• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lost Our Ability to Go Fast

Going down to check on all these great suggestions now! Working on my last video for 2021! I’ll post when it’s ready! Episode 5 Zen Boating! I hope you all like it! Description coming soon...
After I check out the boat, I’ll post what I find out. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Ok, here’s the update. Looked at top, behind the bucket and under the boat and all I found were these two twigs!8E68F600-4123-4BF8-B631-6A841F1D1AAB.jpeg
Proceeded to check all the other things. Air filter clean and dry! Spark plugs all seemed very loose to me and look really dirty for just having them changed. At least that is what I was charged for! Do these look bad to you guys? They were supposed to be new from October. 9BD8AFCF-4A91-470C-A8F6-3F3393EE2222.jpeg
My biggest concern was the oil! After having it serviced in October it was clean. This is what it looks like now. Not good to me. Zoom in all this sludge. That is after serval times. Dip stick was also very hard to get out and looks like it is rusting. That is new as well. Not sure what is happening with that.
40B95A9F-9814-4D24-89D8-4FE0A5FF5672.jpeg
If this was your boat would you take it back out or get the plugs and oil changed first? I’m very concerned about the look of that oil. One other thing I found. My wife has better hearing than me. I’ve had some hearing loss from the younger years of playing music too loud! I had replaced the nuts and bolts on the engine compartment that was very loose when we purchased the boat. They had jimmied the hatch with all kinds of different screws and washers. Well, I found the original screws and washers in the bottom of the engine compartment! So she has been hearing that every time we go out!
Wow, what a day!

Change the plugs, looks like they have been running rich. Is that oil on the towel from the plug? I did not have a 195, but my plugs were more lt. brown/grey. What was the oil level on the dip stick? It looks high in the picture.

It was on the money, it’s high because I had it upside down to take the picture so it slid down. Saw someone post about NGK iridiums plugs. Do you think those are good as well? Thanks for the quick response. Do you have any concerns about the look of the oil? There is a gritty feel to it. It wasn’t like that when we purchased it and after it was just changed in October. This is something that has happened recently because I check it pretty often.

That plug is way too oily and the grit is Alarming. Are the remaining three the same?

As mentioned above, it's running rich. For comparrison below is my plug which is a 4 star energy CA boat.

Loose plugs? If they were too loose you might find oily residue on the boots..any? If they were only hand tight thats a problem. If it did take a bit of strength they're probably ok. For precise install you can use a torque wrench when you put them back (torque specs you'll have to find, memory is weak!)

20200719_192226.jpg

Wow, I’m nervous about our boat. Should I be? What could have happened between oil changes to make that oil so dirty so quickly?

I would pull the breather hose that runs back to the intake boot and see if it is wet with oil. If it is you might want to invest in a catch can system. It is wise to have on an intercooled system
20171016_174122.jpg

Last edited:
How many hours on the boat since the plug and oil change in Oct? Agree with @Neutron on the catch can to reduce heat sink.

Yes those plugs are definitely worse than mine that I changed last winter. I personally would change the oil and plugs myself so you know it's right, it's very easy. Also if you want to know how to or learn about how to install a blow off valve and catch can for the SVHO engines search "Listen up SVHO owners" in the search bar and look for the thread

Have been following this quietly….seen the pics of the spark plugs…those look bad. Growing up and to this day I’ve always heard on Yamahas to use the factory recommended plugs…was true for our 1996 Wave Raider, was true for my dad’s Yamahas, and is true for my 2017 AR210. Go get you some of the standard spark plugs and run those.

Now with the oil…I’d change it a couple of times to clear that grit out. If it feels gritty, it’s not supposed to. Supposed to be the lubricant for smooth sliding of mechanical parts moving at thousands of RPMs. Grit spells trouble.

Change the plugs. Change the oil. Change any necessary associated filters. Give the boat a few hours of running and check again.

Could’ve been those twigs too. I’d had a small twig slow me down

Try adjusting those 3 variables before you get any further down a rabbit hole.

