• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lost Our Ability to Go Fast

DonJohnsMusic

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Boat has been running so good since we got the new battery, not one skip, now all the sudden we can’t go over 20 mph! Our 2nd to last trip we went for a very long ride in some pretty rough weather, no problems going there, but on the way back I decided to pick up the speed a bit to get us home faster, both rmp’s where lower and speed. Tried slowing down, then accelerating still same result. I figured we’d just get home and see if it does it again on the next trip out. Yesterday we went out again and same thing. After we anchored I looked at the cable see if it was going all the way to the stop when you push the throttle wide open. It was. I have been reading all morning about things to check and wondering what I should do first?
Plugs are brand new, just got the boat serviced. I like the idea of checking hoses, have not done that. Fuel filter clean? That looks like a job! It’s not that big of a deal because we don’t really use the boat to go fast, but I do want to the boat running properly and something has for sure happened, because our last trip out we were running like a scalded dog and I think we hit over 40! Would love to get everyone’s input on what to check.
BTW it’s a 2019 AR195.

Boat has been running so good since we got the new battery, not one skip, now all the sudden we can’t go over 20 mph! Our 2nd to last trip we went for a very long ride in some pretty rough weather, no problems going there, but on the way back I decided to pick up the speed a bit to get us home faster, both rmp’s where lower and speed. Tried slowing down, then accelerating still same result. I figured we’d just get home and see if it does it again on the next trip out. Yesterday we went out again and same thing. After we anchored I looked at the cable see if it was going all the way to the stop when you push the throttle wide open. It was. I have been reading all morning about things to check and wondering what I should do first?
Plugs are brand new, just got the boat serviced. I like the idea of checking hoses, have not done that. Fuel filter clean? That looks like a job! It’s not that big of a deal because we don’t really use the boat to go fast, but I do want to the boat running properly and something has for sure happened, because our last trip out we were running like a scalded dog and I think we hit over 40! Would love to get everyone’s input on what to check.
BTW it’s a 2019 AR195.
Did you just get the oil changed as well? If so it may be too full

Check the pump and impeller clearances. Maybe rope piece or other debris in pump affecting your power.

Nothing in clean out. I keep it clean. Oil was changed a while back, so to me it seems it would have happened right after? We got the oil changed back in October. Have been going fast many times after.

BTW it’s a 2019 AR195.
check your air filter and see if it has oil on it. like @Crob83 stated above and also what @Beachbummer says

Nothing in clean out. I keep it clean. Oil was changed a while back, so to me it seems it would have happened right after? We got the oil changed back in October. Have been going fast many times after.
look up in there, it could be something pretty small that creates the cavitation. Does it feel like a slipping transmission?

I’ll check clean out port again. Transmission doesn’t seem to be slipping. It’s very smooth at all speeds, just won’t go over 20. Just so I understand, when I’m looking should I be ok staying on the top of the boat or are we talking about getting underneath and looking at the clean out port? I’ve never done that, but if that is what I need to check I’ll do it. Trying to avoid taking it back to the shop again.

No transmission, direct drive. Impellor is turning when you start engine. Will the engine run up to cruising rpm's with no problem? If so and you only see 20mph, then there is something wrapped around the drive shaft causing cavitation. If it were a clean out plug issue, I think you would see water blasting out the hatch.

Yes, no problems there. Also, when I got home and did my flush I was able to get the rmp’s up higher than what I did in the water. What does that mean? The day I was talking about where we were out for a while, there was so much debri in the water, so I’m wondering if we sucked something up. Another thing, yesterday when we took off after anchoring the engine didn’t sound too good, louder than normal, but then it got quiet after we ran for a bit. Sounding more and more to me like something is stuck in there and I’m just not seeing it. I’ll take a look and let everyone know when we go out again or if I find anything.
Once again thanks for the great responses

You said you got the rpm's higher at home. Were you having a problem with the engine revving up thru the range? If so, check the seating of the spark plug wires. One may have come off.You mentioned new plugs. Who did the servicing? Did they use real NGK plugs? Yes, fake ones exist on the interweb.

Last edited:
Engines will be a bit louder when you first take off for the day as the water level in the mufflers is low from rinsing the engine and pushing out the water once the pump fills the muffler with the correct amount of water the engine will be quieter.
I believe you sucked something in your pump and it is probably in between the impeller blades where you can not see it from the clean out plugs, you must be very careful running in reverse in shallow water like backing off the trailer or from a dock as your pump is sucking everything off the bottom that your reverse thrust is pushing up into the water under the boat. When something is in the impeller your engine will rev but it won't go as fast as it normally would and it usually vibrates under power. As for going slow and not vibrating it could be many things dirty air cleaner element exhaust leak in the engine compartment bad plugs or bad fuel

Crawl under the boat when it’s on the trailer and look up through the intake grate to see if there is stuff in your impeller.

Yes, no problems there. Also, when I got home and did my flush I was able to get the rmp’s up higher than what I did in the water. What does that mean? The day I was talking about where we were out for a while, there was so much debri in the water, so I’m wondering if we sucked something up. Another thing, yesterday when we took off after anchoring the engine didn’t sound too good, louder than normal, but then it got quiet after we ran for a bit. Sounding more and more to me like something is stuck in there and I’m just not seeing it. I’ll take a look and let everyone know when we go out again or if I find anything.
Once again thanks for the great responses
This sounds like bad spark plugs. I used to see this all the time on Sea Doos. Or as stated earlier a plug wire is off for some reason.

You may have dropped the debris by the time the boat left the water. If the pump is truly squeaky clean, you need to try again, specially after mentioning there was a lot of debris out. It might be just fine now.

I would also check the oil again be sure the boat is completely level or in the water because if you have a bad injector it will add fuel to your oil and cause the level to rise , on the 1800 engines any excess oil will go in to the throttle body via the breather hose attached to the large air hose coming from the breather box to the throttle body so even though it was correct after you changed it it can still be over filled if a fuel injector is leaking .

New plugs. But usually, fouled plugs cause pulsating RPM's when throttled up. You should listen carefully to the motor while under way.

Run with engine lid open to rule out exhaust leak.

This sounds like bad spark plugs. I used to see this all the time on Sea Doos. Or as stated earlier a plug wire is off for some reason.

I recently solved a similar issue om my 2015 Chaparral 203 VRX by replacing both O2 sensors. One of them was very loose and could the initial problem.

If you have something stuck in the pump and you rev it up (in the water) it will vibrate like a cheap motel bed and make a lot of nasty sounds. If you ran over something and sucked it up while in motion at speeds greater than no wake and all of a sudden it looses speed and starts to shake as you rev it up there is something stuck in the pump.

If you cant get the motor to rev up (while in the water) irregardless of vibration that will be something else most likely but do the basic inspection first.

1. Get underneath with a phone camera on video and with the light on and then review it to see if something is on the leading edge of the blades or wrapped/caught in the intake grate.
2. Do the same from the back, lift up the Reverse gate and look in with a flash light.
3. You can easily disassemble (basic hand tools) the reverse gate and reduction nozzle if there is still some doubt as to something stuck. Once these two pieces are off you can inspect the stator up close.

Note: Revving up out of the water is deceptive because there is no load on the motor.

Any Check Engine Light?

Last edited:
Back