• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

lost max rpm on 250hp scarab

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
If everyone is in agreement that there is something else wrong here and not the warm conditions, I will bring it back to dealer. The dealer tech here says it's ok to lose that rpm that's the problem

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Best spark plug gap for performance, I believe the spec is from 28-31

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think you need to take it back to the dealer and get a second opinion...... if they have another 250hp 19FTer on the lot tell him to take you out in that one to compare..... I was out last weekend in 30+ deg C. weather and no loss in RPM.

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thanks for the feedback,
What was your max RPM running at?

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
8100. I would do as others suggested and get new plugs. for your own peace of mind..... dealer may have checked them and not replaced them. if its not the plugs then you have a spare set which is always good to have. otherwise, I would bring it back to the dealer.

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Well put new plugs in and top off gas tank and nothing changed!(premium)
Now this morning the outside temperature was 75f and water temp dropped to 77f, got 7840rpms out of it.
Picked up wifee at dock and took it out again and could not get more than 7700.
Put octane booster in and actually lost 50 rpm?. Pulled plugs yellow gunk on them from octane booster.
Going to bring in Tuesday to dealer, sucky part is tempature going down to the 70s so it may not show loss of rpm for dealer.

R502

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Best spark plug gap for performance, I believe the spec is from 28-31
I replaced the plugs before winter storage last year. The spec show .30 gap. The ones I pulled were original from the factory. They were gapped at .025, same exact plugs as I replaced them with. I gapped the new ones at .030.

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Back at dealer,
Both brp and scarab is now involved with it.
I did everything I can do, so I hope that someone can figure it out soon, we love the boat.
Thanks for all the help guy's

WaltB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
The highest RPM I have seen on my boat on either 250HP is 7,600 RPM. Does not matter if I go max throttle early on or later in the day. The engines are consistent at a max of 7,600 RPM.

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Update!!!!!
Dealer did nothing and had nothing.
So I found a guy that once built race boats and he looked at my boat.
First thing he noticed is that the intake hoses are laying/ touching the exhaust/pipes!!!! Had me Insulated the hoses. Add 2 more vents next to existing ones for more air flow to engine and exhaust heat. I now continuously get 7900rpm, 40+mpr, engine compartment temp down from 105-110 to 80-90f.
One thing I found was that humidity also effects RPM!! Humidity below 50%I get 7900/8000 all day long ,60% and higher I dropped down to about 7800 so it's just not water temp or air temp, humidity seems to play a big part in these superchargers.

WaltB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Can you post some pictures of the new vents you installed. Cooling the engine bay is good for lots of reasons.

Thanks,

Walt

R502

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Update!!!!!
Dealer did nothing and had nothing.
So I found a guy that once built race boats and he looked at my boat.
First thing he noticed is that the intake hoses are laying/ touching the exhaust/pipes!!!! Had me Insulated the hoses. Add 2 more vents next to existing ones for more air flow to engine and exhaust heat. I now continuously get 7900rpm, 40+mpr, engine compartment temp down from 105-110 to 80-90f.
One thing I found was that humidity also effects RPM!! Humidity below 50%I get 7900/8000 all day long ,60% and higher I dropped down to about 7800 so it's just not water temp or air temp, humidity seems to play a big part in these superchargers.
Would love to see how the hose insulation turned out as well. Good find.

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Pics of modsIMG_20170806_093459438.jpg IMG_20170806_093453699_HDR.jpg IMG_20170806_093459438.jpg IMG_20170806_093453699_HDR.jpg you can see the new vents added far left and right. Move the exhaust to far left, added intake fan to far right.

Eddie Zepeda

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
good morning everyone,
got back my scarab 195 yesterday from dealer for the 25 hr service check and oil change , took it to the water and now i don't get max rpm(8100/45mpr), only 7800/ 40 mpr
oil is reading alittle high above top mark? nothing in impeller

Any feedback would be great
I' having same trouble. My 215 won't go over 40mph and 7k rpm.
Dealer said "hmm we'll take a look at it"

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
That's a lot more rpms lost than I had.