as I type this up...

The metal part is the last and smallest bulkhead in the tail cone of the fuselage.

20160106_180729.jpg

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
awesome. ive seen an RV-7 fly in here. cool little plane. Not quite serious at the moment, honestly. what I'm thinking, is when the kids are more autonomous. that would fill that void. really not sure what Ill do. but the RV-7 is sweet. small, light, fast...aerobatic. and, looks cool.

for now. just keep researching. finish license first, and Ill watch your build progress. again, good luck.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
awesome job @upperdeck I've looked over some of the rv-7 web pages and some plans ...no small project, but one I could consider in retirement,.....my labor and my son's nickle for the kit....

question: once built: how do you fit the wings out past the garage doors ?;);)

actually, more seriously, how is the final transport to airport or airstrip worked out?. is there a final integration at the airfield?

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
For final assembly, I moved the wings into my living room where it was warmer than my garage. They are about 9' long, 5' wide and 18" thick. Right now they are stored in my basement.

Next is the fuselage. Once complete, you roll the fuselage into the driveway and test fit the wings. For final assembly, you transport the parts to the airport where the wings are permanently affixed. Some guys use trailers, some flat bed tow trucks. The move to a hanger isn't really a big deal.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For final assembly, I moved the wings into my living room where it was warmer than my garage. They are about 9' long, 5' wide and 18" thick. Right now they are stored in my basement.

Next is the fuselage. Once complete, you roll the fuselage into the driveway and test fit the wings. For final assembly, you transport the parts to the airport where the wings are permanently affixed. Some guys use trailers, some flat bed tow trucks. The move to a hanger isn't really a big deal.

no way, slap the motor in and and taxi that bad boy through town.

<joke> <mostly>

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
welp, it happened ! Alec got his PPL mid Febuary and took me up couple weeeknds ago (3/5/2016). it was a spontaneous rental and we had 45 mins flight time.
a condensed version:

I found myself a bit choked up as we left Terra-firma.,...heck its only been 8 years since he first piloted the boat ! He kept it to a scenic tour over an "educational capabilities flight"......with just a simple "this is what they call a steep turn" for fun....

Mom's next....I don't think she'll do too well, but she's a trooper...she'll suck it up and keep her eyes closed !
Thanks for listening.

Last edited: