• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lost my gas cap...need a quick solution

JonE

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The nice lady filling my tank today apparently dropped my gas cap in the water (75 feet deep). I doubt that I find another cap in the next couple of days (I am in the a fairly rural area of Alabama). Any suggestions on jerry-rigging the cap? I currently have plastic wrapped with rubber bands (to make it from the marina to my lake house). I was thinking about duct tape with a couple of small cuts to allow for venting. Any other (better) suggestions?

By the way, my first post. I really like the site and constantly read through the post and find the info on this site to be extremely helpful.

The nice lady filling my tank today apparently dropped my gas cap in the water (75 feet deep). I doubt that I find another cap in the next couple of days (I am in the a fairly rural area of Alabama). Any suggestions on jerry-rigging the cap? I currently have plastic wrapped with rubber bands (to make it from the marina to my lake house). I was thinking about duct tape with a couple of small cuts to allow for venting. Any other (better) suggestions?

By the way, my first post. I really like the site and constantly read through the post and find the info on this site to be extremely helpful.

Venting shouldn’t be necessary should it? Isn’t there a tank vent already on the boat, near the cap? I know others are smarter than me, though, so wait for a few others to chime in. Lol

https://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oemparts/c/yamaha/parts or a couple other Yamaha parts sites will sell the actual Yamaha part numbers. I was looking for a stainless or billet cap the other day and found a few threads, but kept striking out on an actual vendor.

Welcome!!

That’s a bummer @JonE. I don’t have any quick fix for you other than some WaveRunner might have the same cap if there’s a place near you that has a repair shop.

I can tell you this, if you order one from Yamaha, don’t forget to order the gasket too. They sell the cap and gasket as two different part numbers.

@BigAbe75 is correct venting isn't necessary. The tank is already vented. It is the chrome cap next to the gas cap.

My bandaid solutions are the same that you already considered or are using.

1. Duct tape.
2. Plastic bag and a rubber band.

Also consider checking the local Craigslist for this part and / or get the part number if you can from yamahasportsplaza.com and see if you can order it and have it delivered on an expedited basis via amazon / amazon prime.

Back