• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lowering the Engine Noise Level

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
82db is when my shooting earmuffs start damping sound. My new pipes for my harley are only about 10db higher.
I started at 87! A 5 db difference!
Granted what was said earlier is true, my mr-1 engines are spinning a lot of rpms!

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I dont find my boat obnoxiously loud. Could it be quieter, yes.
Some day i will experiment with soundproofing but not very important

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I saved the picture. The stuff is kind of flimsy, and just trying to lay it out without any glue I couldn't figure out how to make it all the way around by yourself without any issues. I was hoping if there were any tricks or tips for dummies someone could share.
With some of the glues e.g. high strength 3M spray glue, those need to be sprayed and let dry for a few minutes before sticking the working surfaces together. After air drying for few minutes (separate) those surfaces become sticky. It’s almost like creating your own self adhesive tape, if that makes sense.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I'll add, get the 3m High Strength 90. I tried the 3m spray 77, but it wasn't strong enough in my case. Much of it peeled off. I then redid it with the 90 and it held great all summer.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll add, get the 3m High Strength 90. I tried the 3m spray 77, but it wasn't strong enough in my case. Much of it peeled off. I then redid it with the 90 and it held great all summer.
Thank you - that’s the one!

S1LV3R4D0

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I ordered a can of 90 yesterday. I have a can of 77 for slapping printed targets on the big freebie but figured the super 90 would hold better. Im all about overkill, but in this case it was a good call. ;-)

dnicholas47

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With some of the glues e.g. high strength 3M spray glue, those need to be sprayed and let dry for a few minutes before sticking the working surfaces together. After air drying for few minutes (separate) those surfaces become sticky. It’s almost like creating your own self adhesive tape, if that makes sense.

Sorry, but here come some more dumb questions. Did you spray both the rubber and the hatch? And did you use 1 piece, or cut it into sections? Thanks in advance, and if you saw the boating fail thread you would understand why I am asking so many).

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry, but here come some more dumb questions. Did you spray both the rubber and the hatch? And did you use 1 piece, or cut it into sections? Thanks in advance, and if you saw the boating fail thread you would understand why I am asking so many).
I think I just sprayed the glue on the seal only, and yes - I cut it into sections and angles to run around the hatch.
I'm not getting ready for a re-do, after 2+ seasons the sections of the seal are getting worned out.

--