• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Line-X'd the Keel

Mully262

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
You've sent me down the rabbit hole. Line-X has a tensile strength of 6,600lbs. It is also used in bulletproof vests and bomb resistant building designs. I am guessing that the underlying fabric (the fiberglass) is going to crack long before the line-x does.

Keel guards may be able to better absorb some of the impact that is transferred to the fiberglass, but I bet that is just splitting hairs on what is better.

I did find an interesting mention of Line-X being used to repair existing keel damage. I found that noteworthy.

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You've sent me down the rabbit hole. Line-X has a tensile strength of 6,600lbs. It is also used in bulletproof vests and bomb resistant building designs. I am guessing that the underlying fabric (the fiberglass) is going to crack long before the line-x does.

Keel guards may be able to better absorb some of the impact that is transferred to the fiberglass, but I bet that is just splitting hairs on what is better.

I did find an interesting mention of Line-X being used to repair existing keel damage. I found that noteworthy.
science.jpg

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What we need is a POC, (proof of concept). Get some fiberglass and line-x it and get a piece of keel guard and do the same. Then video it being scraped, then hit with hammers or something sharp then dull and then see what the damage looks like.

I personally prefer the look of the Line-X, but want the impact resistance of the rubber.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Had a 9 foot strip of Line-X sprayed on Sotally Tober's keel today at Line-X of San Diego. I've previously had a Keel Shield and Keel Guard on my older boats, but figured I'd try something different.View attachment 119991View attachment 119990View attachment 119986View attachment 119987View attachment 119988View attachment 119989View attachment 119984View attachment 119985
@Sotally Tober ..... I like the way you do things. As my Grandfather used to tell me you can do it cheap/fast or do it right. IMO you consistently do the latter. BTW when you say "deployed" I assume you are in the American Armed Forces? If so thank you for your service. :cool:

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
What we need is a POC, (proof of concept). Get some fiberglass and line-x it and get a piece of keel guard and do the same. Then video it being scraped, then hit with hammers or something sharp then dull and then see what the damage looks like.

I personally prefer the look of the Line-X, but want the impact resistance of the rubber.
@HangOutdoors ..... "impact resistance" holy crap HO - how hard do you hit the beach? :cool:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Its not the beach. Submerged pilings in rivers and bays, stuff floating down the St. Clair and Detroit River or possibly something left in the water that sunk when the ice melts like a shanty or something. In Lake St. Clair and the rivers around it, you would see all sorts of things. In the Bigger Great Lakes, I am not as worried and in the local lakes I am not either.

Seen some pretty big logs floating around in LSC and such just under the surface and you see them when you are on top of them. Could even be a bottle or what ever the ass hats throw over board now a days.

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Sotally Tober ..... I like the way you do things. As my Grandfather used to tell me you can do it cheap/fast or do it right. IMO you consistently do the latter. BTW when you say "deployed" I assume you are in the American Armed Forces? If so thank you for your service. :cool:
Thanks!

Active Duty U.S. Navy 21 Years and counting. Prior Navy Chief and currently Limited Duty Officer (Lieutenant).

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Its not the beach. Submerged pilings in rivers and bays, stuff floating down the St. Clair and Detroit River or possibly something left in the water that sunk when the ice melts like a shanty or something. In Lake St. Clair and the rivers around it, you would see all sorts of things. In the Bigger Great Lakes, I am not as worried and in the local lakes I am not either.

Seen some pretty big logs floating around in LSC and such just under the surface and you see them when you are on top of them. Could even be a bottle or what ever the ass hats throw over board now a days.
@HangOutdoors ..... you know I was just havin' fun with that comment, right? :cool:

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Thanks!

Active Duty U.S. Navy 21 Years and counting. Prior Navy Chief and currently Limited Duty Officer (Lieutenant).
@Sotally Tober ..... AWESOME ..... I am a military "brat". My father retired as Commander Canadian Armed Forces Lakehead West. At various times he was stationed in Fort Bragg, Washington D.C., Germany and three Canadian Provinces. I grew up riding in tanks, jumping off parachute towers, flying in airplanes and firing all sorts of weapons - a boy's dream! My wife (aka the boating Admiral) retired as a Canadian Air Force Captain. So when I say thank you for your service I have some idea of the sacrifices men and women in the Armed Forces make due to deployment orders, frequent family re-locations and the many dangers they face. So - Thank You For Your Service! :cool:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Thank you! Since my hull is black, shouldn't be too hard to match. Already on the phone with a few shops, just trying to find someone who is comfortable doing it. Loving all the pics you included; that'll be the blueprint for what I give the installer (especially the one all nicely taped showing how install SHOULD look).
My local dealer in WI said he wouldn’t touch it.

Mully262

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
Doesn't look like there are any places in MN/WI that are able to do it. Pretty common in TN, TX, FL... But not here I guess.

BBottoms

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Doesn't look like there are any places in MN/WI that are able to do it. Pretty common in TN, TX, FL... But not here I guess.
I'd be curious where in TN. I've checked with a couple dealers here in KY and they acted like I was crazy.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ask Project Farm to do the compare!

King

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good luck! Other forum members have expressed difficulties finding a shop to do it. Remember, Rhino Linings is another option if you come up dry with Line X.
Sotally,

I found a Line-X outlet reasonably close that claims to have the largest application bay in the state that's eager to run a stripe on our keel. The catch is, we'll be the first one they've ever done. They had to reach out to their regional tech folks to get a better understanding on what all is involved. The price I was quoted was about three times what you paid. The Line-X guy here feels that the folks you went to might have some tips that will cut down on prep and install time, thus lowering the price. Can you tell me which location in San Diego you used so that I can have our guys give them a call? I did find a "Line-X of San Diego" and if I had to guess, that's the one. Just wanting to make 100% sure first and to ask; are you still happy with it, would you do it again, have you seen anything that you think is better since having it installed?

Thank you