Thanks! I have a question about the oil change. Been watching videos on it and almost everyone is warming up engine before draining, since my oil is in such bad shape, do I just drain cold? I’m going to call around today to try and find parts. Believe it or not, I live on the coast and no one supports Yamaha Jet boats, so if I have to order everything, it might be a while before I can get this done. I do appreciate all the words of wisdom. I used to ride motorcycles, street and dirt and would do general maintenance, but this will be the first time really working on anything mechanical, but from here on out, I’ll be doing my own oil changes and plugs. That is crazy that those little twigs could cause problems, but I can see how since most specs are in little millimeters!
I’ll keep everyone posted. Meanwhile enjoy my Zen Boating video I just posted.

Thanks! I have a question about the oil change. Been watching videos on it and almost everyone is warming up engine before draining, since my oil is in such bad shape, do I just drain cold? I’m going to call around today to try and find parts. Believe it or not, I live on the coast and no one supports Yamaha Jet boats, so if I have to order everything, it might be a while before I can get this done. I do appreciate all the words of wisdom. I used to ride motorcycles, street and dirt and would do general maintenance, but this will be the first time really working on anything mechanical, but from here on out, I’ll be doing my own oil changes and plugs. That is crazy that those little twigs could cause problems, but I can see how since most specs are in little millimeters!
I’ll keep everyone posted. Meanwhile enjoy my Zen Boating video I just posted.
You need to buy a pump to change the oil, lots in amazon for around $20. I ordered my OEM oil change kit from @JetBoatPilot store, They also have OEM spark plugs.
Amazon.com: Lotyes Oil Change Pump Extractor, DC 12V 60W Diesel Fluid Oil Quick Extract Transfer Pump Scavenge Suction Kit for Car, Boat, Motorbike, Truck, RV, ATV and Other Vehicles : Automotive

Last edited:
Hey bud just change the oil and the spark plugs that is a cheap maintenance to maintain. If I was you I would change the oil run it for an hour or two and re-change it again just to make sure that you’re happy on your end that is really clean and then count the hours when to change it I change my oil every 50 hours and my plugs once a year for my plugs never look that bad like yours do sometimes I do not trust the dealerships that do maintenance because they don’t go all the way and do a thorough check and change out.

Yes, that is the plan! Thanks! I was also thinking about the double change as well. Not sure what happened that the oil would get so dirty, because when the oil was changed in October by dealer I checked it when I got home and it was clean and smelled clean. Now it smells dirty and feels gritty. I also noticed they put in the wrong plugs. The manual says NGK-LFR7A, they put in 6A. I’m sure that will make a difference because I have the super charged engine, vs the 6A plugs are showing for the non-super charged.
Right now everything is closed, so it looks like we will not be able to go out until I can get the parts I need.
Again I appreciate all the words of advice.

Yes, that is the plan! Thanks! I was also thinking about the double change as well. Not sure what happened that the oil would get so dirty, because when the oil was changed in October by dealer I checked it when I got home and it was clean and smelled clean. Now it smells dirty and feels gritty. I also noticed they put in the wrong plugs. The manual says NGK-LFR7A, they put in 6A. I’m sure that will make a difference because I have the super charged engine, vs the 6A plugs are showing for the non-super charged.
Right now everything is closed, so it looks like we will not be able to go out until I can get the parts I need.
Again I appreciate all the words of advice.
The 6A's are hotter plugs then the 7A's so if anythign that should help your running rich issue.

Those twigs are bigger than anything it would take to cause the problem. No harm in changing oil and plugs, but I'm certain those twigs could easily cause your issue.

1640798638786.png

Can you believe I was an extra in that film! I’ve never laughed harder in all my life. It was like being on Saturday night live! Director had to tell everyone to please be quiet so they could get a clean audio track, but it was so hard not to laugh because Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly would do something different every take. It was a long crazy night! So much fun!

You need to buy a pump to change the oil, lots in amazon for around $20. I ordered my OEM oil change kit from @JetBoatPilot store, They also have OEM spark plugs.
Amazon.com: Lotyes Oil Change Pump Extractor, DC 12V 60W Diesel Fluid Oil Quick Extract Transfer Pump Scavenge Suction Kit for Car, Boat, Motorbike, Truck, RV, ATV and Other Vehicles : Automotive
second on jet boat pilot- they ship really quick and you can keep a digital record of when oil was purchased/changed.

Back