• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lost Our Ability to Go Fast

I’ve had great luck with Partzilla. So I’m all set. I purchased West Marine extractor after reading many reviews on it. Picked up a spark plug socket wrench so I don’t have to use needle nose pliers, ordered plugs and oil kit. I plan to change oil once, see how it looks and if it still looks rough and feels gritty, I’ll drain that and put in some more. I’d like to get that oil looking like it did before! I also will be putting in the plugs that were supposed to be in there. If I’m lucky it might get here in time to do the work and go out this weekend, doubtful, but I can always hope! I’ll give an update when I get all this done!

THE TWIGS WERE A LOT LARGER THAN REQUIRED TO KILL YOUR TOP SPEED BUT I THINK THE OIL WAS OVERFILLED AND THE EXTRA OIL WAS BLOWN INTO THE THROTTLE BODY FOULING THE PLUGS

@DonJohnsMusic This is how my plugs normally look after a season of running. This being the correct plug. Get the kit from JetBoatPilot with he correct plugs and Yamalube and test again. I had loss of speed 1 time a couple of years ago, it was due to overfill of oil. Lesson learned. 1640877241961.png

Here’s an update for those who have been following this thread... Changed the oil and plugs today and oil looked great! I took the used oil to Autozone to get rid of it and as I was dumping it in the barrel I ran it through my fingers, no grit and it looked really clean. I don’t understand how I was getting all the grit from the dipstick, anyway, ran the boat twice getting her good and hot and both times oil looked like honey! I did notice the oil had less of a gas smell then the old oil.
About the plugs, first like I said before they were the wrong ones and not properly gapped. So I put in new ones that were the correct plugs and gapped them from what the manual called for. I’m thinking that could have been also causing the speed issues?
Too cold to take her out, but at least I’m not worried about the oil now or the engine. Thanks to everyone who helped and gave me some great advise! See you on the water!

Dipstick tube could have rust build up on inside and when you pulled the indicator it brought up some rust and it stuck to the oil. Wouldn't worry too much about it

Had very similar issue on my boat last summer after the dealer changed the oil. They overfilled it and I couldn't get the boat above 20-25 mph. Sucked a little bit out, changed the spark plugs and it ran perfectly after that. Two lesson I learned...1) just plan on doing your own oil changes because no one will take care of your boat the way you will and 2) these engines are very sensitive to the oil level. Filling right in the middle between the low/high mark on the dipstick with maybe a smidge below dead center between high/low marks seems to be the sweet spot. Glad you got it figured out.

Totally agree with you on taking care of your boat! I was hoping to take her out this weekend, but another crazy wind and cold weekend! It was calling for 18 mph wind gust, 10-12 sustained and was going to go out, but then today they have changed it to 30 mph gusts! So now way am I going out with that! Really bummed about not getting to go out. What I did with the filling is did not fill it up too much, ran it for a bit then rechecked it, then got to the place where you were talking about. I’m hoping that will do the trick!

You are getting the crap weather we had for almost 3 weeks. 30 mph winds - No way. I wouldn't be able to get that damn cover back on again and I'm tired of buying new hats!

Totally agree with you on taking care of your boat! I was hoping to take her out this weekend, but another crazy wind and cold weekend! It was calling for 18 mph wind gust, 10-12 sustained and was going to go out, but then today they have changed it to 30 mph gusts! So now way am I going out with that! Really bummed about not getting to go out. What I did with the filling is did not fill it up too much, ran it for a bit then rechecked it, then got to the place where you were talking about. I’m hoping that will do the trick!
Glad to hear you got your engine issues resolved. You gained a lot of experience from this. That's a good thing.

Yes, and the tools to change the oil and plugs. No more having that done! With the West Marine extractor is was a breeze! Now just got to get this wind to calm down so we can take her out again! Damn you winds! Damn you to hell!

Yes the wind stinks but at last the Weather Gods showed favor and gave us two nice days.

Got a chance to ride in a 2017 212 Limited S (dual 1800 HO Naturally Aspirated). Absolute Beast. Can't imagine what a twin with the supercharged units must be like. Wowser.

Can you believe that same boat was what got us thinking about the jet boat. Don’t know what year, but it was for sale on the side of the road, two engines and I remember there being an area on the passenger side that you could put a toilet in or whatever, it was a big space. I was just impressed with the build quality of the boat. We didn’t look into purchasing it because we could tell they had not taken very good care of it, so we are happy with our purchase. Had a great birthday weekend just chilling. Weather is nuts here right now. Wind is blowing so hard it sounds like the roof is going to come off the house! We get warm then cold, back and forth! This is going to be a cold, cold week. Right now not sure how long until we can go out again. Bummer man! Later dude!

When I move back I will have to consider this size boat. Only 2' longer than ours and twice the grunt. That ratio has a lot of pluses to it.

Here's a photo from the drone late in the afternoon, I was already back aboard my boat.

Sucks out there in the East I know. My friend in South Hill VA has been sending me updates, I keep sending him mine.

Congrats on the B-Day...they start coming faster don't they.

Attachments

• Ky and Tubers IIa.jpg
    Ky and Tubers IIa.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 23
Wow what a sweet picture! Looking really sweet! Can’t imagine riding around with that in the background. It’s got to be humbling to being in such beauty!

Back